Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

86 toyota 20/22r shift problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 toyota 20/22r shift problems

86 Toyota DLX 4x4 20/22r dual timing chain fresh build/ 56 tranny

After rebuilding the truck tried to drive around the ranch to get a feel for gearing and power.

Originally had problems shifting into gear at all, read on a couple post to check adjustments, turned out to be shaft throw disstance under the dash on master cylinder. Shifts into 1st & 2nd like butter now. but I can put the shifter up into 3rd gear and let the clutch out and nothing stays same rpm idling, no torque -no clunk- no release bearing hum and certainly no third gear. Goes in forth but still idles when let out- fifth gear same as third

Also in relation: the high low shift selection must be on 2wd low just to get the truck to not wanna stall pulling outta the grass; has weber 32/36 & idle set @ 1,100 rpm

Now to dismantle the shifter bushing on top, take a look see.

Thinking that it might be the Clutch + related parts inside....ehhh bummer

Please do help!!! Would like to be driving it on the road and back roads before summer is over, lol. 5 month build thus far and its getting a lil frustrating
Old 08-11-2012, 08:43 PM

Ended up the toyota shop here in town had the shifter bushing and seat set instock. Swapped both out in 30 min. Shifts fine now.

Dealing with clutch slippage and pilot bearing failure as well, so it was a combo of problems.

Ordered Exedy stage 2 clutch, ACT flywheel, new pilot, new throw out bearing, and inner and outer shaft seats. And going to get Lucas tranny and tranfer oil as well.

Will update when all arrives and goes in...already installed Aisin master and slave and all new hardlines and 1/8 longer slave puck, doing the simple stuff first...
Old 08-11-2012, 09:05 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You would be better off using Red Line gear oil, in my opinion Lucas gear oil is crap.
But its your choice.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:16 PM

I agree on red line being great but Lucas hasnt failed me yet in anything else. Ive used royal purple in my Rx-7 and didnt notice much difference. I used stop slip several times on buddys toyotas and hondas. and Lucas saves me $100 per change on trany/diff/and tranfer case. everyone says get redline but Its way over priced if you trying do a full fuild swap on a 4x4. Sponsors helped out to much already unfortunately

lol In 6months ill prob post tansfer case is broken, F lucas oil but havent had a issue thus far. and their oil stabilizer make the engine run so much better for piston engines.
And of course seafoam after a fresh rebuild and mineral oil breaki-n-flush
Old 08-11-2012, 09:21 PM

Gonna drive 9 hours for a Chevelle Concert with my Uncle there in Idaho and do a little Fly Fishing. thank god there are plenty of rivers between here and there dont wanna flat haul ass there on a fresh rebuild let it heat/cool adjust on the way there. I trust it. If I can get a rotary home on clogged filters and bad injectors I think I can manage a toyota motor. Taking tools and timing light to ward off evil spirits though, LOL