Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Wiring Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2023, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring Help

I have a '93 Pickup. 22REC. I just got it recently replaced the cylinder head and timing chain, etc. My problem is, I'm a 40 year retired electrician, who didn't look before he leaped/.
Anybody who has been involved with 22RE's has surely noticed Toyota rain a good portion of the wireing harnes through thru intake. manifold. It was quite carbon crusted inside and needed a good cleaning. I thought, NO PROBLEM. I can sort that out. I ordered some weatherproof molex connectors from Amazon, but when I started to wire it up, I noticed 4 wires were bigger than the rest. The bigger wires wouldn't fit in the Molex connectors, so II left them, and figured I could tackle them on engine reassembly.

Today was the day, but when I tore into it, I found out 3 of the wires are shielded wire; they are colored Black, Black w/White, and Black w/Yellow.
Before I screw the pooch here, does anyone know what these wires are for, and why they are shielded? I guess just as big of a help, would;d be a 1993 wiring diagram and I could figure it out for myself.

I have found so many knowledgable people in these forums, l so I didn't think it would hurt to ask,.

TYIA for any help you can provide,
Old 03-10-2023, 06:18 AM

Received 826 Likes on 653 Posts
I don't know much about the 22re, but the 3VZE has shielded wire for the 4-conductor wire from the distributor, the two (California) O2 sensors, and most importantly the knock sensor. (Also the stereo and the ABS brakes, but I doubt you have either.) I would be surprised if the O2 sensors were wired anywhere near the intake.

My EWD doesn't show a color for the shield sheath, but on my knock sensor it's just black.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Old 03-10-2023, 08:01 AM
YT Community Team

Received 857 Likes on 606 Posts
check the wires at your igniter. Should be the same ones
Old 06-14-2023, 02:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DouglasV
I have a '93 Pickup. 22REC. I just got it recently replaced the cylinder head and timing chain, etc. My problem is, I'm a 40 year retired electrician, who didn't look before he leaped/.
Anybody who has been involved with 22RE's has surely noticed Toyota rain a good portion of the wireing harnes through thru intake. manifold. It was quite carbon crusted inside and needed a good cleaning. I thought, NO PROBLEM. I can sort that out. I ordered some weatherproof molex connectors from Amazon, but when I started to wire it up, I noticed 4 wires were bigger than the rest. The bigger wires wouldn't fit in the Molex connectors, so II left them, and figured I could tackle them on engine reassembly.

Today was the day, but when I tore into it, I found out 3 of the wires are shielded wire; they are colored Black, Black w/White, and Black w/Yellow.
Before I screw the pooch here, does anyone know what these wires are for, and why they are shielded? I guess just as big of a help, would;d be a 1993 wiring diagram and I could figure it out for myself.

I have found so many knowledgable people in these forums, l so I didn't think it would hurt to ask,.

TYIA for any help you can provide,
they are inputs for the PCM from the igniter. It is part of the somewhat complex way toyota figured out how to check and adjust ignition advancement or retardation based on coolant temp. Air flow supply and ignition timing. Shielded cause come off the igniter and next to the coil as to not cause a surge going into the PCM and frying it indefinitely