86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

TPS vs. Timing

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mice

Originally Posted by MMA_Alex
cat food in the intake = mice lol

once upon a time I had dog biscuits in the air filter, with little mice bites in em.
I did have a friend that had his truck parked in a shed for 3 months , came back and wouldn't start for nothing , eventually found that a family of field mice had moved into his intake , he found the filter housing had small hole and filter was chewed up and replaced thinking they had gone .............they went alright ........they went right down and made house deep in the intake , he had to pull the intake to remove all the debris , to this day we don't know how they figured out to get by the throttle plate hehe , I guess it was relatives of Motorcycle Mouse and they had some mechanical knowledge lol
Old 10-10-2007, 08:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
oh and that meter is probably auto ranging, and shouldn't have any issues measuring the resistances we're looking at here. It will say in the manual what the ranges are, but i'm sure its way wider than needed for this task...
Old 10-10-2007, 12:20 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MMA_Alex
oh and that meter is probably auto ranging, and shouldn't have any issues measuring the resistances we're looking at here. It will say in the manual what the ranges are, but i'm sure its way wider than needed for this task...
I'd wondered about that after I said something. Still, if one can go into diagnostic mode and set the timing the TPS is good. So....

Mystery solved...
You may be right about the mice thing. Because!...come to think of it... I did discover a pack rat in the vehicle (where I had the intake for "safe" keeping while I was working on it over a period of days) many moons later. That means the little f@@er was in there the whole time....and I didn't know! Oh well, he's not now! I guarantee it..muahahaha! Honestly, I hate killing them, though.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by n4ynu1010
I did have a friend that had his truck parked in a shed for 3 months , came back and wouldn't start for nothing , eventually found that a family of field mice had moved into his intake , he found the filter housing had small hole and filter was chewed up and replaced thinking they had gone .............they went alright ........they went right down and made house deep in the intake , he had to pull the intake to remove all the debris , to this day we don't know how they figured out to get by the throttle plate hehe , I guess it was relatives of Motorcycle Mouse and they had some mechanical knowledge lol
Yeah...they're deadlier than rust!
Old 10-15-2007, 03:53 PM

Finally some answers!!! I'm so thankful for all of the information & advice. Apparently, we were go'n in the wrong direction. Usually if you tweak something in the engine and something doesn't work--you figure that your tweaking didn't work.

Apparently when I adjusted the timing, it simply exacerbated the problem. I very reluctantly took the truck to the dealership (hey they cost the same as the local shop). They did a "colonoscopy" on the engine and found some coolant in the #4 cylinder. So I guess I just need to do a simple head gasket change. *sigh*

I've never done one of these before, but I've taken apart a 22r before. I know there's ample info around here so I'm gonna start the search'n. I'm trying to think about what else to change while I'm deep in the engine. I've owned the truck for 5 years and 50k miles. It's currently at 186k. I figure I'll change the timing chain and maybe the fuel filter. Any more ideas?
Old 10-15-2007, 05:25 PM

Well, congratulations....I think. Atleast you found the problem. Within all of this, we/someone should have suggested a compression test. But, hey...there are limits to the medium of our exchange here. I'm surprised, though. You should have noticed symptoms of this. Like loss of coolant and white exhaust with the usual aroma. Did you not?

If you're up for it....money-wise....go for the full front-end rebuild kit from engnblr.com with the steel back TC guide. It's a good deal for the quality you get. Plus, stellar customer service. You can find the kit on ebay....s'where I got mine. But, if you're confident about the oil pump and/or water pump, just spring for the timing kit w/steel backed guide. He also has good top end rebuild kits....your headbolts and gaskets and whatnot. Also, get a new knock sensor and wire and (I would) an engine coolant temp sensor. Of course, get the head inspected and resurfaced along with a valve inspect and adjustment.

With that many miles, most likely your fine on the bottom end. Unless, it was smoking (from oil), consuming oil, or knocking or anything like that. Otherwise, this is the time to do take care of that as well.

Anyhow, those are my suggestions. Take 'em or leave 'em. Now....back to my cigar and perusing of the forum...

Last edited by thook; 10-15-2007 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:27 PM

Tps / Timing

Well I am happy you found the problem but sorry you have to do a head job instead of a TPS .
But the 4 banger is a much easier one than the 6 for sure
I had my heads done on the recall on my 3.0 , havn't had to do one on it yet , keep us posted on your progress
Old 10-15-2007, 05:41 PM

Head Gasket ???? HeHe

Originally Posted by thook
Well, congratulations....I think. Atleast you found the problem. Within all of this, we/someone should have suggested a compression test. But, hey...there are limits to the medium of our exchange here. I'm surprised, though. You should have noticed symptoms of this. Like loss of coolant and white exhaust with the usual aroma. Did you not?

If you're up for it....money-wise....go for the full front-end rebuild kit from engnblr.com with the steel back TC guide. It's a good deal for the quality you get. Plus, stellar customer service. You can find the kit on ebay....s'where I got mine. But, if you're confident about the oil pump and/or water pump, just spring for the timing kit w/steel backed guide. He also has good top end rebuild kits....your headbolts and gaskets and whatnot. Also, get a new knock sensor and wire and (I would) an engine coolant temp sensor. Of course, get the head inspected and resurfaced along with a valve inspect and adjustment.

With that many miles, most likely your fine on the bottom end. Unless, it was smoking (from oil), consuming oil, or knocking or anything like that. Otherwise, this is the time to do take care of that as well.

Anyhow, those are my suggestions. Take 'em or leave 'em. Now....back to my cigar and perusing of the forum...
Didn't I suggest a Compression Check............................................. LOL No ! but I guess we need to edit our thread titles and make them "Head Gasket now huh hehe , all this good info on a TPS and such and it turns out a Head Gasket , Informative but Sad
Old 10-15-2007, 05:52 PM

Ah...it could be worse for our Yota brethren here, but I don't believe I've met one wrench head who didn't like new parts. Just gives one a sense of satisfaction regardless of the associated knot in the gut that one's wallet is quite a bit lighter. And, afterward, since all one can afford is ramen noodles and spam one can always blame that sick knot on their present diet. Ex-lax, anyone?
Old 10-15-2007, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by thook
Ah...it could be worse for our Yota brethren here, but I don't believe I've met one wrench head who didn't like new parts. Just gives one a sense of satisfaction regardless of the associated knot in the gut that one's wallet is quite a bit lighter. And, afterward, since all one can afford is ramen noodles and spam one can always blame that sick knot on their present diet. Ex-lax, anyone?
Me Me Me