Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

84 pickup cowl

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
84 pickup cowl

My 84 pickup doesn't have any type of screen under the cowl, where does all the debri and water go? I grabbed a couple cowel screens from the junk yard to put on but haven't pulled the cowel yet.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:49 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
The water eventually drains out down by the rear of the fenders. The debris will eventually create rot as it just holds water. Coryc85 is currently trying to fix the rust on his due the debri not being able to get out. On a fairly recent post on my 86 runner, I show how much debri does get into there and how to go about getting it cleaned out.

On the passenger side under the cowl, there is a stove pipe to keep the debri out but it can go over it and go straight to your blower motor and from there it goes to your air conditioner system if you have AC or to your heater core if you dont have AC. I try to show in a couple of my builds how much debri can get under the cowl.

On some of the screens you mentioned, I have noticed some have a wire mesh on them and some dont. I would recommend trying to find a set with the mesh on them if you can. From what I have noticed and this may not be absolute correct. Some trucks dont have the screens and other have the screens and may or may not have the wire mesh.

Even with the screens in them, I have found some really dirty ventilation systems. Once you get the cowl and dashpad off, it isnt to bad of a job to clean the ventilation system and it does give a fresher smell in the cab. To get the debri out, you will need to pull the cowl. Just remove the wipers and the cowl is held on with screws or tabs.

Dashpad Removal>> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51778558

Below is some of what I had in mine. The blower motor was out of balance due to debri as well.

Copied....
The windshield cowl screen is missing and had a lot of leaves and such down in the vent and blower motor. I did this on the 88 also. While having the dash apart, I cleaned the blower motor and getting some of the ventilation pipes cleaned also. They do get a lot of dust build up in there. Have ran water through them before and looked like mud coming out of them. Seems to help keep the truck smelling fresh on previous projects. Was surprised at how much dust came out of blower motor from the brushes also.
Name:  dirtyblower.jpg
Views: 1197
Size:  46.5 KB

Took an air hose and blew the dust out of the motor while at it. I use a 5 gallon bucket of water and air hose and cleans small item really well.
Name:  cleanblower.jpg
Views: 1152
Size:  46.1 KB

Copied....
If you dont have AC, the dust goes straight to the heater core. This truck would not heat up. I eventually just cleaned the washed the dust out of the fins and it will run out of the cab due to the heat now. If you have AC, the dust and debri gets stuck in the evaporator or condenser ( not sure which one it is under dash).
New one on left and clogged one on the right. Just need to flush fins with soap and water.
Name:  heatercore2.jpg
Views: 1155
Size:  120.7 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 07-10-2013 at 02:06 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:12 AM

Thanks, I'll have to look up your build threads. Im sure there is a lot of debri in mine, theres a tree near where I park that drops small pieces that easily get down in there. I can't picture how the water and debri is diverted or where the exit holes are at the rear of the fenders. This truck had A/C that is now used for onboard air and the cowel screens I picked up have a metal mesh screen.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:54 PM

Received 275 Likes on 186 Posts
PERFECT reason to buy one of these .. and NO it does NOT hinder air intake

will keep snow , pine needles , leaves and other "stuff" that pre-motes rust

Old 07-11-2013, 06:19 PM

Does anyway have pictures/diagram of how the water and debri are supposed to be diverted out?
Old 07-12-2013, 02:34 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

In the very top right hand of this picture is the opening of where it drains. You will need to pull the fender, or you might be able to get to it by pulling the inner fender. You can see the damage Cory is dealing with as well.
Name:  IMAG0359_zpsf63e93c0.jpg
Views: 1324
Size:  93.0 KB

Here is a picture that you can see a little better. To get the debri out under neath the far corners if it has turned to mud can take some patience as you cant reach it with your hands. I use a shop vac with small hose, then something like a toilet brush, especially on the passenger side as the stove pipe gets in the way, then and air hose. After it is cleaned I use soap and water to get the film off.

Something else you can do, is to remove the 3 screws that hold the front mudflap on an then one or two more screws that let the inner fender move forward enough to see how much debri is setting in your fender area. Another view just above harness.
Name:  a66.jpg
Views: 1295
Size:  52.5 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 07-12-2013 at 02:42 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:38 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Slacker, I check out your website from time to time and I must of missed the cowl, I wished I would of known of it when I painted my 86. Some of these cowls get alot of build up in them and it causes alot of problems on interior and exteriors. Glad you are providing parts that are improved or unable to be found.

Last edited by Terrys87; 07-12-2013 at 02:40 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:31 PM

Thanks Terrys87, that helps. I don't even have the inner fender so it should be pretty easy to see what's going on in there. I'll try to get the cowel off tomorrow and clean it up a bit in there. What should be attached to the cowel, I know there are a couple screws and maybe some clips but is there anything else that should be attached? Mainly just want to know if I'm missing anything so I can keep my eyes out at the bone yard.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

On the front of the cowl there are 5 screw and clips total. The rear is underneath the windshield trim and just slides out.

The black screens are what you will want from a salavage. Some will have the wire mesh on them, some wont. I dont know if it is a newer option or if the mesh just comes off after a period if time.

I wish I had known Slacker sold the solid cowl when I painted my 86 runner. Even with the mesh, they can get dirty.

Copied...
I tried to get a picture of it, but there is a stovepipe that is on the passenger side and it goes directoy to the blower motor. Sometimes debri can get over the stovepipe and gets into your ventilation system or cloggs up the AC condeser.
Name:  cleaning16_zpsa115709d.jpg
Views: 1689
Size:  83.2 KB

This may be half of what I got out. I used the shop vacu and then an air hose to get the rest out. There is drain holes on the far edges of the truck for water to get out, but the drains can clog. Another shot of the cowl screen I was talking about. I also took the truck to the windshield shop and had to them to remove the trim. Even after watching them, I dont think I could get it off.

If you are going to have a truck painted, removing alot of these things will give a better and cleaner paint job, as well as preventing rust.
Name:  cleaning15_zpsd510fd2f.jpg
Views: 1721
Size:  100.0 KB
Old 07-20-2013, 05:37 PM

I finally had a chance to pull the cowel, there was a good amount of dirt and leaves. I didn't have access to a hose where I was working on it but I think I got it pretty clean with my hands and a shop vac. Feels good to get that stuff out. I put the screens on although I don't know how much it will help considering the other large and small openings that don't have covers.

I pulled this rubber piece to clean the area and now I can't figure out how to remove the clips that hold it on , reaching under they feel square and really tight.
Name:  photo_zpscc52da33.jpg
Views: 1367
Size:  57.9 KB[/URL]
Old 07-21-2013, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Slacker, I check out your website from time to time and I must of missed the cowl, I wished I would of known of it when I painted my 86.
Thanks Terry

we are building products fast and furious (with quality of course)
New products coming online all the time . We have actually had these for about 8 years now , with AWESOME results

Old 10-08-2013, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have a fiberglass cowl/vent cover for an 82 Toyota pickup?
Old 02-02-2014, 06:49 PM

sorry for my delay ...
No .. the cowl on the 79-83's is not a "bolt able" piece it is incorporated into the body .
if you have a look on my Trekker build , I cut the vents out and welded a pieces in to eliminate the vents .. so that is basically what you would have to do

Old 02-02-2014, 08:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hah hah, only about half a year but better late than never I say! Thanks though. :-) I sprayed a bunch of this goopy stuff in there and called it a day.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

The way a first gen is built, I think about the only way to get in and get it cleaned out is by removing the wiper motor if I recall right. If I am correct that still doesn't give a lot of access inside the cowl area.