Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

22RE-GM Alternator swap - Give me the run down

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RE-GM Alternator swap - Give me the run down

Ok, so I've been reading up on the GM alternator swap, and just can't seem to straighten out exactly what I need to do...so if you can answer some questions for me that would be great:

1. Alternators that can be used are the one wire GM Alternators, so the CS series and Si series? If you could tell me a couple exact models of alternators and what year of which vehicle they came off of that I could use that would be great, I'd like something around the 105 - 130 amp range (the higher the better)

2. I've read that you can stack washers on the back of the alternator and wiggle it around to make it fit with no bracket...but then a bunch of people make the GM bracket swap kit....why would you need the bracket when it's simple to make it fit? Or which alternators would you need the bracket with?

3. In order to make the Toyota wiring work with the GM alternator, you must cut off the Toyota connector and rewire it to a GM connector correct? Can you buy these connectors just themselves?

Thanks for the help in advance the help is much appreciated!

Edit: this is for a 22re.

Last edited by 89silverpu; 06-08-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 182 Likes on 127 Posts
Interesting questions.

1) didn't know about the washer stack thingy
2) I would just go to your favorite junkyard and score that connector.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:50 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Here is some good info, I have been looking into doing a one wire swap as well

http://toyota2wd.proboards.com/index...13&page=1#1424
Old 06-08-2010, 08:53 PM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/c...nstall-209649/
I book marked that thread because eventually when I upgrade to lights and winch, I'm going to want to upgrade my alternator as well.
That thread is full of tons of info.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:26 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
the price of the mounts have come down so much I would just get the mount (mine is on the shelf ) and not mess with mickey mousing it with washers...
Old 06-09-2010, 09:05 AM

X2 this looks well worth every penny:

http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...8-C640863FB1C9
Old 06-09-2010, 09:10 AM

Here is that alt you need for the LC bracket, the ACDelco 12Si
http://www.napaautoparts.com/Search/...294_0006541824

Its looking like if you get the bracket, alt, and scrap the connector from a junkyard, this could run only $100. If you found a good Si alt at a junkyard (I would be a little sketch, but you could have an alt rebuilt for $60) it could even be a little less $$
Old 06-09-2010, 09:10 AM

you can buy the connector at autozone for a couple buck and stack the washers....

Also the only alternator i found was off a 84 chevy 350 its only like 84 amps or so...

let me know what alternator you use because i would like to upgrade also???
Old 06-09-2010, 09:30 AM

I stacked some washers to fit an alt from a 302 on to a 454, went back and put the correct brackets on. Regarldless of the engine, washers are mickey mouse to the max, do it right so its done with
Old 06-09-2010, 12:44 PM

Yea mickey mouse BUT cheap!!
Old 06-09-2010, 06:34 PM

Thanks for the help guys! I've got some reading to do and then if I have any other questions I'll be asking...if anyone else has some questions they need answered from someone feel free to ask them in here they may help me out too...
Old 06-14-2010, 08:08 PM

OK so I went with the TG adapter kit and ordered a 94 amp 12si alt and wiring pigtail from Napa....a few questions before I try and tackle the swap...

1. Do I need to upgrade the wire going from the alt. to the battery to a thicker gauge? Like an 8 gauge wire or what?

2. Anyone have a part number or know of a belt that will work? Or should I just go into the parts store and try and find one that is a bit longer by comparing the stock one to the ones they have?

3. Do I need to put a bigger fuse inline from the alt to the battery? I would assume so...Or is there an inline fuse at all? I know nothing about the electrical systems on these things, this is my first time messin around with this kind of stuff...

4. Is there anything else I'm missing?

I wanna make a good write up on this all as I'm doing it, there are a bunch of write ups, but nothing very detailed and straight forward.

Thanks for the help in advance!
Old 06-14-2010, 08:15 PM

What where did you find that wiring pigtail? can you share that P/N i've been lookin in junkyards like they're going out of style and I only can find 10si pigtails!!!!

That TG bracket setup looks just like LC's, and on Lc's site they say the stock belt can be used. Ha same price too, check out the description http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...8-C640863FB1C9
Old 06-14-2010, 08:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 182 Likes on 127 Posts
Nice man! Can't wait to see the write up!
Old 06-14-2010, 08:43 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I put a cs-130 on 105 amp and a single belt pulley. Bought the wiring connector. Believe the Alt is out of a 89-90 chevy wagoon with the v-8. Had to remove all PS stuff to swap in new alt bracket. Rewiring was a cinch. reused the same belt. So far I'm happy can't wait for a good winch pull.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f115.../#post51274972 is the wiring diagram for the CS-130
The following users liked this post:
shlobeck (12-21-2020)
Old 06-14-2010, 08:59 PM

man that cs-130 is only on one year of Gm's??? and I thought a 12si was a needle in a haystack or an alternator in a car stack
Old 06-14-2010, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by PismoJoe
What where did you find that wiring pigtail? can you share that P/N i've been lookin in junkyards like they're going out of style and I only can find 10si pigtails!!!!

That TG bracket setup looks just like LC's, and on Lc's site they say the stock belt can be used. Ha same price too, check out the description http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...8-C640863FB1C9
Hmmm, that is the TG kit, it uses the same picture too, I'm surprised they don't have it labeled as TG...then again it is TG so who knows...lol

I'll get you the p/n for it after I pick it up tomorrow, the guy I talked to on the phone when I ordered it said he wasn't sure which one it was but he'd order both it could have been and then we'll just look and see which one it is...

Originally Posted by muddpigg
I put a cs-130 on 105 amp and a single belt pulley. Bought the wiring connector. Believe the Alt is out of a 89-90 chevy wagoon with the v-8. Had to remove all PS stuff to swap in new alt bracket. Rewiring was a cinch. reused the same belt. So far I'm happy can't wait for a good winch pull.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f115.../#post51274972 is the wiring diagram for the CS-130
Nice, I need to find a wiring diagram for the 12si....did you upgrade your inline fuse? I guess I should read that write up lol

Last edited by 89silverpu; 06-14-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by 89silverpu

1. Do I need to upgrade the wire going from the alt. to the battery to a thicker gauge? Like an 8 gauge wire or what?

2. Anyone have a part number or know of a belt that will work? Or should I just go into the parts store and try and find one that is a bit longer by comparing the stock one to the ones they have?

Supposedly the stock belt will work

3. Do I need to put a bigger fuse inline from the alt to the battery? I would assume so...Or is there an inline fuse at all? I know nothing about the electrical systems on these things, this is my first time messin around with this kind of stuff...

4. Is there anything else I'm missing?

I wanna make a good write up on this all as I'm doing it, there are a bunch of write ups, but nothing very detailed and straight forward.

Thanks for the help in advance!
Bump for these questions!
Old 06-15-2010, 03:05 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
No before that bracket was sold by trailgear it was sold by a guy on here and tinbenders. Don't know the story how TG got what looks like the exact same bracket?hmmm.

As for upgrading wiring: Yes, search big 3 upgrade. I used 1/0 welding wire (wanted bigger gauge that winch cables.

Here think this is for a SI series and covers other wiring question you have and the washer method for mounting. There is another method of cutting ALT, maybe listed on this post may not. http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.co...%20Project.pdf

I have not installed my inline fuse yet, have it in a box someplace. Large blade type, will one day.

If your doing the write up, you should have done the research
Old 06-15-2010, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
No before that bracket was sold by trailgear it was sold by a guy on here and tinbenders. Don't know the story how TG got what looks like the exact same bracket?hmmm.

As for upgrading wiring: Yes, search big 3 upgrade. I used 1/0 welding wire (wanted bigger gauge that winch cables.

Here think this is for a SI series and covers other wiring question you have and the washer method for mounting. There is another method of cutting ALT, maybe listed on this post may not. http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.co...%20Project.pdf

I have not installed my inline fuse yet, have it in a box someplace. Large blade type, will one day.

If your doing the write up, you should have done the research
Thanks, I'll check out that link and search the big 3 upgrade. And I know I should do the research, I just don't have enough time to spend hours sifting through the thousands of threads on the swap, it's so hard to find infor specifically for the 12si swap on a 22re, it's always a 3.0 or a CS series alt getting used...

Thanks alot for your help!

Oh, and you used the 1/0 wiring for the wire going from the alt to the battery because you wanted a thicker line than your winch cables? (sorry that part was confusing for me lol )

Last edited by 89silverpu; 06-15-2010 at 05:29 PM.

Quick Reply: 22RE-GM Alternator swap - Give me the run down