Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Throttle turns off and on like a switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 04:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, those are the right color combinations for the wires on that loose connector and green/white goes to pin 13. I can't find anywhere that it should plug into tho. I haven't checked the ground strap, but I will tomorrow. Might not be a bad time to do the famous 3-wire upgrade I've read about. I went for a drive into town tonight and it's not idling high now. I didn't adjust anything earlier. All I did was test wiring and sensors.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:03 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Ah it's an 89 fed emission you probably never had one, it sticks out the top of the EGR port on the back of the air chamber if you do. Judging by the kinks in the line it just lost it's tape and poped up above the intake.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subscribed. Im having a similar problem and looking for a fix.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Ah it's an 89 fed emission you probably never had one, it sticks out the top of the EGR port on the back of the air chamber if you do. Judging by the kinks in the line it just lost it's tape and poped up above the intake.
It was kinked. I pulled the tape off it last night thinking it was supposed to be plugged into something and the PO had disconnected it. There's no connection anywhere. I guess that confirms it's not a California truck.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jkelley429
Subscribed. Im having a similar problem and looking for a fix.
You're driving with your TPS unplugged too? What all have you tried?
Old 03-13-2013, 06:24 AM

TPS is connected. My truck usually does the weird idle when cold and gradually gets better. Throttle adjustment is bottomed out but it still idles high. TPS is in spec. Ive been drivign like that for several months, so ive gotten use to it.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:25 AM

Have the same issue.

JKelley - After replacing my TPS, my idle also is high (1500-1800 RPM) at first start and eventual goes down.

SPARKS89 - I also have that wire sticking out and could never find where to connect it.
CO 94 PU - Thank you for clearing this up.

Regarding the 89s, I saw when ordering a TPS on AdvancedAuto, there were two options for 89s, prior to 2/28/89 and post 3/1/89. In comparison, the TPS for 89s for yotas made after 3/89 matches with the fingers of the OEM one from Toyota that SPARKS bought. Alternatively, the TPS for 89 yotas made prior to 2/28/89 matched the aftermarket TPS SPARKS bought.

I wish I could give you more information on my end, but when i disconnected my replaced TPS to see how it would run, I had no real power until i plugged it back in. My issues have been a prolonged high RPM at startup and fluctuating idle during driving. If I stop at a red light, my idle could either be 1000 or 750 so I try to keep it at 1000 in case it does drop. Otherwise, if I run it at 750 or 800 it could drop to 500.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jkelley429
TPS is connected. My truck usually does the weird idle when cold and gradually gets better. Throttle adjustment is bottomed out but it still idles high. TPS is in spec. Ive been drivign like that for several months, so ive gotten use to it.
Have you checked your IACV? It may be dirty or you might have an air bubble in it keeping it from working right. Your cold start injector could be squirting constantly because of that.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by 87redtruck
Have the same issue.

JKelley - After replacing my TPS, my idle also is high (1500-1800 RPM) at first start and eventual goes down.

SPARKS89 - I also have that wire sticking out and could never find where to connect it.

Regarding the 89s, I saw when ordering a TPS on AdvancedAuto, there were two options for 89s, prior to 2/28/89 and post 3/1/89. In comparison, the TPS for 89s for yotas made after 3/89 matches with the fingers of the OEM one from Toyota that SPARKS bought. Alternatively, the TPS for 89 yotas made prior to 2/28/89 matched the aftermarket TPS SPARKS bought.

I wish I could give you more information on my end, but when i disconnected my replaced TPS to see how it would run, I had no real power until i plugged it back in. My issues have been a prolonged high RPM at startup and fluctuating idle during driving. If I stop at a red light, my idle could either be 1000 or 750 so I try to keep it at 1000 in case it does drop. Otherwise, if I run it at 750 or 800 it could drop to 500.
Your truck is supposed to start with a high idle when cold. That is your cold start system functioning. The idle rpm should decrease smoothly as the truck warms.

The inconsistent idle after warm is most likely the iacv. They tend to get gunked up over time and need to be cleaned.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:49 AM

Have the same issue.

What do you consider a prolonged high RPM at startup? Mine usually runs around 2k and works itself down to between 600-1000 RPMs within about 5 minutes or so. This seems like an adequate amount of time for the engine to warm up as the RPMs drop as the temperature gauge climbs.

I'm beginning to think this problem may be more than just the TPS. I've read other threads similar to this and they talk about the CEL being lit when the TPS is unplugged. My TPS has been unplugged for months and the old TPS was bad and my CEL has never been on because of it. I'm starting to question my ECU, but I don't know how to test it. All my wiring checks out and I have just under 6 volts power to my TPS.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by SPARKS89
What do you consider a prolonged high RPM at startup? Mine usually runs around 2k and works itself down to between 600-1000 RPMs within about 5 minutes or so. This seems like an adequate amount of time for the engine to warm up as the RPMs drop as the temperature gauge climbs.

I'm beginning to think this problem may be more than just the TPS. I've read other threads similar to this and they talk about the CEL being lit when the TPS is unplugged. My TPS has been unplugged for months and the old TPS was bad and my CEL has never been on because of it. I'm starting to question my ECU, but I don't know how to test it. All my wiring checks out and I have just under 6 volts power to my TPS.
http://web.archive.org/web/20101127011752/http://ncttora.com/fsm/87-4Runner/toyota_truck_and_4runner_88.pdf

This manual is 88 specific, but should work. I highly suggest you download this and save it on your computer before it disappears. It is a large file, so it will take a while to load.

Last edited by BamaYota1; 03-13-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:32 AM

I have a similar problem with my 88. It has seemed to be a tps adjustment problem or faulty tps alltogether but i have so much stuff going on that it still runs and i just make short trips mostly with it. However it drastically has reduced my power and acceleration as well as dropped my fuel mileage. I had a few other tps's laying around and i go by the 4crawler writep as far as adjustment but as you said earlier there is a fine line with the feeler gauge in place as my meter jumps around to much to have a sure lock on the reading. So i just got it as close as i could and still have a couple codes and a cel only in morning after approx 10minutes of driving then it goes out.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:50 AM

Code 41 is a cali emissions code only, so the TPS isn't supposed to trigger on fed trucks.

For the original throttle issue..
I'm leaning towards maybe the ECU, suspecting the fuel cut off is being triggered. Or possibly a ground issue.

The slightly out of spec voltage supplied to the TPS from the ECM is a concern, is that ~6v reading with the TPS disconnected(it'll be slightly high with no load!) if so check it again with the sensor pluged in.

How consistent is the shut-down...

Can you hook up a test lamp to the E2 and monitor it while reproducing the shutdown? Other possible grounds are the E1, E01 and E02, Not sure on the routing of those inside the computer but those three are all spliced in the harness.

Could try monitoring the injector pulses, but unless it cuts off for an extended period(1sec or so) you can't really monitor that with a simple lamp.

Maybe monitor pins 1&2 on the COR, #2 is B+ which also supplies the power to VAFM and VSV's and Ox sensors, #1 is the fuel pump while not completely conclusive it'll eliminate the fuel pump cutting off (which could be a relay or other issue).

Kinda makes me wish the diag' break out box was a "do-able", would be a lot simpler if you could monitor and record all this junk at once.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:52 AM

I gave the local dealership the VIN off my truck to order that part and they gave me the wrong one. That makes sense tho. Does anybody happen to have pictures of the pre-2/28 throttle body v. the post-2/28 body? I'd would be nice to be able to see a side by side comparison.

I'm excited about getting some fuel mileage out of this thing. Inconsistant idle/performance really bothers me anyway because I'm so anal. It would be nice just to have it fixed. It hasn't been running right since I got it over a year ago.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:26 PM

Ok my truck actually liked the tps pulled off turned out the check I have been getting since she was put together!! guess I have been dealing with a bad tps the whole time my temp sensor for the comp was gone too!! but I left the Tps unplugged ! in the cold it sucks the gas!! but is more consistant at least sometimes before Esspecially when it was doing the throttle on throttle off thing! it was ok on gas but undrivable!

NOw its good just gotta push her down slow I have been putting a little Diesel in with the gas to bring my econ back up (nice tourque) it is getting its fuel curve by the Vafm so ya I don't know I would like better econ but as it warms up here its getting fairly good and idle is going back to 1000 and under again !

The higher your truck warm idles the worse the whole fuel curve is although by what I've read here you guys are good and prob know that lol but ya screw the tps!

Last edited by Snortin Nortin; 03-13-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Snortin Nortin
Ok my truck actually liked the tps pulled off turned out the check I have been getting since she was put together!! guess I have been dealing with a bad tps the whole time my temp sensor for the comp was gone too!! but I left the Tps unplugged ! in the cold it sucks the gas!! but is more consistant at least sometimes before Esspecially when it was doing the throttle on throttle off thing! it was ok on gas but undrivable!

NOw its good just gotta push her down slow I have been putting a little Diesel in with the gas to bring my econ back up (nice tourque) it is getting its fuel curve by the Vafm so ya I don't know I would like better econ but as it warms up here its getting fairly good and idle is going back to 1000 and under again !

The higher your truck warm idles the worse the whole fuel curve is although by what I've read here you guys are good and prob know that lol but ya screw the tps!
You realize you are running your truck in limp mode, right?
Old 03-13-2013, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
I'm leaning towards maybe the ECU, suspecting the fuel cut off is being triggered.
Yeah that makes no sense, would happen with or without the TPS. Also ground issues, or VAFM wiring or faults. Same thing would happen with or without.

Almost has to be something in the TPS circuits. Don't suppose you can get a loaner ECM maybe?
Old 03-14-2013, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by SPARKS89
Have you checked your IACV? It may be dirty or you might have an air bubble in it keeping it from working right. Your cold start injector could be squirting constantly because of that.
I pulled the TB off a while back and cleaned it and the IACV, hoping that would fix it. Also have checked to be sure TPS is in spec several times.

I know cold idle is supposed to be high, but mine seems like it is almost too high compared to other 22re motors i have heard. It's really not the high idle that bothers me as much as the fluctuating idle. I'll try to get a video of it tomorrow morning and post it so y'all can compare.

Also, cold start injector is not a problem as I have that unhooked and wired to a switch in the cab.

I'll have to check the part number on my TPS to make sure it is the right one, I got it from the dealership about a year ago.

Last edited by Jkelley429; 03-14-2013 at 05:29 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:46 AM

SPARKS - The 88 and older 22re's intake plenum faces slightly down where it connects to the throttle body (TB). The 89 and later intake to TB connection is vertical. Check out LC Engineering's website to get a visual of what I am talking about (http://www.lceperformance.com/Intake...lds-s/1343.htm).

My mpg has been around 15. My goal is to get 20 out of it after some work (I've done it before), but this issue is causing me problems. I am waiting for it to get warmer to begin working on it. My next move will be to clean out the IACV below the TB starting from where the coolant hose connects near the thermostat and removing the whole IACV to run some kind of flush through it.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:55 AM

Well, I guess i'm about to have to pay a visit to the dealer. When I got my TPS they took my VIN number and looked it up but still gave me the wrong part. The right one has the black back on it, but they gave me the silver one. It's been running like crap for over a year and getting terrible mileage because of it. Thats the kinda stuff that will really piss somebody off.

Quick Reply: Throttle turns off and on like a switch