Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Toyota factory maintenance oil change schedele 22re/3vze

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This has been an interesting read. Personally I have always changed my oil a 5k and have never been early or late in changing the oil. Guess that has been a bit of overkill especially the fact that my 22re has only seen full synthetic motor oil. I normally like to use a 80/20 ratio of full synthetic oil and Lucas oil stabilizer. Might be overkill but she runs like the day she left the showroom.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by "G"
daved5150 you should try reading the links you are re-posting from other forums. http://<b><i>http://www.precisioneng...posed</i></b>/
I didn't get that link from another forum. I did a search on bing.

I also have to apologize because I have incorrect info posted here in this thread:

The dirty oil comes into the filter through the center hole, passes through the filtering media and then goes along the outside walls to the holes found along the outside of the plate...so yes, the grit you see along the walls would be flowing back into the motor with the "clean" oil.

That is wrong. Oil flows through the outside holes along the perimeter of the base plate through the media, then out the center hole to the motor. Sorry guys.

Originally Posted by Hilux4Life
This has been an interesting read. Personally I have always changed my oil a 5k and have never been early or late in changing the oil. Guess that has been a bit of overkill especially the fact that my 22re has only seen full synthetic motor oil. I normally like to use a 80/20 ratio of full synthetic oil and Lucas oil stabilizer. Might be overkill but she runs like the day she left the showroom.
Thanks for your input, Hilux. You could probably go longer with an oil filter change half way through. What year, mileage, motor, etc. do you have?

Look, I'm not trying to make this thread about oil, the Filtermag or oil can catch cans. I just wanted people to know what I have on my truck and why I feel confident in running the oil longer. I like using the Filtermag and believe that it benefits the motor. That is my belief. Is it overkill? Yeah, probably is. But I've always been about OVERKILL. That is what is on my Ford on the front windshield in big silver letters on top. That is this man's opinion. I just wanted to get this info out there...use it how you may.

What I am going to do is run this oil I just changed in my 4Runner for 7500 miles but I am going to do a filter change halfway through. But I am going to take a sample at 3250 miles and send it in to have it analyzed. I'll post the results here.

So bump to the top and post your feelings on the factory specified oil change interval of 7500 miles. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
I bought my truck with 92,000 miles on it. I use to regular oil with 3-4000 mile changes until 150,000 miles, then switched to synthetic (Mobil 1). I changed the synthetic every 5000 miles, until I had the oil tested in 2007. Information gained from that test helped me realize I can go over 8000 miles on an oil change & still have full protection. I did a complete engine rebuild at 218,000 due to blown head gasket caused by overheating (failed water pump).

I switched to Amsoil 0-W40 last year and experienced better oil pressure then I had with mobil 1 15-W40. I use a little more than a quart in 80000 miles. I'm using a Purolator PureOne (the larger one) oil filter now. I currently have 275,000 miles on the odometer & fully expect to see 500,000 miles with this truck.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:54 AM
"G"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
??????

You had it all wrong.

Originally Posted by "G"
Per your own link:

Here’s a surprise: the filtering media does not actually filter.

Yup, that’s right. The filtering media does not actually filter. Remember the oil bath air cleaners of the ’40s and ’50s? If you’re old enough to remember them, you may or may not be aware that they worked by forcing incoming air to follow an “S”-shaped route past a trough of engine oil. The concept was, the air could easily follow the turns, while the heavier particles of dirt and debris couldn’t make the turn, and momentum would carry the grit straight into the oil, where it was held hostage until someone dumped the dirty oil and replenished it.

Believe it or not, that’s actually how modern oil filters work. The filtering media does not act like a screen, but rather traps contaminants that cannot change direction easily. Of course, explains Purolator’s Nuñez, today’s oil filter media is very sophisticated, and much science has gone into its design and construction. The design of the media determines how small a particle can be held, and how much capacity the filter has for holding debris.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:42 AM

Today's oils are so much better then what they used to be 20 years ago that you could easily go 7500 miles on conventional oil and one filter, a good quality one that is.

I use a remote oil filter mount and oil cooler for my 22RE, this allows me to run a Fram PH8A type filter. I use Napa Gold and it's about 2.5 times the size of the stock filter. I use Amsoil 20W-50, it's the best oil I've used that resists burn off. I have 230K. I change my oil once a year or at least 10k miles. I've been doing this for the last 8 years with no problems.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by "G"
You had it all wrong.
So what's your point? Explain....Look man, I'm not here to argue with you...but what are you trying to say here?

I look forward to your clarification....

Thanks TNRabbit for the info. Once I do the timing chain and tighten the motor back up with new seals and gaskets, etc...I want to run a 0w oil once it's broken in. I have one of the Purolator #30001's that I am going to run once I get a bigger Filtermag to fit it.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Hilux808
Today's oils are so much better then what they used to be 20 years ago that you could easily go 7500 miles on conventional oil and one filter, a good quality one that is.

I use a remote oil filter mount and oil cooler for my 22RE, this allows me to run a Fram PH8A type filter. I use Napa Gold and it's about 2.5 times the size of the stock filter. I use Amsoil 20W-50, it's the best oil I've used that resists burn off. I have 230K. I change my oil once a year or at least 10k miles. I've been doing this for the last 8 years with no problems.

Hope this helps.
Yeah it helps. Good to see someone having good luck with longer drain intervals. Where do you have the remote filter mounted?
Old 08-02-2012, 08:23 AM

It sits on the passenger fender wall in the engine bay. I had to remove my washer tank to make it fit, it hangs low enough so you can see the filter looking in from the wheel well. This also makes for easier and less messy oil changes. I will always put a remote oil filter mount on any vehicle I own just because of that alone.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I usually go 6 months until doing an oil change with the NAPA Gold Oil Filter Brand. I don't really count the mileage unless I go on a road trip or something.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Hilux808
It sits on the passenger fender wall in the engine bay. I had to remove my washer tank to make it fit, it hangs low enough so you can see the filter looking in from the wheel well. This also makes for easier and less messy oil changes. I will always put a remote oil filter mount on any vehicle I own just because of that alone.
Thanks for the info, bro. Good to know. I ran a remote oil filter setup with dual filters/Filtermags on my F350 351v8.

Originally Posted by cr@ves4wheelin
I usually go 6 months until doing an oil change with the NAPA Gold Oil Filter Brand. I don't really count the mileage unless I go on a road trip or something.
Keep 'em coming guys....