03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Milemarker Hydraulic Winch On 4th Gen V8

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Milemarker Hydraulic Winch On 4th Gen V8

Has anyone tried a Milemarker Hydraulic Winch on a 4th gen 4runner V8? I have not been able to find much info on the forums for 4th gen installations and Milemarker dosent seem to know anything about the 4th gen either.

I have found that the power steering pump on the 4th gen V8 bypasses at 1200 PSI. I have not been able to find out what the Gallon per minute rating is (GPM). I also dont know if the hydraulic fittings on the power steering pump is the same as 3rd gen 4runners.

Also is anyone aware of 4th gen poswer steering pump upgrades?

If anyone knows anything about a 4th gen milemarker hydrualic install, post up!
Old 01-27-2007, 11:50 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Have you read the other Milemarker threads here?
It is a known fact that the Toyota PS pump does not have the ohmmph to power the winch to full capacity.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Corey
Have you read the other Milemarker threads here?
It is a known fact that the Toyota PS pump does not have the ohmmph to power the winch to full capacity.

Yes I have looked at many of the other threads. I have not been able to find anything on the 4th gen. Everything is on the 3rd gen or earlier. It is my understanding that the 3rd gen 4runners only put out around 900psi at bypass. I have not been able to get any hard data on the 4th gen pump GPM but I do have a 1200PSI number out of the service manual for the PSI at bypass. I believe the power steering pump is more robust on the 4th gen than the 3rd gen and previous pumps and may run the hydraulic winch. I would like to see what others know about the 4th gen specifically though.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:38 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Hit up Lance, Good Times, he may have some info for you.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:22 PM

I sent a PM to Lance.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:45 PM

Well I went to the dealer today and bought a new high pressure steering hose. The factory hose goes from the steering pump to the steering box. I am going to take it to the hydraulic shop tomorrow and see if they can make two hoses out of it. One from the steering pump to the winch input. One from the winch output to the steering box. The damn hose was $expensive The hose is pretty sophisticated. It incorporates a sensor connected to vacuum hoses. I am told by the dealer that this adjusts the idle speed. I do not know if this is in fact the case. HAS ANYONE ELSE HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT THIS? I am holding my breath to find out how much the custom hose fabrication will be.

Anyway here are some pictures. The first one is the overall hose. I marked it in red where I am thinking the hydraulic hose fabricator can cut it to make two hoses. Of course I will leave it up to the fabricator to tell me what the best apporoach is.

THe second picture shows a close up of the hose connection to the power steering. A "union bolt" goes through the "hole", it allows the fluid to flow into the tubing, the sensor on the right sends a signal via the vacuum hose to control the idle speed (or so I am told). THe tubing is just protective. Two vacuum hoses lead away from this.

The third picture shows the hose connection to the steering gear.

If the hydraulic shop says the can fabricate the hoses I will order the winch and start moving forward. If they say they can't I will return the factory hose to the dealer and abandon the hydraulic winch idea.

Last edited by Vegas Runner; 08-10-2007 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:19 PM

Hydraulic winch is now installed on 4th gen 4runner. Now comes the testing.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:34 PM

Ok so here are the pictures:

The box came in the mail:

This is what came in the box:

I also ordered an oil cooler, a magnetic oil filter, and a snatch block. These items do not come with the winch kit:

The magnetic oil cooler had a damaged nipple but I decided it was good enough:

And of course the winch. A 12,000lb beauty!

And another view of the winch:

I took the wire rope off:

This is the hydraulic solenoid:

And this is where you mount it on the hydraulic motor:

Here is a picture of the solenoid mounted on the motor:

Next I mounted it in the bumper (It is a really close fit). I also hooked up the electrical. It is super easy basically a wire from the battery to a circuit breaker then to the winch and two wires for forward and reverse and a ground wire to connect:

Here is another view of the winch mounted:

Next I put in the oil cooler. It is attached with special zip ties that pass through the radiator. The oil cooler is on the low pressure side. I also put the oil filter on the low pressure side in series with the cooler but it is located in a place where I could not get a picture of it:

I connected the hydraulic lines to the winch:

Then I connected the hydraulic lines to the modified high pressure steering hose assembly I hade made:

JOB DONE!!!!
Old 08-18-2007, 10:59 PM
Contributing Member

looks great! let us know how well it works. I've been considering a hydraulic winch, still have to find out if the new trail gear power steering pump will power one.

Last edited by pennywize; 08-18-2007 at 11:10 PM. Reason: spelling...
Old 08-19-2007, 06:04 AM

Do you have a link to the information on the trail gear power steering pump?
Old 08-19-2007, 06:11 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Vegas, let us know how it works.
Installation looks great.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:43 PM

The winch works great! I am very pleased with it.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:41 AM

Did some winching. I picked a large rock. Roughly 4 feet wide and 4 feet deep and 3 feet tall. Dont know what it weighed but I would guess several thousand pounds. I put the car in nuetral and put on the emergency brake. When I started winching it dragged the car. So I got inside and put on the brakes. It dragged the car another couple of feet with all four wheels locked. Then the rock started moving. I dragged the rock about 80 feet. It was a very large rock. The winch performed admirably.

THis pictures shows the car and the rock about 80-90 feet away

Here is a perspective from the rock looking at the car. NOTE: I am using a 20' strap (it's a Big Rock!)

Close up of the rock. YOu can see it was still partially in the ground. Until it came out of the ground it was dragging the truck with all 4 wheels locked up.

Here you get an idea of just how big the rock is in respect to the truck. Its about as wide as the front tires are far apart.

You can see it is plowing up the ground pretty good as it gets dragged.

Job done. Rock Moved!
Old 10-01-2007, 08:07 AM

Vegas Runner, how much $$ for each component? What was the total cost of this mod? Also, part # info?
Old 10-01-2007, 09:28 PM

I purchased my winch and accessories from winches plus www.winchesplus.com The guy there is very helpful and I reccomend him as a good place to buy from.

Milemarker 12,000 Hydraulic winch part #75-52000C $870.00
When I ordered the winch I requested two 60" hydraulic lines to be included instead of the standard hoses.
Hydraulic Filter $30.00 (look on the winchesplus.com accessories page)
Transmission cooler $39.00 (look on the winchesplus.com accessories page)
You also need to have your power steering line modified as described in the picture below with size 6 JIC male fittings brazed on where the tubing is cut at red lines.

I can have this done for you using my used power steering line that I took off for $400 plus shipping. I did not want to disable my truck so I bought a new hydraulic line and had it modified before I took off my old line so I have my old one laying around. Or you can take your steering line to a hydraulic shop and they should be able to do it (braze on the JIC fittings) for you for about $20-$30.

You will also need a new gasket from toyota for the union bolt on the power steering line. Its about $3. Sorry don't have the part number.

I also bought synthetic line from winchline.com This is not neccessary just something I wanted. It was about $275.00

And I also bought a hawse fairlead UHMW for $25 from http://www.sky-manufacturing.com
This was needed to go with the synthetic line.

I think that is everything.

Ed

Last edited by Vegas Runner; 10-01-2007 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:37 PM

Wow, awesome job, thats the first truley successful hydraulic winch install ive seen on a 4runner. Awesome originality and functionality
Old 10-01-2007, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by apalmer1
Wow, awesome job, thats the first truley successful hydraulic winch install ive seen on a 4runner. Awesome originality and functionality

Thanks, I am pleased with it. As far as I know I am the only 4th gen 4runner with one. Believe me I searched all the boards before I started this looking for information and could not find anyone else who had done it on a 4th gen.