03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Tire pressure sensor valves-defective design?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire pressure sensor valves-defective design?

Okay, here's the situation.

'04 V8 4Runner LTD. Has the tire pressure monitor/sensors.

About a month ago I had a flat tire. Tried to remove the cap, but corroded and really stuck. I get a pair of pliers and *gently* squeeze enough just to grip the cap and SNAP! Valve stem breaks off.

So I pull the wheel, go to my local tire shop and have a rubber stem put in.

Obviously, the light is now always on. I kept the "sensor" hoping to get it replaced.

I have about 49k on this vehicle and wondered if anyone else had this experience? Heard of any recalls/TSBs on this? I can't find TSB's. NHTSB doesn't list the 4Runner and alldata.com requires membership to even look up Toyotas

It seems to me that the combination of the lack of strength in the stem and the metal caps used, creating corrosion, combine to make a defective design.

The other caps were also quite tight, too, but didn't break. I didn't put any more force than what was needed to grip the cap, which was a fair amount.

I have done things like this before and was not excessive.

I would also recommend some "never seize" on the threads to lubricate and prevent corrosion.

Are these expensive? If so, I may just use a die and rethread...

Thoughts?

Thanks.

-DiskDoctr
Old 07-20-2006, 05:35 PM

I have read something about aluminum caps and brass stems being a risk factor for corrosion on valve stems. I don't know why Toyota didn't just use plastic caps, but I may replace mine with plastic soon.

I have also heard of at least one other person having the same problem with the metal cap sticking on these so bad that the stem broke.

Yes, the sensors are expensive, but I saw a set of 5 sell on eBay last month for $28. (I shoulda bid on those.) Hang on to your old sensor. I believe the dealer will need the ID number off it when they go to reprogram the pressure sensor computer to look for the new sensor. Something about knowing which sensor to de-activate so they can add the new one.

Hope this helps...
Old 07-20-2006, 06:02 PM
Contributing Member

On some senor-based TPMS systems the actual valve stem is used as an antenna.
Be careful when replacing valve cores and caps as it might affect the function of your TPMS system!
The actual torque spec for the sensors should be 3-5 ft.lbs.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Aluminum and Brass have somewhat different anodic indexes, it is possible they will tend to "weld" themselves together, possibly with a little splashed water added in...
Old 07-20-2006, 06:59 PM

Plastic caps

Yeah, mine all have plastic caps now. I had already replaced one previously because the cap was not ok- was hard to remove so didn't put it back on.

I didn't have any issues, except that the tires "look" fine, even when 15 or so pounds low, so it may take a little "chinese firedrill" kind of exercise to find the one setting off the sensor.

I don't know about the valve stem being the antenna, but the cap didn't seem to make a difference for me.

Are you also saying that each one is uniquely RFID tagged? Is this by vehicle or by tire? If by tire, how does it account for rotation?

And I thought just the tires were expensive :-)

I'll watch for a set pretty aggressively now, thanks!

-DiskDoctr
Old 07-20-2006, 07:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DiskDoctr
Yeah, mine all have plastic caps now. I had already replaced one previously because the cap was not ok- was hard to remove so didn't put it back on.

I didn't have any issues, except that the tires "look" fine, even when 15 or so pounds low, so it may take a little "chinese firedrill" kind of exercise to find the one setting off the sensor.

I don't know about the valve stem being the antenna, but the cap didn't seem to make a difference for me.

Are you also saying that each one is uniquely RFID tagged? Is this by vehicle or by tire? If by tire, how does it account for rotation?

And I thought just the tires were expensive :-)

I'll watch for a set pretty aggressively now, thanks!

-DiskDoctr
I know I can't input anything useful in this thread, but I just wanted to give you an un-official "most useful new member award". I really like your posts and the usefulness of them.

Sorry if this is a little unusual, but it is very well deserved, especially in the age of "search mania". Plus, your contributions up to now are all new to this forum.

:bigclap:
Old 07-20-2006, 08:42 PM

Yes, the dealership will need the ID number off of the old TP sensor so that they know which one to not relist when they reprogram all of the sensors. When a sensor needs replaced, you need to use the Toyota scan tool and get into the TP system, and record all of the ID numbers for all of the sensors. When you reprogram sensors, you have to put all of the ID numbers back into the scantool, so the techs need to know which ID number to not put back in and they need to have the ID number off of the new sensor to put in. Its actually a pain in the ass, Chevy and Ford are really easy to program.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by cbabywolf02
Yes, the dealership will need the ID number off of the old TP sensor so that they know which one to not relist when they reprogram all of the sensors. When a sensor needs replaced, you need to use the Toyota scan tool and get into the TP system, and record all of the ID numbers for all of the sensors. When you reprogram sensors, you have to put all of the ID numbers back into the scantool, so the techs need to know which ID number to not put back in and they need to have the ID number off of the new sensor to put in. Its actually a pain in the ass, Chevy and Ford are really easy to program.
Hmm...wonder if it was really that much of a problem, the vehicle reading sensors from a nearby vehicle :-)

Wonder if this is related to the "under inflated SUV rollover" liability suits from a few years ago. Does it keep the low inflation details, perhaps for accident liability reasons?

I found some sensors, some say "white coded" some "red coded" ??? Any idea what this means and which I should get for the '04 LTD?

Sorry for all the Q's, this one is new to me. I figured some sort of magnetic or RF field with a pressure sensor. Does it really work via speed sensing as I read elsewhere on this site?

Thanks again all.

-DiskDoctr
Old 05-03-2007, 05:29 AM

Ok, newbie here. My friend has a 2004 Four Runner. Now I did the "search" and found this thread which was/is very helpful. My question....well, actually his, he would like to replace ALL his valve stems with regular ones. Can he do this and also, how would you get rid of the light on the dash?? Any help would really be appreciated. He does not have a computer right now and so I told him I would look this up for him.
Thnx.!
StuBkr
Southern, NH
Old 05-03-2007, 10:57 AM

well you could remove the dash and unplug the light, but from what i understand these (tp) are also part of the Vsc and abs system. I could be wrong. they all work in concert with one another.

Peace
Old 05-06-2007, 06:37 AM

I had a problem with one of my TPMS sensors. It reads 14 lb when the tire has 35 lb in it. I took it to Smithtown Toyota on long island NY. First they told me I only had 14 lbs of air in the tire. I checked it before it went in and it had 35lbs. then they told me someone changed the tires because Toyotas don’t come with firestone tires. The date code on the tire is Oct 05 and the truck was built Nov 05. When they checked the sensor they said it wasn’t covered by the warranty. They said that the sensor was damaged. It would cost $396 to change it. Then they said the good news is that there is a service bulletin on my tires and I would get new tires. I told them that I didn’t want to fix the sensor. So now they don’t want to do the tires. I asked why the sensor is so much when it retails for $112 and takes ? hr to install and program. They told me it takes 3 hrs. They charged me $102 for a diagnostic charge on my in warranty truck. They said the tire was losing air. Said I must have picked up a nail. They replaced the one tire with the bad sensor. When I went behind the shop to get my truck I saw my old tire sitting there. They ripped the bead on the tire taking it off the rim to check the sensor. There was no nail in it. I think there should be a class action suit on these sensors. Only Toyota dealers can service your wheels and program these sensors. Other car companies have sensors that any auto shop can service. I still have the flashing light on my dash. The service writer (Larissa) handled herself in a very courteous and professional way.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:41 AM

toyota did take care of my problem and the dealer was very helpfull. the sensor did break off in the tire.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:44 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
From the sounds of things, I'm sure happy our '03 doesn't have these sensors. What a cluster you-know-what.