Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Big lift with busted CV - Need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 01:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, had work all day but I will make sure to take some pics and post tomorrow. I took it to a local 4x4 shop here on the island and glad I did as they showed me where the front spacers are the portion where the top of the spring meets the frame/bucket is cracking. So, they suggested removing the spacers on both sides and they will weld the crack and fix the cv for me for a ballpark estimate of $600 to $800 depending on what they may run into. So, I have an appointment set for next Wednesday to drop it off and have the repairs done. Yes, the truck is VERY stiff and I feel every little bump and they said it will rid a lot nicer with the spacers gone. They said it is a little bit of work to remove the body lift but I may have them do that down the road as I will see how the ride is after they finish the repairs on Wed. The wheels the PO sold me with the truck are 20in wheels, I may need to sell them and go smaller if I get rid of the body lift. Plus, they are not made for off roading as I see how much they cost, and how a small rock could easily ruin the sides of them.

Last edited by skillz; 08-04-2010 at 01:42 AM.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good choices. Body lifts are easy to take out (~ an hour) so don't let them charge you too much.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by brian2sun
Good choices. Body lifts are easy to take out (~ an hour) so don't let them charge you too much.

Fink
Old 08-04-2010, 09:45 PM

Here are a few pics I took today.

You can sort of see the crack I am talking about here:

Busted CV:

Passenger side:

Drivers Side:

Rear:
Old 08-04-2010, 09:56 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts

Don't drive that anymore. The CV holds the wheel bearing together. Your messing it up driving as is. I don't think the CV is busted it looks like it's missing the 36MM nut and cotter pin. You can pick one up at your local dealer.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:59 PM

Sorry, I forgot to post I have Warn manual locking hubs.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Either way, do you see where the CV axle is separating from the hub? Don't drive it like that. That whole lift is absolute junk.

Last edited by brian2sun; 08-04-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:23 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by skillz
Sorry, I forgot to post I have Warn manual locking hubs.
Actually, you posted that in the first post in this thread.

Pull the hub dial face off, it may not be missing the 36MM Nut but its missing a retaining nut.

It pulled out like that because the spacer lift allowed the whole thing to over extend.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:28 PM

Ok, I will make sure and have the guys check that first instead of charging me for a new CV. I will let you know how it goes once they get it repaired, I may call and see if they can get it in by this Friday. I really appreciate the help guys.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:46 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
skillz, I give you props for wanting to do this right. Whoever had that before you was all show and no function. Because it was all show it wasn't done safely. So Good on you for making it right. Also 16" rims for this would help make the ride a lot more comfortable.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:32 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Holy overkill, Batman!

Not my cup-o tea, but if you want to make that work, ya gotta drop that diff...

...dear lord. Locking diffs are all you need? The only thing that lift will do is help you break over... Drive it right and a ZERO lift with lockers can do the same thing...

Though I do reserve the right to say I've never seen Hawaii beaches
Old 08-06-2010, 03:36 PM

Holy crap, I thought my IFS truck was huge... Anyway you can get a pic with the hub cover off?
Old 08-07-2010, 08:00 PM

Ok, had work all day but I will make sure to take some pics and post tomorrow. I took it to a local 4x4 shop here on the island and glad I did as they showed me where the front spacers are the portion where the top of the spring meets the frame/bucket is cracking. So, they suggested removing the spacers on both sides and they will weld the crack and fix the cv for me for a ballpark estimate of $600 to $800 depending on what they may run into. So, I have an appointment set for next Wednesday to drop it off and have the repairs done. Yes, the truck is VERY stiff and I feel every little bump and they said it will rid a lot nicer with the spacers gone. They said it is a little bit of work to remove the body lift but I may have them do that down the road as I will see how the ride is after they finish the repairs on Wed. The wheels the PO sold me with the truck are 20in wheels, I may need to sell them and go smaller if I get rid of the body lift. Plus, they are not made for off roading as I see how much they cost, and how a small rock could easily ruin the sides of them.
are u on the big island?
how much would u want for those rims and tires?
Old 08-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you OP for saving that 4runner. That thing is so pathetic with all that lift and stupidly huge wheels.

Read through the build ups and get some ideas on how to make it into a nice offroad rig!
Old 08-08-2010, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by vital22re
skillz, I give you props for wanting to do this right. Whoever had that before you was all show and no function. Because it was all show it wasn't done safely. So Good on you for making it right. Also 16" rims for this would help make the ride a lot more comfortable.
Took the words right outta my mouth!

Fink
Old 08-10-2010, 08:29 PM

Well, I got the truck back yesterday from the shop and found BOTH cv axles were broken. So, they welded the crack in the coil bucket, replaced both cv axles and removed the 2 in spacers. Here are some pictures I took today:

Passenger side:

Drivers Side:

Front View:

Weld:

The truck is less stiff when hitting bumps in the road and they angle of the CVs isn't as bad. I am still thinking I may take off the 3in body lift pretty soon.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by mk96720
are u on the big island?
how much would u want for those rims and tires?
Yep, I live in Kona. Not sure about what I would ask for the rims/tires just yet I have to see what wheels I will be putting on it first. I will let you know though.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:44 PM

WOWIE WOW!!! props for reviving a dead runner. round of applause!! the cv's look much better. it sounds like we are all in agreement with takin the body lift off and puttin some 16's on and see where you stand. we definitely do some overkillin around here, but not like that. Kudos.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:49 PM

Yep, I live in Kona. Not sure about what I would ask for the rims/tires just yet I have to see what wheels I will be putting on it first. I will let you know though.
thanks,
im in hilo
send me a pm when youre ready.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:01 PM

I have a cousin in Kona that builds trucks. You should be able to find some good folks around to get inspiration from..

Quick Reply: Big lift with busted CV - Need help