03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Bypass Filter Install 03 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bypass Filter Install 03 4Runner

My wifes runner has 50K on it, and has had Amsoil in it for 22K. I wanted to get a bypass on and figured this years oil change was the time. So I ordered Amsoil's BMK-13 Dual Remote Oil Filtration Kit. This kit remote mounts the full-flow filter and adds a bypass filter as well. The full flow filters 98.7% at 15 microns (most full flows are 30-40 microns), and the bypass filters 98.7% at 2 microns, wear is cauesd by particles 5 microns and larger. This setup will safely allow my to go 1 year or 25K on on oil change, 1 full flow filter, and 1 bypass filter. And after one year the oil will still look clean...

The only place i could find to mount the setup is on behind the front bumper. Since the metal part of the bumper is a square tube I couldnt bolt something to it, and wanted something stronger than self taping screws so I had a plate welded to the bumper.

I then cleaned it up and painted it. I mounted the bracket high enough that the bypass filter is above the bottom of the bumper by about an inch.

This adapter screws on in place of the filter. It then gets high pressure JIC fittings for the hoses that run to the remote mount.

This is the filter side of the mount. You can see the pressure regulator that limits flow to the bypass.

Mount is mounted

Hoses run, with enough slack to allow motor movement. I do need to get some rubber hose it wrap around the hoses in a few places to prevent chaffage.

The filters. The bypass is about 4" wide and 6" tall. The remote mount uses the same thread pattern and gasket size as OEM but I with a much larger filter because I have the room. This particular filter is a ford filter, Fram 8 equiv. Both filters have anti-siphon valves so I am covered there. Thou with the filters below the oil pan they wont drain, thank goodness I only have to change the filters annually as it will be messy.

Filter installed. I prefilled the filters, and it took about 1.5 quarts to fill them. My total capacity is now about 7.5 quarts vs 5.5 quarts. The added oil will run cooler, as well as the filters being cooled as I drive.

And the clearance the bypass has above the bumper. If I wheeled this truck I would probably make a skid plate, but its the hwy rig so I am not worried. I will thou carry a cheap OEM size filter with me in case something happens to puncture a filter so I can go back to OEM if I have to.

I have this same setup for my taco, but haven't installed it yet.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:23 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Wow! Nice, clean set-up and great photos. Let us know if the oil really stays clean after a year or 25K miles. I'm just curious.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:08 AM

Cool-I've had a lot of friends swear by the Amsoil products they use, and I've used the power streering stop leak with great results--good luck with yours, and nice install.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:18 AM

thanks guys.... i'll post photos of the oil next May
Old 04-10-2008, 02:10 PM

Here it is..... The bypass did an amazing job keeping the oil clean... My wife has put just over 8K on this setup in the last year. The only thing I don't like is how low the TBN is, I was hoping to run the oil for another year. Oh well, one change a year isn't so bad. I will change the oil and the full flow, but leave the bypass in place for another year. I doubt I do another oil analysis on the engine, not worth the cost...wear and oil were good, and a year is about all the oil is good for... The TBN is probably so low from frequent short trips... grocery store is .3 from the house, the gym is .5, etc.... and there are only a couple road trips on the oil, most is around town driving at 3K feet, which isn't so easy on oil....

All in all I am very happy with the setup.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad to hear good feedback on the products. Ive been using them for years and just recently became a dealer so im trying to get my feet wet selling.
Let me know if i can help with any thing
Old 05-03-2008, 02:50 PM

Well the air filter was worn out (had 30K miles on it)... I put the new Amsoil Nanofiber air filter in...
Old 06-23-2010, 09:59 AM

Update:

I ran the ASL for another year and had the same issue with TBN being low, otherwise the oil was clean. As you can see below... I then switched to the SSO 0w-30 Amsoil Signature Series Oil. The TBN stayed up, and I 'll give it another month or two before i change it, for a total of about 16 months on the oil.

You can see the silicone was up a little the first year with the Amsoil Nano Fiber Air Filter, but now its all but gone, must have been residual from the OEM filter.

Oh yeah.. Ignore the comments and minor flags on additives, I forgot to tell them I changed oil types.. On hold now to get it fixed, when I do I'll post up the corrected results.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:39 AM

I talked with OAI.. they adjust the data for the SSO. Most of the additives are still flagged since there is usually about a qt of residual oil, so on the next change I should have "normal" readings.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:13 AM

I take it the oil filter on the 4.0 is in the same crappy location as the 4.7 v8's is.

I have to drop the skid plate every time I need to do an oil change, and then the bolts get rusty and break. ugh..

Are there any other remote oil filter kits out there for a 4.7 v8?
Old 07-03-2010, 11:24 AM

There is a pic in post #1 that shows the location. Its on the top of the motor by the battery.. Its actually a great location.

But the amsoil kit would work for a remote filter on the 4.7 as well.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:39 AM

Sorry, I don't see why I missed that before. Yeah, that's a great location for an oil filter. That's as easy to get to as it is on my 4.0 jeep. Very easy.

The 4.7 v8, not so much. It's a PITA to get to.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:58 PM

I can sell you all the parts if you want to do a similar setup... It would give you a remote filter and a bypass filter.