Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

'88 4Runner transmission identity

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 02:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'88 4Runner transmission identity

Ok, so I did some searching and came across this site http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/faq/parts/. According to this the only tranny I could possibly have is the R150F. I just want to make sure that this is correct because from reading all these people trying to explain the different tranny combinations for different trucks has me completely confused.

If that is the tranny I have, what other suggestions for where to get a rebuild kit for it other than Marlin? They are quite expensive and I'd like to do their Super HD Ceramic Clutch as well but $725 is a little high for me right now since I also need to get 4 new tires. And I need to do this all before December is over .

The problem I'm having is that it keeps popping out of 1st whenever I go to take off. It did it a couple times when I first got the truck but they were pretty distant from each other. Then yesterday it got a lot worse and was doing it pretty often. But now, today, its doing it almost every time I try to take off.

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated
Old 10-17-2008, 02:29 PM

Or does anyone a good used tranny for sale?
Old 10-17-2008, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a tranny/t-case in Sioux City, IA, but I cannot guarantee it's good as I've never had it in a rig.

Hopefully no gear damage has occurred yet, once that happens the repair goes beyond a rebuild kit and you can lose your core if you swap for a rebuilt tranny. (I've blown up a W56 and G52 beyond repair). I'd say $725 plus labor is a decent price for a rebuild and clutch, the only way to go cheaper is to roll the dice on a used tranny (~$500 in junkyards the last time I checked) and hope the same thing doesn't start happening in 10k miles.

Yes, the R150 is the only manual they offered behind the 3.0 V6 during it's whole run from 88 - 95.

Last edited by Cargun; 10-17-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nosfanatic2006
Ok, so I did some searching and came across this site http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/faq/parts/. According to this the only tranny I could possibly have is the R150F. I just want to make sure that this is correct because from reading all these people trying to explain the different tranny combinations for different trucks has me completely confused.

If that is the tranny I have, what other suggestions for where to get a rebuild kit for it other than Marlin? They are quite expensive and I'd like to do their Super HD Ceramic Clutch as well but $725 is a little high for me right now since I also need to get 4 new tires. And I need to do this all before December is over .

The problem I'm having is that it keeps popping out of 1st whenever I go to take off. It did it a couple times when I first got the truck but they were pretty distant from each other. Then yesterday it got a lot worse and was doing it pretty often. But now, today, its doing it almost every time I try to take off.

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated
i think your shift linkage is bent, before you go out and buy a spendy rebuild kit or new tranny id crack it open and see what is actully wrong. you can id your tranny with the numbers on it and reference them to the site you listed. im almost positive you can buy individual parts for the r150 (if thats what you have) the 3.0 was mated to only that tranny unless some jerk before you did somthing weird.
but thats what i have to say about it.
i wouldnt be scared to do your own work. it just takes a little patience but you will be greatly rewarded in the end.

Last edited by hillbillydeelux; 10-17-2008 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:51 PM

Well see the thing is that I'm going to auto mechanics school in January and we're rebuilding transmissions first thing lol. So I wouldn't need a tranny to last me forever, just to get me through till then. Then I can rebuild both of them and sell one . Idk though, we'll see what happens. Hopefully I can find a mostly good used one. I'll ask around and see who's willing to help me pull the tranny. Thanks guys

EDIT: I can get it to go into 1st every once in awhile. Ever since I got it its been hard to actually get it into gear, there's always been a catch. Sometimes its harder than others. But right now, if I shift it into 1st then 2nd then 1st and keep kinda playin with it, then I can get it to stay in first when I take off. Idk if this means anything though. . .

Last edited by nosfanatic2006; 10-17-2008 at 06:52 PM.