Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

3.0L toyota idle issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.0L toyota idle issue

1990 Toyota standard 4x4 no a/c
The truck will start and i can keep it running only at 2,000 rpm. No codes come up anymore after changing.... here comes the list, tps, throttle body ass., maf, fuel filter, air filter, plugs, cap&rotor, and i have a spare ecu (but that's not the issue). Note it had a propane conversion but i have removed all components of that hack job. I have checked the egr no problems there. Can't find any vacuum leaks.
My thoughts now is the fuel pump. give me your in put and I'll get back to you about any progress.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

Moved to the Newbie Tech Section.

Can you be a little more descriptive than "idle issue"?

Fink
Old 08-02-2010, 11:05 AM

Sorry it's my friends truck and I let him post on my account.

The truck starts but barely idles, sounds really spitty/sputtery when you rev it, just removed the cat so it's not a plugged cat. We did a full tune up, replaced TPS and had it adjusted by my buddy I work with at Kal Tire who is a mechanic and Toyota guy. Cleaned the EGR, replaced MAF, tried a different ECU.

The truck had a propane conversion and it was a real hack job but compared to when he first got the truck it runs a bit better, if it gets warm enough it will idle at around 200rpm for a few seconds then die. The truck has hardly any power but will still run as long as you keep on the throttle.

I think a new wiring harness maybe, but he might as well do a 3.4 swap which he is gonna save for anyways I think. Just sucks cause he can't drive his truck even temporarily until then. Also thinking it might be a leak in the intake manifold somewhere, dumping in too much air behind the MAF?

Any help is appreciated, would it be possible to get this out of Newbie Tech as I don't see how this applies to that area and having it in the right section would get us more input.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:08 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Part of the issue may be with vacuum lines. You should have a diagram of the vacuum lines on the hood showing you where all t he lines go and there is a butt ton of 'em. These can be really a tough find, but they do age and crack so even a line that may look fine to the eye may be cracked and under load, extra air is getting in there. Another issue may be your Idle control valve (ICV). While it is part of the throttle body on 2nd gens it may be defective or at least is a potential issue. Seeing how you swapped out TBA I am a bit sceptical but it was an issue on my daughter's 93. Cleaning out the ports on the TBA will help to ensure the ports for the ICV are not blocked as well. But I would look at vacuum lines first. Good luck