Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

1992 22RE leaking coolant into new head.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 22RE leaking coolant into new head.

I just helped my brother replace his head on his 22RE from a 1992 Toyota 4x4 pickup truck. He pulled the motor, for his own reasons, and replaced the clutch as well.
Once we got everything re-installed, it runs SMOOTH and idles very good.. But appears to be burning coolant as well.
My question is..
Is there a chance we hooked a line up somewhere that we shouldn't have, that could blow coolant into the engine? Are these head gaskets known to be difficult? I wasn't there when he installed the head it's self, so when I pull it off a-lot may be answered. He stated that it's also leaking oil, so if I need to I will have it towed to my house and pull the motor back out. If it's all at the head, I will simply pull the head off.

Thanx in advance!

Joshua
Old 04-30-2012, 08:56 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Timing chain wore a hole in the cover is my bet.

:wabbit2:
Old 04-30-2012, 09:27 AM

Re: Timing chain

Unless it happened after we put all this back together, that wouldn't be the case. We re-did everything and the cover was fine then. He started it and it started what I described. We used a head from a company that claims them to be 30 PSI higher in compression and NEW. We also used a CDI torque wrench that is absolutely amazing in accuracy... I am leaning towards the head gasket, but don't know 22RE engines, or how difficult it may or may not be to get the head gasket right. If the time chain cover seal wasn't right, could that cause it?

Thanx,
Joshua

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Timing chain wore a hole in the cover is my bet.

Last edited by idad; 04-30-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:28 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
You didn't say you redid everything before

Old 04-30-2012, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you use new headbolts and what headgasket did you use?
Old 04-30-2012, 09:42 AM

Re: REdid everything

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
You didn't say you redid everything before

OK...
Perhaps we better start from the begining..

My brother bought a new intake for his truck, installed it, and was pretty happy with his lil hore power gains....
About a week later, I got a phone call stating that his engine blew up.. Which made no sense.. I told him to check the compression, and go from there. He replied that there was something snapped off inside and that he had to pull the motor.. A few days later, I get another call.. Can I sue the intake people.. I asked why, he stated that they didn't mention that there was a bag of parts inside the instake pipe, and that they had come open and gone into his engine.. So I am like, wow, well moving on to fixing it.. I told him again to run a compression test, he did not but pulled the motor out instead... Once he got the head off it, it was discovered that there was some aluminum in the #4 poistion that was smashed paper thin.. But the lower end seemed fine, and there was possibly a bent valve..
So he ordered a new head, and a motherload of gaskets and discovered his clutch was about to fail so got one of those too..
The timing chain was replaced, all related gaskets, had to tap out new bolts for the thermostat because those both snapped off..
We were about to install the oil pan when I noticed something was wrong with the timing chain cover gasket.. We ended up pulling it all back off, and getting new ones as they couldn't be used at this point.. Once back togeather, we proceeded..

** The gasket for the head was Evergreen automotive and was metal.

So now, it's blowing steam from the exhaust as if it's getting coolant in it somehow.. My brother says it's not coming from the "head", not sure how he knows that.. But either way, something is janked up..

Hope that helps..

Thanks,
Joshua
Old 04-30-2012, 09:44 AM

Those Evergreen headgaskets are junk. Also did you use new headbolts?

Get a good toyota OEM headgasket and new good oem headbolts and you should be fine.

The other place is the gasket on the lower intake gasket to head. There are some spots in there where coolent could leak into the intake. Specially if those evergreen paper gaskets are used with no RTV.

Last edited by gennro; 04-30-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by gennro
Get a good toyota OEM headgasket and new good oem headbolts and you should be fine.

The other place is the gasket on the lower intake gasket to head. There are some spots in there where coolent could leak into the intake. Specially if those evergreen paper gaskets are used with no RTV.
So he used the same bolts he took out, as the company he bought the head from told him that if they aren't corroded, to use them. I wanted new ones..
I also forgot to mention that he PORTED THE HELL out of his intake, and DID use those paper gaskets without any RTV.. Now my ears up high.. Cause it's acting like the coolant is being fine "misted" into the engine and hardly effected it's running operation.

Thanx!
Old 04-30-2012, 11:14 AM

Yeah, always use new headbolts because what happens is the old ones stretch out and require a higher torque to get them to add the same pressure on the head gasket.

Yeah those paper gaskets used without some sort of adhesive just fall apart and will cause all kind of leaks.