03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

V6 or V8

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V6 or V8

Hey guyz looking at a new 4runner I test drived the v6 power was pretty good just want to know what would you guyz get? thanks
Old 06-11-2007, 12:04 PM
Contributing Member

Mother in law has the V8... Drove it about 300 miles and i was very impressed with it. Ive got the 3.4 and would trade the engine in a heartbeat. Dont get me wrong i love the V6 but the V8 was impressive compared to what i have
Old 06-11-2007, 02:22 PM

i say v6 unless you are going to tow something
more then enough power less fuel cost i would assume

and less weight upfront when decending on trails if
you go off-road
Old 06-12-2007, 04:03 AM

Both good engines and you can't go wrong with either really. If you like big power and torque, the V8 is the ticket but that's not to say the V6 is a slouch. The V6 has more than enough power to get you moving, but if you do lots of towing the V8 is what you'll want.

If you're looking at the 4WD model, the V6 has the capability to switch to 2HI from 4HI while the V8 is all time 4HI. V6 has a timing chain while V8 has a timing belt. V8 has platinum plugs good for 100k, while the V6 needs plug replacement every 30k. For ease of maintenance, the V6 oil filter is super easy to get to (sits right on top of the engine). The V8 has been around longer, but I think the 1GRFE engine has proven it's reliability in the 4Runner since 2003 and now in the FJ and the Tacoma.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:43 PM

Thanks for the replys I wont be towing or much off roading, thats for the taco
I heard about the maintenance of the v8's pain in the ass ,removing the whole plenum for sparkplugs. but the power is what I want lol
Old 06-12-2007, 10:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Super charge a v6 and I'm sure you'll be very happy.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:21 PM

haha...v8's sound better. i'd shove 2 in if i could.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The 4.0 is nice and throaty with the Borla cat back
Old 06-13-2007, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by puka
removing the whole plenum for sparkplugs.
I guess that's why they put the 100k plugs in there! lol
Old 06-14-2007, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by LEADfoot
i say v6 unless you are going to tow something
more then enough power less fuel cost i would assume

and less weight upfront when decending on trails if
you go off-road

I'll take it a step further, only if you tow heavy. I tow a boat that weighs 4,600 lbs with the v6 (I added a tranny cooler and WD hitch, swaybars, brake controlls, ect.). It does a good job.
The v6 won't do this to you:
Old 06-14-2007, 10:31 AM
Contributing Member

They are both toyota motors nuff said
Old 06-14-2007, 12:42 PM

v6 more than enough power?!?

not to me. sometimes i've got to get out and push this thing in hairy traffic situations. and whats better than a v8? a supercharged v8; duh...
Old 06-15-2007, 04:47 PM

The V6 has plenty of hp for the most part. It doesn't have as much tq, to be sure, but unless you are planning on some pretty heavy duty towing, I don't think you'll notice it much.

What one of the local salespeople told me is that most of HPD with the 4Gs actually prefer the V6 4Rs. Enough HP to go fast in case they have to, and they don't really need the extra tq of the V8.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by the_gunslinger

not to me. sometimes i've got to get out and push this thing in hairy traffic situations. and whats better than a v8? a supercharged v8; duh...
ah, okay... I am also of the "there's no such thing as too much HP" school, but for the *most* part, we've not found the V6 lacking in power. We've helped people move house, carried a bunch of sound equipment for church functions, and done all kinds of home renovation projects using the 4R (friend's truck was in the shop) with no noticeable drop in performance.

we've never tried towing anything, and I wouldn't even have the faintest notion of how to begin, so I can't speak to that.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:17 AM

wow merlin, church functions?? how gay is that?

i kid, i kid...i seriously have a problem with my 5vzfe's power productuion. i might ba 'used' to a small block chevy, but having to worry in traffic situations is untolerable. yes, i make my own room anyway, but i'm being beaten by 6 cylinder camaros!! yes, thats embarrassing.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by the_gunslinger

Yes when I test drove the 4.0 on the freeway there wasnt that passing power I like, the powerband was there reved up real nice typical auto trans I think it was lacking the torque in the lower rpms.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sharp4runr
Both good engines and you can't go wrong with either really. If you like big power and torque, the V8 is the ticket but that's not to say the V6 is a slouch. The V6 has more than enough power to get you moving, but if you do lots of towing the V8 is what you'll want.

If you're looking at the 4WD model, the V6 has the capability to switch to 2HI from 4HI while the V8 is all time 4HI. V6 has a timing chain while V8 has a timing belt. V8 has platinum plugs good for 100k, while the V6 needs plug replacement every 30k. For ease of maintenance, the V6 oil filter is super easy to get to (sits right on top of the engine). The V8 has been around longer, but I think the 1GRFE engine has proven it's reliability in the 4Runner since 2003 and now in the FJ and the Tacoma.
First the V6 has a timing belt not chain. second Platinum plugs can be put into any vehicle. The V6 is proven bullet proof and puts out very good numbers and the aftermarket for the 3.4 is great aspecialy now after some years. V8 $$$ very nice motor Im planning on building one for my next trail rig. Really what do you plan on doing with your rig? thats the question.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by fillsrunner4
First the V6 has a timing belt not chain. second Platinum plugs can be put into any vehicle. The V6 is proven bullet proof and puts out very good numbers and the aftermarket for the 3.4 is great aspecialy now after some years. V8 $$$ very nice motor Im planning on building one for my next trail rig. Really what do you plan on doing with your rig? thats the question.
Uhh, we're talking about the 4th Generation 4Runner's V6 if I'm not mistaken and they have timing chains. The 3.4 V6 does have a belt so you're correct there...

Oh yes, I understand platinum plugs can be put in any vehicle. I was just stating that it platinum plugs came standard on the V8 while the V6 didn't. Since the manual states to replace the V6 plugs every 30k, I wouldn't want to risk increasing the intervals without more information on the subject.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by fillsrunner4
Uhh, we're talking about the 4th Generation 4Runner's V6 if I'm not mistaken (This is the 4th gen subsection right?) and they have timing chains. The 3.4 V6 does have a belt so you're correct there...

Oh yes, I understand platinum plugs can be put in any vehicle. I was just stating that it platinum plugs came standard on the V8 while the V6 didn't. Since the manual states to replace the V6 plugs every 30k, I wouldn't want to risk increasing the intervals without more information on the subject.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:06 AM

My 03 V6 has 157,000+ and you cannot hear the engine when I'm at a stoplight. I have to look at the tach to see if its running.
With the exception of the cat converters, I've had trouble free miles with the engine/transmission. V6 has pleanty of power for me. Passing, pulling small trailer etc.
The one thing I wish I did do was get the 5 spd tranny instead of the 4 spd. There are some spots in lower speeds where it seems like it does not know what gear to go for..
Just my $.02
Jeff