Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What size BL for 3.4L swap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 01:34 PM
RBA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What size BL for 3.4L swap?

I have a RB 1" body lift on my '94 4Runner right now and would be doing the swap so I need help to see what size and other miscellaneous parts that I would need to do the swap. I prefer to do the bl over the hoodscoop since I believe it to be more economical. I am planning to order the same body lift from Roger Brown but wanted to get people's input and costs. Thanks.

-Chard
Old 07-28-2006, 01:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm hoping to get by with a 1 inch BL and removing the underhood insulation and bracing, but maybe I'm just dreaming.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:57 PM
RBA

Originally Posted by mt_goat
I'm hoping to get by with a 1 inch BL and removing the underhood insulation and bracing, but maybe I'm just dreaming.
LOL!!!

I also want to know what I need for the bl since I am in the process of swapping my auto trans to a manual.

-Chard
Old 07-28-2006, 02:20 PM
Contributing Member

I guess the SC creates more clearance issues, especially the 1st gen SC.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:39 PM
RBA

I guess the SC creates more clearance issues, especially the 1st gen SC.
Mike at ORS once told me that some people have done swaps using 1" only and got away with it but I'd like to get more room. Maybe a 2nd gen s/c can be included in my future plans but not right now.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:59 PM

I also have heard of using a 1" BL to clear the 3.4L intake. I myself opted for the 1.5" BL which left me plenty room to close the hood without removing the insulation on my 94 4Runner 3.4 conversion.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:27 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Pozi
I also have heard of using a 1" BL to clear the 3.4L intake. I myself opted for the 1.5" BL which left me plenty room to close the hood without removing the insulation on my 94 4Runner 3.4 conversion.
Do you have a SC?
Old 07-28-2006, 08:02 PM
RBA

Pozi, with the 1.5" BL that you have, did you need to get the brackets to align the radiator with the fan and raise the front bumper to match the lift? What about the shift lever extension(s), did you get any of those too?

Thanks.

-Chard
Old 07-29-2006, 05:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RBA
Pozi, with the 1.5" BL that you have, did you need to get the brackets to align the radiator with the fan and raise the front bumper to match the lift? What about the shift lever extension(s), did you get any of those too?
Thanks.
-Chard
I used a 2" body lift but I suspect a 1" would have worked just fine without the supercharger. You will also want to use the radiator brackets and the bumper brackets to match your lift. On my 4Runner I didnt use a steering extension however it rubs the firewall boot some.
On a side note the body lift will create some shift issues that are a pain in the ass. I found out that a short shift kit from URD corrects these issues.
LINK for short shifter info

,Thomas
Old 07-31-2006, 07:09 AM

Do you have a SC?
No S/C here.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by RBA

Thanks.

-Chard
My 1.5" BL I only used the 1.5" brackets for the front bumper. No shift lever extensions.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:55 AM
Contributing Member

Another small thing that may effect the clearance is new vs old motor mounts. My old motor mounts were squished down about 1/4 inch compared to the new ones ORS sent with the kit.

Also chaining down the motor mounts will limit the upward torquing movement under load. Has anyone had that happen, maybe you could get the hood closed but when you torque up the engine it hits?
Old 07-31-2006, 04:42 PM
RBA

My 1.5" BL I only used the 1.5" brackets for the front bumper. No shift lever extensions.
I am also putting some 3.4L Downey headers. So, I guess that the 1.5 BL should be atleast the minimum that I should go with.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:03 PM

while researching about this when i was considering the swap i was told 2 inches would be ideal.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:44 PM
RBA

Originally Posted by Tragic Drive
I used a 2" body lift but I suspect a 1" would have worked just fine without the supercharger. You will also want to use the radiator brackets and the bumper brackets to match your lift. On my 4Runner I didnt use a steering extension however it rubs the firewall boot some.
On a side note the body lift will create some shift issues that are a pain in the ass. I found out that a short shift kit from URD corrects these issues.
LINK for short shifter info

,Thomas
Did you use any shift lever extensions on the 5spd and the t-case levers or did the short shift kit fixed that problem? Thanks.

-Chard
Old 08-02-2006, 12:49 PM

Body lifts. Ewww. Just cut a little hole in the hood.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:27 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RBA
Did you use any shift lever extensions on the 5spd and the t-case levers or did the short shift kit fixed that problem? Thanks.

-Chard
The biggest problem was the shift boot bunching up in second gear. It actually wore a hole in my leather boot cover. Moving the boot back an inch or two and removing one of the boots helped some but still didnt feel right going into second.I also noticed alot more heat coming into the cab with only one boot. I didnt have any problems with the transfer case shifter.
When I put the URD short shifter in it raised the shifter about an inch . This eliminated all the shift problems, moving through the gears now feel's better than factory.

,Thomas
Old 08-02-2006, 02:30 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JESSE_at_TLT
Body lifts. Ewww. Just cut a little hole in the hood.
give the 4runner that Shaker hood. lol
Old 08-02-2006, 06:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Lots of options on the shifters:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/....shtml#Shifter
The screw on extensions are really only for ergonomics (i.e. help you reach the shifter if it sits too low - can be added later if needed).

On the radiator, if the fan on the new engine does not line up with the shroud on the old radiator, then the radiator brkts. can be added:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...shtml#Radiator

On the bumper brackets, if you want the bumper to sit flush with the body, then that is what the brkts. do:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...l#FrontBumper2

With the 2nd gens, you can "cheat" the bumper a bit and make it fit with up to a 1" offset (not perfect but it works fine):

Old 08-03-2006, 11:22 AM

How would the hood look modified to clear the intake mani. without a BL? Just curious if anyone has photochop skills....

Quick Reply: What size BL for 3.4L swap?