Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

3.4 supercharger lacks power

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I would ask the group, if any one has any ideas on why my truck is acting strange.

Here is my truck and what I have done.

The truck is a 1995 Toyota T100 5 speed M/t that came stock with the 3.4 V6. I rebuilt the engine 2.5 years ago and have only put about 25K miles on it since rebuild, and it runs fantastic. I had the idea of putting a supercharger on it to gain power. I ended up finding a nice 1st gen supercharger (grey) I completely tore it down to replace the rear bearings hat support the roots. I did not tear apart the roots assembly since those need special tooling and know how to do properly. I added the 7th injector kit and it is in the stock form with no modifications to tuning yet. Then I added the dynamic tensioner from TRD to keep the proper tnsion on the belt.

I installed a 1998 T100 5speed ECM, because I read about the issue that the older computers have with timing issues. The older computers retard the timing as soon as they sense boost.

I installed the computer using URD's jumper harness. I had to change the ends on the jumper harness to match the new computer. I used wiring diagrams from the TIS website to make sure everything matched up the same. This way i can remove the whole piggy back fuel system and return the truck back to stock if I decide to do so.

As of now, my truck is a 1995 T100 5peed 3.4 v6 with 1st gen supercharger and URD 7th injector kit with a1998 T100 ECM and URD jumper harness, throttle body spacer and TRD dynamic tensioner and upgraded fuel pump.

Now here is my problem that I can not seem to find a good answer to. I start my truck and it starts just fine. I take off down the road from a stop and it actually feels like it has less power than it did without the supercharger. When the RPM's get above 3K it feels like the truck is holding back and losing power. Also it has no more power off the line than it did without the supercharger.

I have the boost port that points to the firewall going to the piggyback control module from URD. The other port that is just above the bypass valve and that points toward the front of the engine, I have going down to the fuel pump regulator. Next I have the small vacuum port going to the vacuum diaphram on the throttle body and the 4wd. The large vacuum port on the right side of the supercharger pointing to the driverside fender is going to the brake booster. Then the two large vacuum ports on the rear of the supercharger, one is capped off and the other is going to the evap with a "T" that goes up to the electric valve that has to do with the power-steering, which is located just above the temp sensor, I also ave another "T" that has vacuum going to the Bypass valve.

I checked for vacuum leaks and exhaust leaks and can't find any.

I have driven the truck for about 50 miles and nothing seem to help. I also used up almost a 1/3 of a tank of gas in about 50 miles. From what I just mentioned I know it seems to be running real rich. I talked to Gadget and he said it needs to be run to self adjust to elevation and that the tuning in the piggyback fuel control module is set to a good starting point. How can it seem to be that bad though.

I'm seriously thinking of pulling the supercharger off and putting the truck back to stock as it seems to run better that way.

I would appreciate any help i could get or any ideas that you have.

I would also like a definate answer on how the vacuum lines need to be run, as I have searched the web and can't find a real answer.

Feel free to email or call
435-232-o498

Thanks
Old 01-11-2013, 06:08 PM

Update:
I had my laptop commected to the Programmable Control Unit that runs the 7th injector. I was going through the program and noticed that I had no RPM's showing in the program. I spoke with URD and they said that some of the older trucks don't see a RPM signal when you connect the Black and Yellow wire of the PCU to the (IGF signal) of the ECU. They said I need to run a wire up to the tach wire of the igniter and then connect that to the black and yellow wire of the PCU.

I will get that hooked up so that the PCU sees an RPM signal and then I will post an update to see if I get any improvement.

I also have the Bypass actuater hooked up to a boost port now and it actuates when I blip the throttle, where it wouldn't before when I had it hooked to vacuum.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:58 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Once you get that wired up, you can actually record your runs you make and watch to see that the 7th injector injects as it should. Is the sc a grey 1st gen? or a black second gen?
Old 01-11-2013, 09:32 PM

The supercharger is the 1st gen gray model, that seems to be more tan than gray. It looked real good inside when I took it apart. When I start the truck I don't even notice it there. It is super quiet, unlike the ones I hear about that sound like gravel.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:33 AM
totally a bro
Staff

A SC will rumble at idle slightly. A bad bearing in the nose cone will sound like gravel. I can't help with vacuum routing as I have a black second gen sc.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:36 PM

I would add a air/fuel ratio gauge especially with the Urd stuff to see exactly how rich or lean its running, you should have noticed a significant gain in power with the supercharger. Also I'd verify the front o2 sensor is compatible with the newer ecu, I have seen those not work together properly and causes it to max out the fuel trims and run way too rich.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:16 PM

Update:
I had a little time today to work on the truck. I braved the cold weather and went out and ran a wire from the igniter to the PCU. I tied into the black wire #8 of the igniter and ran it to the black and yellow wire of the PCU. After that small task I pulled out the laptop and connected to the PCU and, what do know, I had a RPM signal.

I then decided to test the truck out a little. It seemed to have a little more power, but it was kinda hard to tell since I was driving on ICE and SNOW. I will find some dry stretches of road and see if there is an improvement.

Thanks for the idea to check what the O2 sensors are doing.

This weekend I'm going to take the truck to my dads home. There I will plug his scan tool into the OBDII port and read what the O2 sensor is doing. I will see if the reading fluctuates from high to low. That way it will tell me if the O2 sensor is working. This will also allow me to put a few more miles on the truck to see if my MPG improve or not.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:48 PM

seems like ur lack of power is due to the engine choking on fuel check ur plugs they may already be fuel folded so even though u mite fix the problem u still mite not be getting good power improvements cuz ur plugs are fouled and u cant burn the fuel.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:35 PM

Update:
I drove the truck on a short road trip to my parents home for the weekend. I planned on using my dads snap-on scanner to check o2 sensors and other info that the computer would give me. Unfortunately my parents were away and my dad had the scanner; just my luck. When cruising the truck ran fine, but when I start to pull a grade; roughly a 6% or so the truck would feel like it was holding back. The truck seem to have a litle more power than before. I could hold 75 mph in 5th gear on the grade where before I had to down shift to 4th to maintain 75.

So I got home and started the truck up and it was cold and I noticed I had an exhaust leak between the crossover pipe and the rest of the exhaust. In finding this exhaust leak I ordered new gaskets for it. I will get them installed and see what it does to the performance. I also ordered a chep scan tool that is supposed to show fuel trims; cross my fingers to see if it actually works or not. Soon I hope to get a a/f ratio kit so i can see where all my gas is going. Normally I would get 16-18 mpg with my truck, but after my short road trip it went down to about 10 mpg. If having the supercharger is that bad, I will be pulling it off and selling it to the next lucky victim. Only time will tell.

As for the plugs, I gapped them at .032 and they are the IK22 plugs that come with the 7th injector kit. I also spocke with gadget at URD and he suggested I change my over pressure setting from 2.9 to 1.5, I don't know what that will do so again fingers crossed and hope for the best.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:38 AM

yup sounds like yours is doing what mine was when i first got it installed, i was feeling the same way when i couldn't get it to hit properly, the leak also causes the front o2 (a/f) to read wrong. So will a leak in your air tube after the MAF to the throttle body which you should also check for cracks or even a loose clamp, maybe post a video would help a lot!
Old 01-22-2013, 06:57 AM

I would love to post a video, but I don't dare climb out on the hood while my wife drives it up a hill trying to get it so studder. I would have to figure out how to upload a video, or pictures for that matter.

I did check the intake tube for cracks and loose clamps and found none. Ya these tubes are prone to cracking when they have been around for nearly 18 years.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:00 AM

3.4 lacks power

Update:
I changed the pulley to the smaller one to get more boost and I then started running 91 octane with 1.5-2 bottles of octane boost and the power gain was significant. Along with adjusting the the fuel map a little. It was running to rich. After the adjustments it was a lot better, but it still needed an A/F ratio gauge to get it properly dialed in.

I had a crazy idea of listing my truck for sale after all this was done. It turns out I sold my truck and the new buyer wanted the truck stock.

I removed all the Supercharger parts and the 7th injector kit and it is now on Ebay for sale. If anyone is interested, just look up TRD supercharger on ebay and you will find it.

Thanks
Old 02-28-2013, 01:04 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Well thats sad to hear. But atleast you got it dialed in.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:21 AM

3.4 lacks power

Ya it was sad to let the T100 go. I had become really attached to it. It never broke down and got me everywhere I wanted to go.

My brother in law deals with modifying the dodge cummins. He keeps asking me when I'm going to buy a real truck. Since I'm a toyota guy, the only thing I could tell him was to find me a 4bt cummins and I would put that in a toyota truck.

I love toyota's and will probably own one forever. I have already lined up a new to me 06 tundra 4x4 4door limited. We will see how I like it.