Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Truck won't start. Please read before giving me hell....

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 02:44 PM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
What if there is a non stock/different size flexplate? It's unlikely you don't know about it.. but it does fit the symptoms... the starter solenoid shoots the gear toward the flex plate but the alignment doesn't match so the contact with the starter power source is never made and it doesnt spin...

Long shot, but measure it with the starter you know worked.. unless that is handed in as a core..

I'll try to think of other possible causes meanwhile.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:46 PM

can you share a pic of where it seems like it's hitting the tooth on the flex plate?
Old 12-02-2013, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RJR
Are you sure the starter is seating correctly on its mounting surface? If there was something holding it slightly out of line or not allowing the starter to seat fully (a raised burr on the surface, leftover gasket material, or something similar), it could cause enough gear tooth misalignment to cause a lockup.

It sure looks like it's seated correctly to me. There's no gaps or anything that looks misaligned when the starter is on. Kinda hard to get in there, but I'll pull the starter off again and double check. Thanks for the tip!
Old 12-02-2013, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Gevo
What if there is a non stock/different size flexplate? It's unlikely you don't know about it.. but it does fit the symptoms... the starter solenoid shoots the gear toward the flex plate but the alignment doesn't match so the contact with the starter power source is never made and it doesnt spin...

Long shot, but measure it with the starter you know worked.. unless that is handed in as a core..

I'll try to think of other possible causes meanwhile.
I don't have the stock starter anymore. It was turned in for the core charge. I know the flexplate is stock size. Everything worked with the stock starter and twice with the first replacement starter that burned up on the test bench at Advance Auto. I appreciate the help tho. If you come up with anything else please let me know.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:49 PM

can you share a pic of where it seems like it's hitting the tooth on the flex plate?

I'll try to get a camera in there. I may not be able to get it tomorrow. The kid has cheerleading practice tomorrow night.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:32 PM

Ok well I figured as such about thw flex plate being stock. But so far everything is leading to a mechanical problem with the engine. But you are sure you can turn it by hand? But also im not convinced that the starter is engaging properly. Hhhmmmmm
Old 12-03-2013, 03:58 AM

I think that's the problem too. It really looks like it's hitting the flexplate. A friend here at work just told me about starter shims. I've never heard of them before. Do you (or anyone else) know anything about them?
Old 12-03-2013, 05:38 AM

here is a thought. perhaps you can see if it would engage if you wiggled it. I don't know if it will be obvious or not because you should disconnect the main power to the starter while doing this so you don't actually crank the engine.

One guy loosens the two starter bolts juts a little bit, the other guy turns the key. perhaps if you can tell the difference between when it seats properly on the flex plate and when it doesn't, it can conclusively show that seating in fact is the issue.

another thing to try is turn the engine by hand a few degrees and try to start it, and do this for a full rotation and see if any part of the flex plate works.

The problem with 'some portions' of the flex plate working and others not is.. you're going to be adding stress to the starter while it cranks. So don't keep usin it that way. This test i guess would show that your flex plate is out of spec... which I can't imagine what causes that. lol.

again, thinking out loud here
Old 12-03-2013, 05:59 AM

here is a thought. perhaps you can see if it would engage if you wiggled it. I don't know if it will be obvious or not because you should disconnect the main power to the starter while doing this so you don't actually crank the engine.

One guy loosens the two starter bolts juts a little bit, the other guy turns the key. perhaps if you can tell the difference between when it seats properly on the flex plate and when it doesn't, it can conclusively show that seating in fact is the issue.

another thing to try is turn the engine by hand a few degrees and try to start it, and do this for a full rotation and see if any part of the flex plate works.

The problem with 'some portions' of the flex plate working and others not is.. you're going to be adding stress to the starter while it cranks. So don't keep usin it that way. This test i guess would show that your flex plate is out of spec... which I can't imagine what causes that. lol.

again, thinking out loud here
I tried yesterday to loosen the mounting bolts on the starter a little and cranking it that way. I was hoping that it just needed a little tweaking to seat properly, but I still got the same result. There isn't much play to wiggle it around even with the bolts loosened. It fits pretty snug so I'm not sure if that would do much good anyway, but it's worth a shot. I'm starting to wonder if it could be an issue with the way the starter motor is mounted to the solenoid body. It's the solenoid body that bolts to the bell housing and then the starter motor with the bendix bolts to that. Maybe I need to loosen those screws and see if that can be moved any...

Also, have you noticed how many people are having starter problems just in the past couple of days???? I know of 3 threads that have been busy this week and all of them seem to have this same problem. Seems odd.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:20 AM

lol at the many starter problems...

if it's the way the starter and solenoid are joined together, it's a warranty issue.

BUT, since this is once of 3 (unless I missed one) that you have had on the engine and you still have the same problem, I wouldn't really spend time messing about with the starter.

I'm at work now and all I can think about is the next few things to do on my 4runner build and what the solution is to your problem. lol
Old 12-04-2013, 04:25 AM

So I've learned in the past day or two that there are 2 different starters for the 89 with the 22re manual transmission setup. There's a 1.0kW and a 1.4kW. I don't know which one my old starter was and I don't know how to find out either. If anyone knows how to find that out, please let me know. My research shows the same part numbers for both manual and automatic models, but whenever I call someone to ask them I'm told there's a different starter for each. Maybe the 1.0kW is for the manual and the 1.4kW is for the automatic???? Or maybe the other way around?

I also learned that the shims aren't an option. That's just a Chevy thing. I'm starting to wonder if this is another issue where my truck only wants a Toyota brand replacement part.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:42 AM

The old starter on my 4Runner was no good as a core cause the solenoid body's casing was broken from the idiot before me knocking on it to start. But it did work otherwise. Cost me $$ since they didn't accept it as a core. But I got a replacement from NAPA and there was no mention of a 2nd one that may fit. Perhaps it's the year?? I think the auto parts stores should know!

But you know which one you have, so take it back and get the other one so this way you would have covered that as well.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:30 AM

The old starter on my 4Runner was no good as a core cause the solenoid body's casing was broken from the idiot before me knocking on it to start. But it did work otherwise. Cost me $$ since they didn't accept it as a core. But I got a replacement from NAPA and there was no mention of a 2nd one that may fit. Perhaps it's the year?? I think the auto parts stores should know!

But you know which one you have, so take it back and get the other one so this way you would have covered that as well.

The one I'm messing with now is from NAPA. I called a local junkyard and they have one out of an 87 4Runner that should work. I'm thinking about getting that and trying it if it's a Toyota brand. If that's the case then the other 2 are going back (which they probably are anyway since neither of them wants to work for me).
Old 12-04-2013, 05:06 PM

It's alive. IT'S ALIVE!!!! (evil laugh)

So it turns out I'm a little bit of an idiot. I went to work on the starter issue again tonight and after disconnecting the battery cables something told me to turn the crank with the starter on the truck. When I did I heard the electric motor in the starter turning. I knew at that point something was seriously wrong. Why would the bendix already be connecting the flexplate??? So I kept turning and after about half a revolution of the motor I heard it break free. The starter wasn't turning anymore. So I kept cranking the engine probably 10-15 more revolutions to see if the flywheel would catch the starter again and it didn't. Sooooo I hooked the wires back up and gave it a shot. After sitting for a couple weeks the motor was a little hesitant, but it was turning over! Finally it caught, sputtered, almost died, revved up, almost died again and finally the idle leveled out. I let it idle for a good hour just cuz I felt bad for it. Meanwhile I hooked up my new turn signal lights in the front bumper that I got after smashing that damn deer. All I need now is an alignment, my new license plates and I'm back on the road!!! I missed her so bad.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:39 PM

So what was the cause? Seems like it will happen again. Also, we had suggested that you should turn the motor by hand, shoulda done it sooner.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:13 PM

Received 664 Likes on 456 Posts
It's the Damned deer's fault. LOL!
Old 12-05-2013, 05:28 AM

So what was the cause? Seems like it will happen again. Also, we had suggested that you should turn the motor by hand, shoulda done it sooner.
It teeth on the starter were binding up with the teeth on the flexplate When I was putting it on. Apparenlty I'm very consistent in the way I do it because it must have been happening every time I put the starter on. I had tried turning the motor before, but I was checking to make sure the motor wasn't locked up and I did it with the starter off. I never tried it with the starter bolted in place. I knew it had to be something simple that I was missing. I tend to do that. I started it another 10 or so times last night after letting it run for a while just to make sure. So far so good! A new inspection tomorrow and a Christmas tree in the bed on Saturday!!!
Old 12-05-2013, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
It's the Damned deer's fault. LOL!

RIGHT!!! I still think he got the worse end of it tho lol. But still, I got his cousin a couple weeks ago.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
congrats on fixing the problem. Always a nice relief to finally fix a problem in your truck and makes you feel good that it wasnt something major, but sucks when you fix it because of something so simple lol. THat happened to me twice once with the fuel line being pinched (dont know how i did that) and not starting and another when my brother forgot to connect one of the vaccum lines so my truck ran like crap for a day untill i noticed he didnt put it back on. Always fun with these problems .
Old 12-06-2013, 02:57 AM

Angry The problem is still there.....

It happened again. I drove the truck last night to get things moving and I just missed the truck. Everything was great. This morning I get in to take it to the alignment shop before work and IT WON'T START!!! I turned the crank and the starter was jammed up again. I turned it until the starter freed up, but it still won't start. I assume it was still engaged while I was driving last night so I'm sure I just toasted another starter. I'm so pissed right now! I don't know if this has something to do with hitting the deer or my truck is just that picky about aftermarket starters. There's a local junkyard with an 87 Runner I'm going to get the starter out of once the sun comes up.

I'm at a complete loss here. If anybody has any ideas please share them.

Quick Reply: Truck won't start. Please read before giving me hell....