Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

85 4runner engine seized or my tranny or my transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 4runner engine seized or my tranny or my transfer case

85 4runner...22re....i was driving down the road and my truck seized up.... so hard that it ripped the starter clean off and cracked off the right side lower engine mounting tab and snapped the front u joints off the fron of my drive shaft that powers the rear wheels.... here is where my confusion is... i thought maybe it was the engine that seized but if i but a ratchet on the harmonic balancer pulley the engine will rotate so i pulled the valve cover off and every spring will move up and down...i took off intake and exhaust and you can here compression....

so my thoughts maybe the trany seized up or maybe the transfer case seized up...the engine is out of truck now....since year drive shaft is not on due to snapped u joint i put it in 4 wheel drive and 1st gear i tried to push truck with my buddy and nothing we cant push it for the life of us...btw it will roll fine in neutral so i think the diff housings are ok...

sitting in driver seat and shifting threw gears it feels good.... so im not sure where to start... i obviously got to rebuild engine cuz of broken tab...but how do i figure out if the trany or transfer case seized up since the engine does spin with a ratchet... and sounds like its got compression and springs all move like they should.

has anyone ever heard of a tranny just seizing up with no warning like popping out of gear.....

please any help on what i should do....

Last edited by 1980bono; 12-02-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:44 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

You don`t say Auto or manual??

Now when you pulled the engine have you looked close at the flywheel and starter??

Were all the flywheel bolts where they should be .

Was the starter drive still in the starter?

I would be willing to bet some how something bound up between the fly wheel and the bell housing.

That is the only thing I have seen cause that kind of abrupt and violent damage. Been there saw it happen.

Look close I bet you will see a mark on the bell housing!!

I think you would have noticed any of the drive train going bad.

:jessica: Did you hear anything before it went BANG ???
Old 12-02-2012, 11:27 AM

i will inspect that stuff you mentioned..... as far as trany goes it is a manual...
the starter mounting plate did crack in the rip off but it is in tack as far as the out put shaft goes.... wife gets home from work soon and i will not have to watch the we ones...... i will post what i find as soon as i can... thank you
Old 12-02-2012, 12:34 PM

ok i inspected it.... all fly wheel bolts are in and tight so are clutch bolts.... the bell housing is very scratched up inside tho like there was something in there.... it is also cracked..... i was missing one engine bolt....

maybe starter broke off and a peice of it went threw that hole?????

the truck will role now with tranny and 4 wheel drice in gaged... and u can see the transmission out put shaft spin.....

any ideas...... do you think my tranny is still good.... engine still good besides the broken tab..... even the two side engine mounts that bolt to the block and then the trany were cracked in half......

is it possible something went in the hole the starter goes in got stuck seized everything up and then flew out as i slamed it in nutreul and stoped......
Old 12-02-2012, 12:56 PM

upon further inspectipon i found a bolt missing that hols the plate cover to the engine.... the one that goes between engine and tranny..... is it possible this bolt came loose seized the the fly wheel and shoot out of the starter hole cuz i cant find the bolt any where.....

i also found these in ther..... i dont know what they are....

any ideas
Attached Thumbnails 85 4runner engine seized or my tranny or my transfer case-tabs-low.gif  
Old 12-02-2012, 01:41 PM

Red face

I can`t say for sure it is possible what was in there fell out when you pulled the engine

Your drive train took a hell of a shock . your just going to have to put it together and see what happens.

As long as it feels smooth and it does not make noise you might get lucky.

If you have the extra money and want piece of mind . Pull the trans if you are far enough apart to inspect it be foolish not to do a bearing kit if nothing else is wrong.

The two metals pieces I had no frame of reference to there size.

Pieces of the Clutch fork ?? Clutch plate ?? :jessica::jessica:
Old 12-02-2012, 01:53 PM

i found a third piece of metal like that they are all about 1 inch long and 1/4 inch wide...... clutch fork is good and so is pressure plate.....is it wise to get the trany rebuilt if im rebuilding the engine........
Old 12-02-2012, 05:07 PM

ok so those peices are the clips that hold clutch release bearing hup to clutch release fork....... do i need to get new clips or are they something thats not really needed.....

i find it hard to belive that those clips caused the fly wheel to lock up...
Old 12-03-2012, 01:22 AM

Red face

well how would you hold the clutch release bearing to the clutch fork??

Is it possible you knocked those loose pulling the transmission??

One would be surprised it takes very little to stop a spinning fly wheel as you found out!!

As to rebuilding the Transmission if it has not been done and it is still original it can`t hurt.

Perhaps a Marlin Crawler exchange one if your close to the west coast.

If you can afford it with rebuilt engine new clutch rebuilt trans you should be good to go for another 1/4 million miles:jessica:
Old 12-22-2012, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are you sure those are the clips holding the bearing to the fork im just saying because on my w55 tranny the clip was like a bent paper clip same with the r150f (only because i used the same bearing when i swapped) they might be some of the "fingers" off of the pressure plate as to what caused it my only guess what that something in the tranny siezed because you said in neutral that the truck would roll which would mean that the tcase is free right, not sure though
Old 12-22-2012, 06:51 PM

I would have to agree those look like some of the pressure plate spring/fingers. if the bell housing is scored, and you're pulling the motor to replace the block anyway (maybe talk to someone first about welding the tab back on, starters have tons of torgue, so i'm not sure, but I have welded to a cast block before) then maybe pull the clutch to inspect it all before putting it back together.

Might be time for a new clutch anyway.