Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

All Aluminum Radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 01:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All Aluminum Radiator?

I have a 91 pickup with a 22re. It has a pin hole leak in my radiator. Its where the top hose connects. First I replaced the top hose, and clamps when I was doing some other work, but the leak was still there. I'm going to fix the leak for now, but was thinking of replacing the radiator in the near future. I was reading online and everyone says that the all metal are better. So I was looking at the CSF's, but then I found a all Aluminum Radiator for just a little bit more on ebay, and was thinking that might be better. Won't corrode, and you don't have to worry about the plastic breaking. Plus it lighter. The one that fits my 2.4L is only one row, wonder if that would be okay?

What do you guys think, Metal or All Aluminum?

Heres a link to all Aluminum

Last edited by giantjoebot; 03-28-2011 at 02:04 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:05 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
The cheapest one is a one row, I believe stock is a two row. More rows is usually better. Get the 3 row. Cheapest route sometimes cost you more $$ down the road.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:33 AM

The 3 row is for v6 3.0, and I got a 4c 2.4. The only one that says will fit is the 1 row. I don't know, maybe the 3 row would fit, but I wounder if it would be to close to the fan. I thought that some of the 1 and 2 rows were better because the the rows are larger, giving them the same effect as more rows. All the aluminum radiators that I saw online for my truck were 1 row, and a few had 2 row. Honestly I'm a little confused. Some parts sites say my truck, 22re 2 wheel drive, will take a 3 row metal radiators while others say that it will only take a 2 row.

I 'm trying to contact the ebay seller to see who makes the that all aluminum radiator and where it is made. I havent heard back from them yet. I could try another seller because they look like they all come from the same place. I see a lot of steel products come out of China, but Im not sure about aluminum.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:09 AM

radiatorbarn.com. just ordered one from them for my car. All metal, not all aluminum, but great service from them and fast shipping. they have a 3 row all metal for your truck too.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:35 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-Row...item3f0846f618

how about this one?
Old 03-28-2011, 08:36 AM

Got a reply from the ebay seller

Hello, they are manufactured in China by Silla.
I can get an all metal CSF from Auto Parts Warehouse for a little cheaper than radiator barn. But I can't tell what brand the ones on radiator barn are. Are they CSF too, or are they a different brand?

Last edited by giantjoebot; 03-28-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think the all aluminum would be great. I had a hard time finding one when I replaced mine and ended up with the Napa brand aluminum with the plastic tanks. Haven't heard anything bad about them and it has a lifetime warranty.

Just another option. Oh and it's a 3 core that is thinner than the 3 core I had in there. My engine is the 4 cylinder also.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:20 AM
Banned

I just put a becool radiator in a 4runner with a 4.3 swap
It's a 4 core and runs really cool with the electric fans off
It might be time for a hotter thermostat
The 3 Core aluminum rad is a bit much for a 2.4
Old 03-28-2011, 11:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i got the aluminum one from autozone and its a 3 row for my 87 22RE its all aluminum except the tanks and the outer mounts.

my truck used to run about 210 with stock radiator and now with this one. it never gets above 185.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:34 AM

Yeah there is such a thing as too much cooling. According to bobistheilguy.com the engine is suppose to get to a certain temp and stay there. Plus if you temp doesn't get high enough you won't go into closed loop I hear.

Honestly from what I have been reading online, buying a new radiator doesn't sound so good. Have heard a lot of people saying that the radiators they got, even the CSF all metal, didn't last that long. Its making me want to just fix the small leak I got, and be done with it.

Last edited by giantjoebot; 03-28-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
One BIG row is better than 3 tiny ones, more fin to tube contact. So you really can't judge a rad by the # of rows. Aluminum tubes can be made bigger than copper/brass tubes because its stronger. I traded out a 3-row copper/brass rad for a 1-row Al rad.

On the over cooling issue, its not a problem because the t-stat will determine the coolant temp, not the radiator (at least on the minimum temp). This assumes the t-stat isn't stuck open of course.

Last edited by mt_goat; 03-28-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:19 PM

Youre right, I'm wrong. The thermostat does determine the temp. Fan cluch has something to with it too I think. I was running cool until I switched out a a bunch of parts on the cooling system. One of them was a cheap fan clutch I got at the part store with an oem one, and temps are back up to normal. Of course I switched out the thermostat to.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:33 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

i like my all metal one I got from Radiator Barn.

It is the 3 row model there were no problems with fitting.

I will stay away from all aluminum radiators as long as I can solder some flux and a propane torch have saved me from some long walks or expensive towing bills.

I have yet to find a fast curing expoy for aluminum that is uneffected by coolant and the normal road dirt in the aluminum after driving several thousand miles.

If anyone has a proven method I am always willing to learn something new.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:55 AM

Was the one you got from radiator barn a CSF, or is it different?
Old 03-29-2011, 10:44 AM

Mine was a CSF from radiator barn.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by giantjoebot
Fan cluch has something to with it too I think....
Not really, keep in mind once the t-stat closes all coolant flow to the rad is bypassed. The rad, fan or fan clutch have little effect on the engine temp until the t-stat opens up. The only slight effect might be the fan creates some small load on the engine and makes it run slightly hotter as a result of that little extra load.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:09 PM

Whats the point of a fan clutch then? Just to reduce load on the engine?

I went from running a little cool to running warmer after changing out the fan clutch. Though I do admit I did replace the thermostat.

I think a frozen fan clutch actually cools the engine, and doesn't heat it up. Or maybe it depends of the ambient temp.

And thats what one of the mechanics at the shop I took my truck to said. That the frozen fan clutch wouldn't allow it to reach the proper operating temp. It is an aluminum block.

But it doesn't matter either way. My truck is running better, and I'm just going to fix the small leak in my radiator. I heard to many people saying their replacements didn't last long. They just might have been the few unlucky ones. But I got a buddy who's a welder, and said he would help me with it. Just needs a little solder, and it should be fine.

Last edited by giantjoebot; 03-30-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:12 PM
Contributing Member

Whats the point of a fan clutch then? Just to reduce load on the engine?
Basically yes, its to reduce the load on the engine when the fan isn't needed.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
But I got a buddy who's a welder, and said he would help me with it. Just needs a little solder, and it should be fine.
And it's a heck of a lot cheaper! Good idea.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:16 PM

I ended up buy a 2 row all Aluminum Radiator becuase I did some more work on my cooling system. So I got one just for kicks, and the price was right, but it didn't fit my pickup because its made for 89-95 $runners. So now I'm trying to get some of my money back. Got an ad up in the Classified section if anyone is interesteed

Quick Reply: All Aluminum Radiator?