Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

1986 Xtra Cab 22R - been stored 6 months

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 Xtra Cab 22R - been stored 6 months

***correction: 22RE***

Just bought an '86 from a friend, truck has been on his deer lease for 3 years. Recently had wheels and battery stolen while being stored. 167K miles on original engine, 4x4, manual. The truck hasn't been ran in 6-8 months. Got 87 four runner wheels w/Goodrich all terrains in decent shape and new battery. Had about a half tank of old gas, filled up with fresh supreme. Tried using starter fluid in intake, rolls over great, but stops running after starter fluid spray stops.

What are the first things I should do to troubleshoot and tune up the truck?

I've heard so far:
Empty old gas - where do you dispose?
Get new spark plugs
Check the timing on distributor
Check vacuum lines
Oil change

I appreciate any and all help, thanks

Last edited by David1986; 07-29-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If this is truly a 22R (carburetor), I would suspect a completely drained float bowl. What my carburetor does after a few days is lose all the fuel in the bowl. Since yours sat for so long, you would need to crank the engine to allow the mechanical fuel pump to pump fuel into the carburetor float bowl. How long to crank over will depend on how quickly the fuel pump can refill the bowl. Then you would pump the gas pedal, for you, probably 4-5 times. Then try to start it.

You can verify fuel in the float bowl by looking at the carburetor sight glass up in front of the carburetor. If the float circuit is working properly, the fuel should be in the middle.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:20 AM

Thanks for your response, slow-mo. I was mistaken, it is the EFI model, not the carburetor as I said. I replaced the fuel filter, removed the bed, put a new fuel pump in, replaced old fuel lines near the pump, and changed the motor oil yesterday. It cranked up and was idling really well, I even drove it around the block a few times. It isn't starting as easy as I want, but its a relief to see that it runs well.
Remaining problems I am aware of are:
Steering fluid leak
Slow radiator leak
Rear drivers side shock leak
Crack in exhaust near the engine
Drivers vent window missing
BFG A/T's have sidewall damage and slight dry rot 31"x10.5

Please let me know what you would recommend on tires for someone on a budget, thanks again. I will try to post pictures soon.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:44 AM

Craigslist for cheapo used tires or treadwrights for new cheap tires. Efi means it'd be a 22re most people like the re better then the r. Might start easier after its had a tank or two through it to get the trash out maybe some new plugs
Old 07-29-2013, 03:51 PM

Posting some pics, didn't blkout the plates because they're from 7 yrs ago, not mine.
Cranking up good now, but if I leave the truck for a few days the battery doesn't have enough juice to crank. Haven't tested the alternator yet, but something is draining the battery very slowly. If its been ran within a day its fine to start. Put in some new spark plugs and tested the starter since last post. Next up is headers - recommendations welcome. You can see in the pics the power steering is leaking, hopefully just needs new hoses. Getting tires soon too, 31"s or 33"s? Thanks to everyone for their advice so far.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y10whwy69n...%2034%20PM.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r09zw081au...%2004%20PM.jpg

New fuel filter

Little transmission drip, dirty as hell underneath

Break in the header

Steering leakage