03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

How are your new 05+ Tacomas holding up? Here is my list

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post How are your new 05+ Tacomas holding up? Here is my list

08 Tacoma TRD 3" lift

So far
2-new alternators (1st went bad after i put it under water, 2nd was a bad replacement) WARRENTY

2- Alternator pulleys, they had bad bearings and made a crazy whining noise around 2K rpmWARRENTY COVERED

1-Glove Box assembly, stupid dampner that keeps it from just falling open kept falling off it's mount WARRENTY COVERED

1-A/C condenser, I got it filled with mud and it made the A/C quit working I had to pay for this one to get fixed

1-Squeeky rear leafs, NO FIX told it was because of the AAL......oh well

1-Drivers air bag light on, they said I must have broken it off roading, fair enough WARRENTY COVERED

1-snaped off trailer harness, it's in a crap location and happened on 1st day owned. Fixed it by moving it to tail light location.

This is just a small list of things I have done with my truck in the shop, most were my fault and that's cool with me. I still love my Tacoma and this is in no way meant to be a bashing of the new 08. I just want to know what else you guys have had to fix so far.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:36 AM

My '05 rear leaves squeak like the dickens and did so before I put it an AAL. Everything on mine is still sturdy and I'm about to hit 60k. The in cab power outlet cover somehow managed to break off though. The only thing I'm worried about is the fully sealed transmission. They tell me not service it until 100k even though it had a couple good dunkings in Guatemala. There seems to be know sign of problems yet.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:18 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by sdstud212001
08 Tacoma TRD 3" lift

1-snaped off trailer harness, it's in a crap location and happened on 1st day owned. Fixed it by moving it to tail light location.

That was the first thing I moved on my '05.
Biggest gripe I had about the truck was that the paint seemed really soft. IF it got with in sight of a rock the paint would chip...The 'Dealer installed' bug deflector did more damage than it prevented. The little tape they used to keep the mounts from rubbing wore through the pain. 4 nice 1/2" wear marks, they wouldn't do anything about the paint...

Other than that I loved the truck but ended up trading in on a Tahoe, needed more room for family...
Old 09-30-2008, 06:24 AM
Contributing Member

My '05 has been doing really well. I'm very pleased with the towing capability, as well as the power just driving around town.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:20 PM

Hey there Steve! Nice Tacoma!

Ok, back on topic. just thought I'd say hello!
Old 09-30-2008, 12:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Buhundred
They're really good trucks and very capable but its missing somthing that all yota trucks and suv's should have, it needs to be built in japan.
Won't happen for two main reasons:

-- The 25% import duty levied only on JDM built light duty trucks

-- The Japan birth rate is below "replacement" rate. There are no longer enough Japanese citizens available there to produce supply to meet demand. Their loss, our (and worldwide) gain.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Psalm 112
Hey there Steve! Nice Tacoma!

Ok, back on topic. just thought I'd say hello!
Hey Craig,

How's it going with you?
As you can see from the toy in the bed of the truck, I've been doing other things besides rock-crawling. Late July i broke my right thumb in a minor get off, bummer. I haven't been able to ride since then.

Oh well, live an learn......Got a nice new helmet out of the wreck though...since I cracked my original helmet....
Old 09-30-2008, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by sdstud212001
08 Tacoma TRD 3" lift

So far
2-new alternators (1st went bad after i put it under water, 2nd was a bad replacement) WARRENTY

2- Alternator pulleys, they had bad bearings and made a crazy whining noise around 2K rpmWARRENTY COVERED

1-Glove Box assembly, stupid dampner that keeps it from just falling open kept falling off it's mount WARRENTY COVERED

1-A/C condenser, I got it filled with mud and it made the A/C quit working I had to pay for this one to get fixed

1-Squeeky rear leafs, NO FIX told it was because of the AAL......oh well

1-Drivers air bag light on, they said I must have broken it off roading, fair enough WARRENTY COVERED

This is just a small list of things I have done with my truck in the shop, most were my fault and that's cool with me. I still love my Tacoma and this is in no way meant to be a bashing of the new 08. I just want to know what else you guys have had to fix so far.

I think the trailer tail light harness is in the stupidest location. Who's the moron that came up with that spot? I broke mine off as well about the 2nd week I had my truck. Went to the dealer and they wanted $125 for the plastic POS bracket! I laughed and told em I use some zip ties.

Other than that I've had no problems with my 06' I love the towing power of the 4.0 Great engine...and a great truck.

Last edited by OSU4Runner; 09-30-2008 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by AppleJack
My '05 rear leaves squeak like the dickens and did so before I put it an AAL.
I saw over on TTORA there is a TSB regarding the squeaky leafs.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:31 AM

squeaky leaves

My 06 taco just got out of the shop after they had it 10 days to fix several problems.

1.) Antenna stopped picking up all stations
Fix- replaced the antenna and lead to radio

2.) Blower motor was ticking
Fix- replaced blower motor due to dry bearing

3.) Fan control switch light kept going out
Fix- replaced the switch

4.) Power outlet didn't work
Fix- replaced power outlet

5.) Throwout bearing making hideous noise
Fix- replaced throwout bearing and shift fork

6.) Leaf springs squeaking like crazy
Fix- jacked truck up and spread the leaves apart, cleaned between them, and applied HMI grease. PROBLEM SOLVED

Luckily everything was covered under warranty and they gave me a loaner... an 09 Sienna van. Waaaaaaaay faster than my taco. Was very surprised at the speed of this little van.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ohioyotaguy
Luckily everything was covered under warranty and they gave me a loaner... an 09 Sienna van. Waaaaaaaay faster than my taco. Was very surprised at the speed of this little van.

Yeah, minivans nowadays are wicked haha. My mom's old 01 Odyssey would throw you back in the seat!

[/OFFTOPIC]