Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RSR
No fluid check? Wowser.

Who said there was no fluid check?
Old 09-06-2013, 07:05 PM
RSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KtrainHurricane
The first time all they did was drive it themselves, and hook it up to the scanner. Once I left (because they told me to just keep driving it and not worry about it), I took my 5 mile drive home, changed for work, and headed out again...that is when the transmission started slipping.
No fluid check by the shop -- according to you.

Last edited by RSR; 09-06-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by RSR
No fluid check by the shop -- according to you.
I am not sure if they checked it or not. I did ask him about changing the fluid being a possible solution - he asked me in return when was the last time I had it changed.

I told him never, because I had only owned the truck for a handful of months, and was not sure if my mechanic had ever changed/added fluid after a checkup/oil change (never mentioned it to me), or if the previous owner had it done...so the transmission shop rep. said that once fluid gets old or burnt it is better to leave it, because clean fluid can kill the transmission.

But again, he never said whether he did or did not check the fluid.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:06 PM
RSR

I was just surprised about them not checking, or at least not mentioning... Typically that's the first thing tranny shops check. But maybe that's why they told you not to bother with changing the fluid. They saw it was burnt...

About the only way you can catch/save a tranny w/ burnt fluid is like when I first mentioned -- you get an overheat light and change your fluid immediately, knowing that it was fresh before the overheat... Checking your tranny fluid and engine oil is a good every gas fillup habit to get into too. BOth catch problems before they completely wreck stuff. Might be too late for a tranny, but *shouldn't* be if done regularly and knowing your fluid's freshness.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:26 PM

A lot of good info in this thread.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:33 PM

I agree on the earlier as stated opinion on not changing your fluid if it has not properly been maintained. The bits of metal in the old fluid help the once soft but now hard faced clutches to grab and grip. Once those are gone, the trans could possibly not move again due to the loss of friction. I know some of the late 90's f150's definitely adhere to this rule!
Old 09-08-2013, 04:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^-- Whoa Whoa take it easy we only do Toyotas here. Haha.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:47 PM

My bad
Old 09-08-2013, 06:19 PM

I think my Overdrive is having an issue:

I was on my way home from work tonight (12 miles, ~25 mins.) and my truck felt like it was stuck in a gear. Usually, I would feel that last "kick" right around when I would cruise at 50 mph. Tonight, the last "kick" I felt was just above 30 mph, while giving 50%-75% throttle. I clicked the O/D button on the shifter to see if that was the problem, and the light wasn't coming on/the truck wasn't shifting out of OD. I tried it every few miles on my way home, and it finally started to "work" when I was about 1 mile from my house.

This is the first I have noticed this, but then again I have only drive the truck for 1 day since getting it back from the repair shop. Any ideas as to what could cause this? The truck was running considerably cooler tonight than usual...could that be the issue?
Old 09-08-2013, 06:36 PM

Sounds like you have a warranty at the repair shop and you need to pay them a visit.

If the truck is indeed getting "stuck" in certain gears however is more than likely an electronic control fault in the transmission.

-Poor electronic connections.

-Poor connections in Transmission Mode Selector switch.

-Electronic Shift solenoid(s) malfunction.

-Debris in Valve Body.

-Fluid Pressure.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:30 PM

I drove the truck around for awhile yesterday, and the transmission was still slow going into gear once it got "hot." That is, after parking the truck, running into the store, and coming back out, it takes a second or two before it actually goes into R, and then takes another 2 secs or so when shifting from R to D. Any idea why this is happening?
Old 09-11-2013, 07:56 PM

^-- Check Fluid Level.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:52 AM

So I was on my way home from school again today, and THE TRANSMISSION LIGHT CAME ON AGAIN! A week and < 250 miles after paying $1,600 to have it completely rebuilt and it is still overheating...

When I got home I checked the level and it seemed fine - right at the last notch for "Hot." I took some pictures of the napkin I wiped the fluid off on...not knowledgeable on transmissions at all, but I think it is supposed to be more "red" and less "brown" than this, right? The pictures were taken on top of my brown-ish/beige-ish counter top for color comparison:

According to the chart found here (http://www.magna-guard.com/Images/ATF1.jpg), it seems to be at the "OK, plan to change" stage...which if true is b/s considering the money I just spent on this.

Going back to the transmission shop in the next 10 mins. or so, but I have a feeling this isn't going to go well (with the way my luck is).
Old 09-13-2013, 06:15 PM
RSR

Yes, that's not right at all. Unfortunately, I'm not tranny proficient to tell you much more than that. (The only way it could be right is if they only replaced pan fluid, which they shouldn't have since they replaced your torque converter...).

Don't wish tranny issues on anyone... Spent 3 months to and from the tranny shop with some yahoos when we did my wife's a couple years back before they finally dropped a fully remanufactured tranny into it... I work from home, but she didn't and that was our only car at the time, so the tranny shop's screw ups also added nicely to Enterprise Rentacars profits over those 3 months...

Also, your truck should go into gear no longer than a second. Mine's probably less than that. Don't know enough about tranny operation to say, but the FSM has a tranny troubleshoot section, that might be a good place to start. http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...30generalt.pdf
Full auto tranny section: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...autotrans.html

And your truck is set to unlock the overdrive at 158*F (and you ahve a 180* thermostat on your truck), so it could very well be a solenoid issue there.

Last edited by RSR; 09-13-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:56 AM

Just got my truck back. Here is what they said they did:

1). Replaced the temperature sensor. Apparently they think the old one was faulty (and I am assuming that is why they think the A/T Oil Temp light was coming on). Doesn't make sense since the fluid looked burnt...which means it actually was too hot.

2). Said they "changed the fluid again." Didn't have a chance to check it myself (it is raining pretty heavily outside), but I will hopefully get around to it tomorrow.

3). They "adjusted the pressure cable" to fix the slow-into-gear issue I was having.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:09 PM

Drove my 45-min. trip to school today, and just as I was getting off the exit my A/T Oil Temp light came on again! I called the shop right away, and he basically said "ignore it" (in less words). He said that the temp sensor they installed might be bad and they will replace it with "a different brand" when I bring it back in. Also said there may be a short in the electrical system, causing the light to come on. He kept assuring me that there is no problem with the transmission whatsoever, and to just keep driving it without worry.

This obviously means that he thinks the temp light is coming on for no reason. I will check the fluid tomorrow to see if it is burnt...I have a feeling it will be.

The transmission is also jerking HARD into gear when it is cold. 1-2 shift, 2-3 shift. HARD. I am assuming this has to do with the cable pressure adjustment they made to offset the slow shift into gear (P to R pulling out of a parking spot, R to D leaving a parking lot, etc.)
Old 09-17-2013, 05:03 PM

Apparently... that Transaxle repair shop... is not fixing anything...

Hard shifting when cold suspects an oil flow problem....

-Possible Transmission fluid filter restricted...?

-Fluid pump malfunction...?

The Transaxle is overheating for another reason they have not remedied.

-Fluid flow could be the reason.

-Incorrect Transaxle fluid...?

Last edited by Kiroshu; 09-17-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:20 PM

I brought it back today and I will say that they seem very polite and willing to help. They kept apologizing for the continuous problem, and said they want to do everything to fix it for me at no additional charge.

The owner of the shop asked for my permission to drive the truck to his home, which happens to be in Boca (where I go to school/where the A/T Oil Temp light came on last). He said he was going to bring his scanner with him and check the temp. when he got home to see if it was actually overheating, or if something else was tripping the light.

I addressed the fact that every time the temp. light has come on it was a sunny day, i.e. hot outside. I said that when I drove back from Orlando it was overcast and raining and that I thought those two circumstances helped keep the transmission cool (which I do believe is true). He said that weather or outside circumstances such as rain cannot effect the transmission; that it is either getting hot or its not; that "it doesn't know" if it has been idling for 2 hours or if I have been on the highway for 2 hours...

I also suggested that perhaps the cooling system was clogged or had some degree of restricted flow. He didn't think this was the case, but said if it is they would throw on an external cooler for me at no charge to fix the problem (I think they're as tired of me bringing it back as I am of going back).

He also said he will "check out" the hard shifting problem. It only does this when the engine is cold...not sure what it is, but he said he will look at it.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:21 PM

Yikes, my 'runner has 310k mi I am subscribing to this
Old 09-17-2013, 05:23 PM

Good to hear they are least working with you and not constantly charging you.

Quick Reply: Transmission Problem (...Overheating??)