Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

22re swap wont start need help please!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re swap wont start need help please!

OK finally finished my 86 22re "may be an 88 as the emissions match up with the 88 diagrams not sure" swap/transplant into my 84 carbed pickup. got the wiring harness all hooked up everything works my external e2000 is working and pumping fuel, ive checked the banjo nuts on the plenum and theres plenty of fuel pressure. ive got spark, ive got everything plugged in the engine is primed with oil "oil light went off". it cranks but will not start "frustrating" i jumpered the diagnostics and got trouble code 21 and 51. error code 21 is related to o2 sensor, the donor truck i got the whole efi system + engine i did notice the o2 sensor on the exhaust back by the cat and did not hook that up at the time i didint know what it was but i will hook it up tomarrow, could that be preventing it from firing up? also error 51 im assuming its in regards to my clutch start cancel button, it wouldint even crank before till i figured that out and hooked up, so it does crank over now but still wont start. unless its related to somthing else? any advise would be awesome and extreamly helpfull thanks guys. on a side note the 22re ran fine before i got it rebuilt and did the swap so i know everything worked, truck was rolled drove it around with a smashed cab lol". did more reading into more on the error codes and 51 may also be related to tps IDL circut , pnp switch circut "whatever that is", accelerator pedal/cable, and or the ecm according to this manual. i hope the ecm is not bad but other then the ecm could the tps prevent it from starting? http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1990-1995...e/diagnosi.pdf

Last edited by esuever; 09-23-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You should really really learn to use periods and stuff lol so that we can understand what your asking.

For example: You should really, really learn to use periods, commas, and other punctuation marks. This helps us old people understand what you are trying to explain...
Old 09-23-2012, 04:44 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Assuming your timing is right, I would try to start it with a little starting fluid. I know you said you had spark. But if it would help tell if it even tried to start. If it didnt even try, you could go with a spark issue. If it did try, you know it is a fuel issue. Thats the way i go about it. Quick and easy for me. May not be the correct way.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by rokblok
You should really really learn to use periods and stuff lol so that we can understand what your asking.

For example: You should really, really learn to use periods, commas, and other punctuation marks. This helps us old people understand what you are trying to explain...
haha my bad i get lazy.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Assuming your timing is right, I would try to start it with a little starting fluid. I know you said you had spark. But if it would help tell if it even tried to start. If it didnt even try, you could go with a spark issue. If it did try, you know it is a fuel issue. Thats the way i go about it. Quick and easy for me. May not be the correct way.
ill try that out to try and narrow it down
Old 09-23-2012, 12:30 PM

so im highly suspecting its due to code 51, but there are multiple possibilities as to what 51 relates to. i unplugged my tps just to see and it would throw code 41 as well untill i replugged it in, so would that mean my tps is fine? such as this post says 51 is related to "Code 51 AC signal on; DL contact off (in trany shifter with diagnostic connector jumped)" and then this post says 51 could be these "switch condition signal. Displayed when IDL contact OFF or shift position in ’R’. ”D”, ’2’, or ’1’ ranges with the check terminals E1 and TEI connected
Throttle position sensor IDL circuit
PNP switch circuit

Accelerator pedal, cable

ECM

Old 09-23-2012, 03:12 PM

its running lol always somthing stupid the distributor was on wrong....