Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

93 Toyota pick up has lost performance. 02 sensor became dislodged 4x4ing

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 Toyota pick up has lost performance. 02 sensor became dislodged 4x4ing

Hi, new on here. I was 4x4ing and ended up hung up on a stump. The 02 sensor popped off and the check engine light came on. The performance was still not bad with the light on and 02 sensor re-mounted without the gasket. Finally my exhaust pipe cracked right behind the 02 sensor, and i began to lose power on take offs and climbing. I could no longer drive it out of town without dropping into 2nd (Hilly), where as i could leave it in 4th or 3rd if needed before.
I put an exhaust on from my parts truck and it sounds great, but as soon as i leave the driveway and get over 1500 she seems to bog and not want to go. I shoulld replace the 02 sensor with a new one i take it. the guys at the garage who welded the exahust remounted the old 02 sensor with gasket maker and im still getting crappy performance... what do i do? new 02? clean the MAF? I changed all 6 plugs and cleaned my dirty K&N as well.. Help
Old 06-10-2012, 09:21 AM

Received 219 Likes on 161 Posts
If it ran fine before the 02 break I would replace the sensor.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:20 AM

i went out and started it without the maf hooked up and it started and shut off. I plugegd it back, started fine.
I unplugged the 02 sensor and took it for a drive, it ran well for a km. turned onto the highway and it was sputtering and struggling and the check engine light came on.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:49 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Wink

Just what did you do to the oxygen sensor???

Rip the wire off?

Break it off flush with the pipe.

If the Oxygen sensor was exposed to dirt and mud you might get away with cleaning the sensor end on a clean wire wheel.

I have had them corroded from sitting causing a check engine light cleaning them cures the problem.

Might save buying a new one right now.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Just what did you do to the oxygen sensor???

Rip the wire off?

Break it off flush with the pipe.

If the Oxygen sensor was exposed to dirt and mud you might get away with cleaning the sensor end on a clean wire wheel.

I have had them corroded from sitting causing a check engine light cleaning them cures the problem.

Might save buying a new one right now.
Yeah i thought it might have gotten dirty too. It stayed connected to the harness, just bumped of the pipe (Rusty hardware). Today i tried to swap it for one from my parts truck but the harness clips were different, i just jimmy'd it to the old clip splice the 4 wires. Engine light remained off and perfomance was good for a minute, then returned to really chugging along till you get to a higher RPM. What is my truck telling me here? The wiring from the 02 sensors still look good as does the rest of it that continues to the front. Where do the 02 senor wires lead to? Is there a fuse i should check?
Old 06-10-2012, 04:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Assuming it ran fine prior to this... "4x4 trip" of yours and you say you damaged the exhaust and the O2 sensor and problems started?

Are you sure its just the exhaust you damaged?

Did you take on water or other elements of nature into the engine bay?

Crushed O2 sensor wiring?

Crushed Catalytic Converter?

These toyotas normally do lose some power with exhaust leaks but its normally not a severe loss unless its right at the manifold...

Kinda of exhaust set up equipt?
Old 06-10-2012, 06:14 PM

I'm pretty sure it was just the sensor at the time off the hang up, everything seemed to do its job in the under there. I did not take on water, but the exchaust i put on my truck to replace the broken one did. the cat on the one i mounted looks fine. but to take a step back, i never had a cat on the old one. could that be an issue?
The set up now is a magnaflow. i had to remove it from my 1990 parts truck i bought. cut it to install and brought it to Black HotWheels who specialize in mufflers to weld it together. they would spotted a problem you think...
I put some fuel system cleaner in there today and it hasnt helped much.
Runs awesome for about a minute, then boggy and sputtery.
Originally Posted by Kiroshu
Assuming it ran fine prior to this... "4x4 trip" of yours and you say you damaged the exhaust and the O2 sensor and problems started?

Are you sure its just the exhaust you damaged?

Did you take on water or other elements of nature into the engine bay?

Crushed O2 sensor wiring?

Crushed Catalytic Converter?

These toyotas normally do lose some power with exhaust leaks but its normally not a severe loss unless its right at the manifold...

Kinda of exhaust set up equipt?
Old 06-10-2012, 06:46 PM

Possible blockage in your used cat?
Old 06-10-2012, 07:11 PM

How can I know? Exahust seems to be coming out the tail pipe.
It feels Like it did with my exhaust cracked right around where the cat would have been,˟˟˟˟ty.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:06 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Wink

While you were playing on the stump did you perhaps crush a fuel line???

Put a big dent in the gas tank?? Knocked all the dirt from the ages loose and coated your fuel pump screen and sucked more into your filter.

Sounds almost like a fuel problem. Your not running out of gas??

Why do you think someone putting on a exhaust system might notice another problem. If it was a danger to the job they were doing yes if not don`t bet on it.

It seems you have the oxygen sensor problem fixed now you have other issues to find.

Good luck
Old 06-11-2012, 07:00 AM

x2--^

On possible damaged fuel lines and tank....
Old 06-12-2012, 06:37 AM

Alright, I'll have a closer inspection at the lines and the pressure in them. Thanks for the the help, I'll let you know of the progress