Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Is there such thing as a "quiet" hi-flow muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 04:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whitetaco02
see, i use mine for hunting too. my dad actually dropped me off and i could hear him a ways away driving. what is your set up. motor, etc?

got a part number for that muffler? did you notice a decrease in performance?
When your hunting the ambient noise level is low, your gonna hear a stock rig drive away. And IME animals are not scared of vehicle noises, even is super remote areas.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Elton
24'' magnaflow muffler and maybe a 12'' glasspack before the muffler ?

Yeah my 24" magnaflow is suprisingly quiet.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the magnaflow on mine (22RE), and I agree: It's noisier than I'd like. It makes the truck sound like a ricer with a fart pipe on it.

I'd like to find a quieter solution as well. I already a have sport car that I accept as noisy. It would be nice to have a least one vehicle that I can actually hear the radio in. Plus the truck gets driven between cities a lot. Long trips with a noisy exhaust is no fun.

Last edited by InternetRoadkill; 10-24-2006 at 06:36 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-24-2006, 12:20 PM

Suggestion

I had the same problem only on a Mustang, I had a Flowmaster exhaust on it and it was just TOO loud... I went to a setup using DynoMaxs' SuperTurbo mufflers, they flow very well and make it substantially quieter. If you read up on them they flow just as good as many of the other mufflers but have a very low Db reading. When I do my exhaust setup I plan to go for one of these. Just my .02.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
The 60 series is about as quiet as your going to get for a high-flow muffler. I am suprised you think its loud, I have the same setup, but with a MT. Its so quiet, not stock quiet, but quiet.

One thing I did on my 95 to make it quiet, had a header, no cat, and flowmaster 50 series, was have a 12" glasspack put in. Cut the noise in half without restricting any flow.. huge difference. The 60 series is still much quieter than that. I cant even hear it cruising, and have to really get on it to make some noise, but thats not even much....

i hear a drone and it is annoying as heck. how exactly do i need to go about putting a glasspack in? never had much experience with that.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
well since you dont have a cat it well go where that cat should be
Old 10-24-2006, 01:59 PM

When your hunting the ambient noise level is low, your gonna hear a stock rig drive away. And IME animals are not scared of vehicle noises, even is super remote areas.

i understand that but i want it like it wsa before i put it on there. i really wish i would have kept the muffler i took off of it. i am kicking myself for that!!!
Old 10-24-2006, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Elton
well since you dont have a cat it well go where that cat should be
who are you talking to? i have a cat. (magnaflow)
Old 10-24-2006, 02:30 PM

i hear a drone and it is annoying as heck. how exactly do i need to go about putting a glasspack in? never had much experience with that.
I would have an exhaust shop put it in bewteen the cat and muffler, if you have room.

With a header you are going to be louder with any muffler. But if you want a super quiet on you are going to haveto forgo the high flow portion. The two just do not mix, noise is power, free-flow is noise.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:51 PM

I'm telling you, 06 Corvette muffler is the way to go.

Did I mention I had one for sale? ;-)
Old 10-24-2006, 05:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
post up some pics also shipping anit going to be cheap
Old 10-24-2006, 05:18 PM

I would have an exhaust shop put it in bewteen the cat and muffler, if you have room.

With a header you are going to be louder with any muffler. But if you want a super quiet on you are going to haveto forgo the high flow portion. The two just do not mix, noise is power, free-flow is noise.

i am going to look into that. is there a certain kind of glasspack i am going to need? part #, length, etc...
Old 10-24-2006, 07:12 PM
Banned

Hey sit back and reflect a minute. You have the best header ever made, a high flow cat, and a ricer muffler. If you went back to a stock muffler you might drop 5hp, if you can feel 5hp I'll kiss your ass on this forum with digital pics to prove it. If someone has a real dyno sheet to show that they got more than 5hp by switching to a highflow muffler on a 22re I'll retract my statement and will have to kiss someones ass. The point is you'll be happy with a stock muffler, trust me.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:43 AM

i am going to look into that. is there a certain kind of glasspack i am going to need? part #, length, etc...
THe shop that did mine had em in stock, 12" long and proper ID...

Bodo is right, when I had my 05 with downey header and stock muffler the torque was sick, but the mid range cruising was better with the flowmaster, and torque didnt die all that much.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by bodo
Hey sit back and reflect a minute. You have the best header ever made, a high flow cat, and a ricer muffler. If you went back to a stock muffler you might drop 5hp, if you can feel 5hp I'll kiss your ass on this forum with digital pics to prove it. If someone has a real dyno sheet to show that they got more than 5hp by switching to a highflow muffler on a 22re I'll retract my statement and will have to kiss someones ass. The point is you'll be happy with a stock muffler, trust me.
well put, i guess. lol

i am going to talk to my muffler guy and see about putting a stock replacement on there. after the headers and stock exhaust the 4runner had some pretty good pick up. after i put the FM60 on there, it felt like i lost some.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:11 AM

THe shop that did mine had em in stock, 12" long and proper ID...

Bodo is right, when I had my 05 with downey header and stock muffler the torque was sick, but the mid range cruising was better with the flowmaster, and torque didnt die all that much.

i will look into it today!! thanks man
Old 10-25-2006, 04:58 PM

Need help again with two choices??

Ok, my two choices are cutting off the FM 60 series and putting some kind of OZARK stock replacement on there for 60 bux installed or go with the glasspack between the cat and muffler. which would you all choose?

i have headers and a hi-flow cat so if i put the ozark muffler on there, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the headers? i feel like i may have lost a little bit of pep by putting the FM 60 on there. Maybe i lost too much backpressure. so this option "may" help???

then again, with the glasspack, how much would that quiet it down? i understand i would have the same flow but the whole back pressure thing has me puzzled. would it still have that drone??

What would you all do??? Thanks so much for ALL opinions!!!
Old 10-25-2006, 05:10 PM

No clue how the ozark would sound.. .but when I did the 12" glaspack the tone was the same at a lower volume... Personally I think that setup you have, which is what I have, sounds really good on a 22RE, not ricey at all... The drone isnt even noticible on mine at fwy speeds...
Old 10-25-2006, 05:35 PM

No clue how the ozark would sound.. .but when I did the 12" glaspack the tone was the same at a lower volume... Personally I think that setup you have, which is what I have, sounds really good on a 22RE, not ricey at all... The drone isnt even noticible on mine at fwy speeds...

they said the ozark one would put it back pretty close to stock.(supposedly)
Old 10-25-2006, 06:02 PM

they said the ozark one would put it back pretty close to stock.(supposedly)
Thats a guarentee then...

Quick Reply: Is there such thing as a "quiet" hi-flow muffler?