Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

94 pickup pulling a atv trailer.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 pickup pulling a atv trailer.

After my last few camping trips, I have ran out of room with my quad and all my other camping gear packed in. Im tired of my truck looking like this and having no room left.
As you can see i have offically ran out of room. My truck is fairly stock with 32's and stock 4.10s. Its a little slow going up some of the hills going out to our campsite, which is 2 1/2 hrs away from my house. I know gearing will help out alot. I was curoius to see what other people had to say about this idea. I figured once i got my 4 inch lift, id run 35's with some 5.29 gears in the axles. I know that would help with my slow acceleration problem. I was curious to see how the truck would hold up with a small trailer such as this.

All i would be using the trailer for is holding the atv, the pickup bed would be used for luggage. I would like to change the axle to a stock toyota axle and possibly like to run the same size 35" tire so i would only need to carry at least 1 spare and wouldn't have to worry about some of the washouts along the trail. I would upgrade the brakes to some t-100 brakes, that would be the first upgrade before anything.
What im trying to say, i would like to make something along this line and dont know if my truck would be the right platform.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:03 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Smile

Is this a trip you make 50 weeks a year or just once in a while??

If your truck already is lugging all that weight adding a trailer will only change the load and handling

If possible get a trailer with brakes if not just watch your stopping distance.

I can understand your reason to carry just one spare but those trailers with pick up axles can be a real pain. If that is what you meant.

I would see if you can find trailer hubs with the same bolt pattern in this day who knows.

Just curious where do you go how many hills to go down
Old 06-01-2011, 02:35 PM

My 4-runner pulls a small trailer 65 mph easily. Only drawback is gas. I pulled a uhaul 5x9 trailer from austin to houston(about 3 hours sans trailer) with just a dirt bike. I was averaging 65-70 with a depressing trip mpg avg of 10.4. Ugh, and it was a non-enclosed trailer. Just an FYI
Old 06-01-2011, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Is this a trip you make 50 weeks a year or just once in a while??

If your truck already is lugging all that weight adding a trailer will only change the load and handling

If possible get a trailer with brakes if not just watch your stopping distance.

I can understand your reason to carry just one spare but those trailers with pick up axles can be a real pain. If that is what you meant.

I would see if you can find trailer hubs with the same bolt pattern in this day who knows.

Just curious where do you go how many hills to go down
We go camping about once a month. I guess i am being a bit unreal with trying to build such a big trailer. I would only need it just to carry my atv. Just with that, it opens up my truck bed so much. With just the atv, on a single axle trailer i wouldn't assume my tongue weight would be alot at all, I wouldn't image the handling being o so different. I could defintly just carry a spare trailer tire they arnt that big. I would probally try and find bigger tries to help avoid the dragging of the trailer on the ground. But if it drags, id just have to make the trailer a sled bottom. Going out to our camping spot, its about a dozen or so mentionable hills. Some are rather big and some are smallish. Either way, if gonna have to change my gears when i plan on going to 35's anyway, ill just have to run a large drop hitch.
Pm'ed camping spot.

Originally Posted by Cmurphy
My 4-runner pulls a small trailer 65 mph easily. Only drawback is gas. I pulled a uhaul 5x9 trailer from austin to houston(about 3 hours sans trailer) with just a dirt bike. I was averaging 65-70 with a depressing trip mpg avg of 10.4. Ugh, and it was a non-enclosed trailer. Just an FYI
I dont know what i get for mileage on the highway or regular city driving. My gas gauge doesn't accurately work and i know my speedo is off, so i just fill up every so often. I pushed 70 driving up and back last time, im sure if i kept my foot out of the gas a little on the highway, it would go a bit higher, but its not terrible enough to really concern me.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:01 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

You would be surprised how pulling a trailer changes the handling and you need to adjust your driving or your trailer will be sliding down the road on it`s side.

Some trailers at certain speeds get to whipping side to side that can also be an interesting when it happens.

In this day and age of way to many law suits don`t look for a off road park any time soon.

Making it up there in 2 and a 1/2 hours from down there you must have your foot to the floor I can make it up there in about 1 1/2 hours with no traffic. being a lot closer
Old 06-01-2011, 11:15 PM

Of course if i had a trailer i would slow down accordingly. Most of my trip is highway, i generally push about 70 and i know this KILLS my mileage as well as make it unsafe with a trailer. Like i said, i would slow down until i felt comfortable. To be honest, i kinda hope it doesn't turn into a official OHV park. We can take this to Pm's since i dont wanna get to obvious on the internet.