03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

First Drive, 2005 Tacoma

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 07:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First Drive, 2005 Tacoma

My Toyota friends brought an '05 over to the house this afternoon. I've been driving since then, around 140 miles over various paved roads up the Columbia River Gorge, both freeway and two lane twisties. I have it all week to play, but two days are gone because I'm in Las Vegas tomorrow, and won't be back until Wednesday. Plus, I had to promise NO OFF ROAD even though it's a 4X4 TRD w/locker. Oh well, I'll take it. The sign in the window says YotaTech.Com if only you could see it! More later, I'm grabbing a bite and going driving again. So far all I can say is WOW!
Attached Thumbnails First Drive, 2005 Tacoma-05-tacoma-crown-point.jpg  

Last edited by BT17R; 09-28-2004 at 05:48 AM.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:22 PM
lee
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow! lucky!
Old 09-27-2004, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by BT17R
I had to promise NO OFF ROAD even though it's a 4X4 TRD w/locker.
Is it a full locker or is it an LSD unit?
Old 09-27-2004, 10:27 PM

I am 99% sure he's means full locker and not LSD. They have the TRD package with rear locker coming out.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:30 PM
Contributing Member

Okay Bob...so what was your address again?
I'm flying out for a drive as soon as you give it to me :bounce2:
One way ticket, of course. I'll drive back to SD
Old 09-27-2004, 10:43 PM
Contributing Member

More: The truck was delivered with 14 miles on it. I put another 35 on tonight for a total of 185, day and night, on dry pavement. The truck will eventually be donated to a local community college for technician training and is not for sale. I can't discuss pricing yet, but if you like what Toyota did with the 4th Gen Runner, you'll like the new Taco, too.

Exterior: Fit and finish are what you've come to expect from the latest generation of Toyotas, comparable to the 4th Gen 'Runner. Paint is flawless, the silver metallic showed no orange peel, the panel fitment is tight and even, the doors (including the tailgate) close with a thud, not the twang typically heard from "compact" trucks. Entry and exit are easy, it's a couple of inches lower to the seats than Tundra. There's a 115VAC/100W-400W outlet in the bed.

Interior: Materials quality is competitive for the segment, not quite Runner quality but neither is the price. I was surprised that it feels closed in and secure, just like a 'Runner. Part of that is the deeply tinted rear window, the large B-pillar and the general config of a D-Cab. Still, outward visibility is good and the folding side mirrors give a safe view. Switchgear placement is typical Toyota. Close your eyes and everything falls to hand for prior Toyota owners. Control operation is so fluid, everything feels like it's on ball bearings. Well, except for the visor mirror cover that stuck open halfway. The cloth covered seats feel more like sport seats than standard buckets. Well bolstered, grippy, but slightly too soft although I'm above average weight. Adjustments are entirely adequate, legroom is far more than even a tall driver will need, cabin width is generous, headroom better than expected with no moonroof. Very Runner like, for good reason. Seat belt anchors are adjustable in front. Rear seat comfort is leagues ahead of the current D-Cab, the seatback angle comfy, not bolt upright, legroom is fine for average height men even with the front seats all the way back. Cushions are a little thin on padding, so stick the lightweights back there. Rear windows lower completely into the doors. Panel and switchgear lighting is orange. Stereo sounded good enough, but I'm no audiophile. CD's were definitely better than radio that had weakish reception where I was out in the boonies. There are two 12VDC outlets, one with a cigarette lighter, but there's no ashtray. There's a convenient overhead console with sunglass holder compartment, digital compass, outside temp display, and two map lights. The dome light is fade on and delayed fade off. Headlights/foglights are manual on, auto off.

NVH: This is the quietest truck I've ever driven except under WOT when the 1GR V-6 makes itself known with a pleasant growl. No rattles, squeaks or vibrations, wind noise is the same low level whether at 60 mph or 110 mph. A Runner is marginally quieter overall with the V-8, mostly due to slightly better airflow management.

Engine: Silent in normal use, even with the hood open standing next to it. When the fan clutch engages, the usual howl is present but unobtrusive inside the cabin. Ample low end torque combined with a short 1st gear gave a tire spinning launch until TRAC reminded me of my age. VVT-i kept the engine in the fat part of the curve on every upshift. Very impressive grunt for a, what, ~4,000 lb. truck still tight during break-in. I didn't put a watch on it, but am convinced that it's slightly stronger than any 4th Gen Runner to 60 mph, and only pulls better from there deep into triple digits.

Tranny: We already know about the 5A/T. Smooth, nearly seamless up or down shifts and AI learns the driver's style. I can say it definitely let the engine run to redline after a few hours of ECU training. Manual shifting was second nature from my Runner experience, and made twisty mountain roads more fun. The 6M/T would be killer...stay tuned.

Driveline: I didn't go off-road, but tried engagement of all modes of the part-time system in a straight line. It was slightly balky going in, more so coming out of 4Lo. The locker only works in 4Lo and automatically disconnects when twisting the dash knob to 4Hi or 2Hi. At least it's supposed to. I had to come to a stop and recycle through 4Lo to 4Hi to 2Hi to get everything to disconnect and that happened twice. However, it's been my experience that this gets better after break-in.

Brakes: The big surprise. I was expecting a typically mushy disc/drum pedal. Instead it felt Porsche rock solid. Another surprise is that the brakes appear to be the electro-hydraulic type on Runner and Cruiser. I might be wrong, though, but the combined pump/master cylinder/EBD/BA/ABS/DAC/HAC/TRAC/VSC unit (I don't want to know what it costs) looks familiar. ABS engages smoothly and reassuringly. Even cranking the wheel side-to-side quickly the ABS adjusts and I could hear different tires howling depending on which was losing grip. I noticed little fade after five back-to-back high speed stops from 80 mph with ABS engaged. The pedal became firmer, but stopping distances seemed consistent. Of course the truck was empty except for a half-full tank.

Suspension: Yowza, you WISH your Tundra felt like this. The TRD Off-Road package had a lot to do with the stability and outstanding tracking, along with a wheelbase that's almost embarrassingly long. You've heard the expressions "syrupy" suspension, and that applies here. I intentionally placed wheels into potholes at speed and nothing upset the balance, no noises, thumps, creaks or pops as the Bilsteins did their work. I rate the ride even better than Runner, Sequoia and Land Cruiser. Sailing through an imaginary slalom course at 60 couldn't upset the truck. The rear never wanted to swap ends except once but VSC gently reminded me that I exceeded Toyota's definition of sport. It's much less intrusive than in any other Toyota truck, though, and was well tuned for the semi-street tires. And to think it'll tow something like 7,500 lbs. This will be an outstanding tow rig for moderate loads.

Steering: The wheel is straight out of the Runner, complete with remote radio controls and leather wrap. Very comfy. The ratio seems slower than a Runner, but that might be the longer wheelbase I was feeling.
Weighting is about right, not too quick, and on-center is still direct. It's a truck, but felt like a large luxury sedan in most ways, especially the steering. You won't be writing home about the turning radius, though. Plan ahead for tight parking spaces.

Annoyances: The headlights are disappointing considering the size of the reflectors. Foglights are useless but look cool. The mirrors aren't heated. No locking fuel filler door. The jury's out on the new bed material. Time will tell. The tires. Why oh why aren't better OEM tires available in the first place? It isn't just Toyota, everyone does it and owners wind up spending big $ getting what should be factory installed. No disconnect switch for VSC (automatically disengages in 4WD) or TRAC (always on). No flyaway handbrake on A/T model (M/T only). That's it for now.

All in all: A major step in the new "Moving Forward" brand message, an absolute home run. I know it's big. The gas jockey thought it was a Tundra when he was trying to wash the windshield. But it'll suit the 90th percentile. The aftermarket will be all over this. I don't think it'll ever need the 2UZ V-8 from a power standpoint, and the extra 130 lbs. over the front axle would hurt balance. I like it just the way it is, especially in D-Cab flavor. I think it could be even better with the 6M/T. Go see your fleet manager now and order to your spec for the best price.

Here's a few more pics of suspension FF/RR and the undercarriage nicely packaged to keep the bits out of harms way. Oops, it only let me upload one, so here's the front suspension:
Attached Thumbnails First Drive, 2005 Tacoma-05-taco-ff-susp.jpg  

Last edited by BT17R; 09-29-2004 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:46 PM
Contributing Member

Maybe I can trick it. Rear suspension:
Attached Thumbnails First Drive, 2005 Tacoma-05-taco-rr-susp.jpg  
Old 09-27-2004, 10:46 PM
Contributing Member

And the undercarriage:
Attached Thumbnails First Drive, 2005 Tacoma-05-taco-undercarriage.jpg  
Old 09-28-2004, 02:37 AM

Nice write-up! Thanks.

I was seriously looking at the Runner, until this released. My only gripe: No GPS! Why didn't they use the same double-DIN hole that is in the Runner and several other Toyota's? Sigh...

So, who is the recommended dealer in the PDX area?

--Bill
Old 09-28-2004, 03:53 AM

Wow. Last Fri, saw a full semi truck load of 05 tacomas on the Interstate going somewhere. I like the new design. You are a lucky guy!

Did the Tacomas go to a C frame in 05 - cant really tell from the photo?
Old 09-28-2004, 05:05 AM
lee
Contributing Member

i will certainly be test driving this asap
Old 09-28-2004, 06:59 AM

Im getting one......dont knwo if i should risk going for the sporty X-Runner but that would mean trading in my 3.4L 96 ....dunno yet but that truck seems awsome!

Thanks for detials
Old 09-28-2004, 07:10 AM
Contributing Member

I wonder what the aftermarket TJM/ ARB bars are going to look like. That is one huge front bumper.

It looks like a nice truck though .. very 4runnerish
Old 09-28-2004, 07:14 AM

I'm very interested in buying one as soon as they hit the lots. Everything I've read says it's perfect for me... and the wife and I have been talking for a while about getting me a new daily driver.

What's the sticker on it?
Old 09-28-2004, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

probably going to be the same or like $200 more. V8 will probably be around the current v8 tundra pricing. I've got no facts or figures to back this up. Just my lame edumacated guess
Old 09-28-2004, 08:18 AM
Contributing Member

Bob,
Wow, I can't believe that you get to demo an '05, you lucky dog!

I have heard that the 03-04 Tacoma DC has less rear leg and shoulder room than the 3rd gen 4Runner. Does the 05 Tacoma have more rear interior room than my 3rd Gen 4Runner? The reason is because my wife wants a truck that has more rear seat room than the 4Runner does. Is the entire interior considerably wider than the 3rd gen 4Runners?

I am jealous, I really want to drive one of those!
Old 09-28-2004, 10:41 AM

Bob,
Drive it down to Albany so we can take it out and have some fun. Maybe a run up Mary's Peak (no wheeling). Plus it would be cool to meet a fellow yotatecher.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BT17R
No rattles, squeaks or vibrations, wind noise is the same low level whether at 60 mph or 110 mph.

j/k, great write-up!
Old 09-28-2004, 12:09 PM

I really dont like the skinny part on the front suspension shock. It looks as if when they were designing it an engineer f&&*'d up and put the shock in line with the CV shaft. Rather than moving the shock mount, CV shaft or A-arm or any other number of things they decided to decrease the diameter of the shock allowing it to clear the CV shaft. Seems like a quick "get it done fix" rather than a solid solution to a problem. Thats my take on it. Also it seems as if it is going to be a challenge for aftermarket coilover designers to fit a shock in there.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:36 PM

Just because the shock is not typical looking doesn't mean it's bad. There are a lot of components to fit into a small area. Donahoe already has an '05 and are prototyping coil-overs. Word is the front end is capable of at least 9" with stock width (much like the current truck)

I am excited for these new trucks but I hope Toyota releases a true compact pickup again soon since the new taco is really a mid-size (Tundra) and the new Tundra ('06) will be truly a full-size truck. It would be really great if they would make a new mini truck with the 8" front end and the 4.0L V6!

(side note: why do some of us have political/partisan opinions in our signatures etc?, I have my beliefs but the last place I want to think about them is when I'm surfing yotatech...)

Quick Reply: First Drive, 2005 Tacoma