Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

96 Toyota 4Runner Transmission Whining

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 Toyota 4Runner Transmission Whining

I bought my 4runner about a 2 weeks ago from a previous owner, and when we test drove it I heard the transmission would whine when you hit the accelerator. It does this while in drive and neutral but not in reverse. I can see that the transmission fluid is really funky looking, but other than that the tranny looks good. I did some researching and it said it might be the torque converter, which are about 900 bucks. Just wanted to pick you guys' brains about it see what you think. I just created an account last night and I haven't read any threads just yet, but I plan too read all I can and gain some knowledge.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I, for one, would need more info. Does it whine on acceleration, deceleration, constant whine except reverse? Or is there a whine that follows engine RPM? Constant, steady throttle whine?

When you say fluid looks funky, exactly how? Black, red, chunky, pink, green, yellow, lots of air bubbles, what?
Old 08-13-2012, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rokblok
I, for one, would need more info. Does it whine on acceleration, deceleration, constant whine except reverse? Or is there a whine that follows engine RPM? Constant, steady throttle whine?

When you say fluid looks funky, exactly how? Black, red, chunky, pink, green, yellow, lots of air bubbles, what?
Sorry I should have been more specific. The fluid is black and chunky, and it whines constantly while accelerating, and still whines when decelerating but at a different tone, a lower pitched whine but still the same whine. Does not do it in reverse.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You're sure it's not coming from the rear diff? Seems like trans but you want to be sure before you go tearing into a trans. And that fluid condition certainly isn't helping anything.... You may want to change that, but with the understanding that a fluid change, or three, could make the trans worse...