86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Throttle turns off and on like a switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 09:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 87redtruck
SPARKS - The 88 and older 22re's intake plenum faces slightly down where it connects to the throttle body (TB). The 89 and later intake to TB connection is vertical. Check out LC Engineering's website to get a visual of what I am talking about (http://www.lceperformance.com/Intake...lds-s/1343.htm).

My mpg has been around 15. My goal is to get 20 out of it after some work (I've done it before), but this issue is causing me problems. I am waiting for it to get warmer to begin working on it. My next move will be to clean out the IACV below the TB starting from where the coolant hose connects near the thermostat and removing the whole IACV to run some kind of flush through it.

I double-checked last night and the plenum on my intake is vertical. I also checked the sticker inside my door and the date says 06/89 so I should be looking for the latter TPS for the 89 model. I don't remember the part number for the TPS I got from the dealer, but the one I have on my spreadsheet that I save all that info on is 8945220050. After some research I know that's the wrong one, but I can't find the part number for the one I need. The dealership looked mine up according to my VIN and confirmed it when I called back about it, but it obviously wasn't the right one.

Here are some links. The first is supposedly the TPS for the early 89 model, but the fingers line up like it should with my throttle body.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...759&cc=1388875
The second is for the late 89 model, but the fingers are a full 90* off of what they should be according to the plate on the side of my throttle body.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...759&cc=1388875

The first link shows the one that is on my truck right now, but it doesn't work and it doesn't make sense when compared to the manufacture date on the truck.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SpaRKS has your engine been replaced? or out of the truck? that could be the issue as they change after 92 also ! but will still work! Bama Yota no its not limp its just the injector pulsewidth time is not reading the Wiper on the tps anymore !!!
Its better than with a bad Tps and one that I got from the junkyard that failed in like a week !! I have no codes with it disconected and it runs better than Ever it just sucks when its under frezing outside!

when my idle gos down in the heat its great on gas !!

better than with the tps yes maybe a brand new one from toyota will make it better butt.... thats money and waiting for me up in Canada I have a good dealer up here though! but ya you may need to tune your Vafm to lower your idle mine is under 1000 rpm over like 8deg celsius but bad under minus 8 deg celsius! I am rinning mud tires and low gears and its still not as bad as some from the warmer states are getting !!!
Old 03-21-2013, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Snortin Nortin
SpaRKS has your engine been replaced? or out of the truck? that could be the issue as they change after 92 also ! but will still work!
Sorry. I've been on the go since last week and haven't had a chance to mess with it again.

Not that I'm aware of. I'll get the SN off the engine block tonight so I can compare it to the VIN. I'll check the grounds too. I've checked them before and they were fine so I don't think that's the problem. I'd also think that if it were a ground issue other things would be going screwy too, but it never hurts to double-check. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-19-2013, 08:01 AM

I know I kinda left this thread hanging. Sorry about that guys! I've been dealing with some personal issues and the truck had to go on the back burner for a little while. I still haven't fixed my truck yet, but it's time to finally get this thing taken care of.

Originally Posted by Jkelley429
Well, I guess i'm about to have to pay a visit to the dealer. When I got my TPS they took my VIN number and looked it up but still gave me the wrong part. The right one has the black back on it, but they gave me the silver one. It's been running like crap for over a year and getting terrible mileage because of it. Thats the kinda stuff that will really piss somebody off.
After re-reading the thread it sounds like you have the exact same problem as me. Did you ever get the other TPS from the dealership? If so, did it fix your problem and would you mind sharing the part number?
Old 06-19-2013, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by SPARKS89
I know I kinda left this thread hanging. Sorry about that guys! I've been dealing with some personal issues and the truck had to go on the back burner for a little while. I still haven't fixed my truck yet, but it's time to finally get this thing taken care of.

After re-reading the thread it sounds like you have the exact same problem as me. Did you ever get the other TPS from the dealership? If so, did it fix your problem and would you mind sharing the part number?
Well, i've kinda been the same way lately. The yota has been put on the back burner because i got another daily driver as my graduation present. Should be getting the TPS within the next couple weeks and will post an update then.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jkelley429

Well, i've kinda been the same way lately. The yota has been put on the back burner because i got another daily driver as my graduation present. Should be getting the TPS within the next couple weeks and will post an update then.
I ordered a new TPS today myself (along with a blower motor resistor). All my wiring is good and I have good voltage to the TPS. The night I put the current one on it worked good but the next morning it crapped out so maybe my whole problem was a faulty new TPS. We'll see if this fixes it.

Also, this part is still a little fuzzy to me, but I've done research and there are 2 TPS's for the 89 model. One for pre 3/89 and the other for post 3/89. My truck was made in June of 89, but still uses the older style TPS for some reason. The only think I can think of is maybe someone replaced the throttle body with the old model at some point. I'll see what I can find out and let you know. Maybe it can help you out too.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:22 AM

It's fixed!!!!

My new TPS came in Friday and I got it put in Saturday afternoon and IT WORKS!

It turns out that the TPS that was there when I bought the truck wasn't working and I didn't know it for a long time and then the replacement I bought was bad from the start and I looked at everything else before I figured that out. It ended up being a waste of time because that was the problem all along, but at least I know all that other stuff I checked is good. The replacement TPS that I bought last summer will be going back to RockAuto for a refund this week!

The engine runs a lot smoother than it ever has, it has a noticeable power improvement, the idle is more consistant and FOR THE FIRST TIME the engine didn't knock on a warm start!!!!! I don't know if that has anything to do with it and I don't want to get my hopes up too much about that, but it was a very welcome sound to not be hearing. We'll see if it keeps up. I don't want to jinx myself!

Thanks to everybody that offered ideas and suggestions to help me get it working right! I'm looking forward to hitting that 1/4 million mark, but I'll take as much time as I can getting to that point!
Old 06-24-2013, 08:25 AM

And just in case anyone is wondering, my truck was built in June of 89 and it should have used the latter 89 model TPS, but it didn't. I had to use the early 89 (pre 03/89) TPS. I don't know why this is. Maybe someone replaced the throttle body somewhere along the way and used the early model......

either way it works. Just remember: vertical fingers=early 89 TPS, horizontal fingers=late 89 TPS!
Old 06-25-2013, 03:43 PM

thats great info cause my 92 3.0 does the same thing intermitantly and i thought that it was tps, the symptoms listed in this thread have pretty much confirmed it is so i will get hold of a new tps, thanks
Old 07-03-2013, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by SPARKS89
My new TPS came in Friday and I got it put in Saturday afternoon and IT WORKS!

It turns out that the TPS that was there when I bought the truck wasn't working and I didn't know it for a long time and then the replacement I bought was bad from the start and I looked at everything else before I figured that out. It ended up being a waste of time because that was the problem all along, but at least I know all that other stuff I checked is good. The replacement TPS that I bought last summer will be going back to RockAuto for a refund this week!

The engine runs a lot smoother than it ever has, it has a noticeable power improvement, the idle is more consistant and FOR THE FIRST TIME the engine didn't knock on a warm start!!!!! I don't know if that has anything to do with it and I don't want to get my hopes up too much about that, but it was a very welcome sound to not be hearing. We'll see if it keeps up. I don't want to jinx myself!

Thanks to everybody that offered ideas and suggestions to help me get it working right! I'm looking forward to hitting that 1/4 million mark, but I'll take as much time as I can getting to that point!
Let us know how it affects your gas mileage! I have been riding around with the TPS unplugged for about a year now for the same reason. I am thinking my replacement TPS might have been bad as well.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:07 AM

After a couple tanks of gas I've noticed that my gas mileage went DOWN! Before replacing the TPS I was getting a little over 23 mpg, but now my math shows barely over 22 mpg. Not a big difference and that little bit can definitely be accounted for by driving habits. I guess I've been a little more into it since I got it fixed. You can definitely feel the power increase since replacing the sensor.....I guess I just wanted to have some fun with it

I'll keep doing the math when I fill up and post any changes. The idle is SOOO much smoother than it ever was for me before which is nice and I would certainly hope that the engine is running cleaner now too. Honestly, I really don't care about emissions (sorry tree huggers, just not my thing). I'm concerned about the clenliness of my engine. I know running it in safe mode for so long couldn't have been good for it. She purrs good now tho!
Old 07-05-2013, 05:37 AM

yeah I could care less about emissions. I was just hesitating because the dealer charges way too much for them. Glad it's working out nice for you now and thanks for the update.