Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tall oil filter .vs. Small oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 01:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You either really know your sheet or you're an ace at google.

That's some good information you got there. When I was looking around and reading up on a larger filter there was very little interest on the forums so I had to look myself and do my own searching. It's a sound idea and one I'm glad to see getting more popular. I buy my oil at Walmart so using their filter (that I actually read decent things on at the time) is cheap and easy. It's definitely better than a fram, and even though construction was cited as cheap I still feel ok about using one.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ovrrdrive

That's some good information you got there. When I was looking around and reading up on a larger filter there was very little interest on the forums so I had to look myself and do my own searching. It's a sound idea and one I'm glad to see getting more popular. I buy my oil at Walmart so using their filter (that I actually read decent things on at the time) is cheap and easy. It's definitely better than a fram, and even though construction was cited as cheap I still feel ok about using one.
lol. Yeah, you caught me: a googling fool

I did a lot of reading on the subject a couple years ago, and this thread got me motivated to do a bunch more to see if I could figure out whether there was a better filter for my veezy than the YZZD1. At least now I know the Toyota filters have good synthetic media and more sq inches for a given size than the aftermarkets. The YZZD3 is looking like a great filter upgrade for the veezy, and I might give the Purolator PureONE PL20195 a try since it's supposed to filter out more, and finer, particles. Sounds like you 22re guys have more options.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ovrrdrive

I just noticed... when the hell did you sell your 95?!
Old 09-11-2009, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
I just noticed... when the hell did you sell your 95?!

I sold it a few weeks ago...

I had intended on selling it sometime next year but I had a buyer fall into my lap that had cash and paid more than what I thought I could sell it for unless I took forever to do it. I have a company truck that I drive during the week, and we drive the 4runner on the weekends so I was literally making myself drive the truck once every few weeks to heat cycle the oil. I actually had a few times where I didn't even crank it for over a month. As I bought it new I really feel lost without it sometimes, but the kid that bought it was really excited and is going to take the strong platform I gave him and fix it up to what I wanted it to be. I'll miss it but he'll love it like I used to...

What's sad is that the 4runner is going up for sale soon too. The wif wants an Avalanche so we're going to get her what she wants (I learned the hard way... ) and then after we get hers I'll probably go with an F250 for me ( I need to be able to pull my boat when she doesn't want to go fishing) . We both want to go full size, and the '95 just didn't fit in.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:14 PM

The problem with the oversized filters (ie big Ford filters) is that they take longer to prime. So when the system is dry, the time that it takes to fill the filter is longer which means more time for dry bearings to scuff up. If you pre-fill the filter before installation, and if the filter has a GOOD anti-drainback seal, you'll be fine. Or if the filter is in a vertical orientation (ie, open end up) it's fine as well.

That's why Toyota packs all that media into a small canister. With the 3vz filters pointing downwards, I'm not sure I'd put a gigantic filter on there, even if it fit.

I use the toyota v8 filters whenever they fit (22re, 5vz, vw, volvo, ford, etc). I don't keep v6 filters around at all.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:55 PM

Alright, after more ggling and ruminating...

Looks to me like the veezy won't support a wider filter: the mount is angled and the edge of it right next to the block. So probably the veezy choices will either be the compact size, (Toyota 90915-YZZD1 is the ONLY compact size with decent filtering area - 160 sq in - the compact Wix/NAPA and Purolator have 104 & 107, WAY LESS - making them very poor choices imo),

or, the tall narrow size:
Toyota 90915-YZZD3 (203 sq in, synthetic media)
Purolator PureONE PL20195 (213 sq in, synthetic media)
Wix 51516/Napa Gold FIL 1516 (178 sq in, paper & glass media)

I actually calculated the area of the Wix 51516 based on the dimensions and area of the compact 51348 (actually the identical Wix-made Napa ProSelect 21348). That has a filter height of 3.4", filter element height of 2" and area of 104 sq in. The 51516 is the same in all respects except it's 4.83" tall. So subtracting the same 1.4" for the case, baseplate, anti-drainback & bypass valves & end caps, that leaves room for a filter element height of 3.43", 1.715 times the compact, so, 1.715 x 104 = 178 sq in. That's only 18 sq in more than the compact Toyota filter.

I was surprised to learn that the Wix filtering efficiency is not that great, only 50% of 14 micron particles are trapped, and 95% of 31 micron particles. Compare that to the efficiency of the PureONE:

25 microns - 100%
20 microns - 99.9%
15 microns - 99.2%
10 microns - 92.8%
5 microns - 51.3%

That's even better than the Mobil 1 which is rated at 99.2% at 20 microns, and 50% at 10 microns.

I don't have figures for the Toyota filter, but I would expect the filter to be probably a little below the Mobil 1 figures.

The interesting thing is that despite having less filtering efficiency, the Mobil 1 filter has worse flow rates than the PureONE. Usually for the same media type (synthetic in this case), higher efficiency translates to worse flow. But the PureONE excels in both:

Name:  pi_filt_oil_gold_coldoil.gif
Views: 2654
Size:  15.8 KB
From this thread: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...1536020&page=1

Notice the difference in flow rates at 25psi for the Mobil 1 vs the PureONE: 3 gallons per minute vs 5. Wow.

I was surprised to find myself not liking the Wix/NAPA filter. I've always heard such good things about them, but they don't filter very well and their anti-drainback & bypass valve designs take up so much room that they have significantly less filtering area. The poorer filtering performance can be chalked up to its paper media: synthetic media tends to have more consistent pore size and flows better. I also don't at all like the fact that they use glass fibers in their filter media. It would seem inevitable that some of those would be loose or become dislodged during use, and can you think of a worse thing to have pouring into your bearings than glass??! Why would they use that, instead of a nice plastic synthetic media??

So for the veezy, I'm liking the Toyota 90915-YZZD3 and Purolator PureONE PL20195 filters. Both a nice step up from the stock Toyota 90915-YZZD1, although that's a very decent filter too. The YZZD3 gets the bang for the buck award, since 1sttoyotaparts sells them for $3.95, and you should be able to get a local dealer to sell you 10 of them for $40. Also, the Toyota is a bit shorter than the PureONE (it has the same clever, space-efficient design as its compact brother), so it will take a little less time to fill before oil starts circulating. However the PureONE probably does a significantly better job of filtration. (News flash: there's a rebate good til 9/30 which means you could get two PL20195s for $2.74 apiece, shipped, assuming you receive the rebate check )

For the 22re, it seems you guys have more choices. In addition to the compact size, it seems likely that the three larger filter sizes mentioned in my earlier posts would fit. There's the tall thin size listed above, and then there are the two wider filters. Of those, the short version doesn't offer any advantage in filtering area over the tall thin filters. But the tall wide ones do offer a lot more filtering area. The PureONE PL30001 has a whopping 400 sq in of highly-efficient filtering media. That would seem to be the ideal filter: very high filtering efficiency, and probably excellent flow and service life. The only downside of using such a large filter was pointed out by 86tuning: the first time you start the motor after installing it, it will take the oil pump probably at least 4 times as long (relative to the compact filter) to fill it before the oil starts circulating, and that's time your engine will be running without oil. That could be a very significant factor, unless you manage to fill it before installing (mess anyone?)

So maybe the best 22re filter choices will be the same as for the 3vze.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:03 AM

In my opinion if you run the engine to warm the oil before you change it (like you're supposed to) then there's enough oil in the engine to provide ample lubrication while the filter fills up. On my 4runner with the v8, the filter is on the bottom of the engine facing up at about a -45 degree angle so I usually fill it up about halfway just for good measure, but I honestly think even that's overkill.

When you find someone that's anal enough to care this much about a filter, chances are he's changing his oil often enough to keep the engine in good shape anyway. And that makes the filter he chooses to use even less important.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone used the Toyota 90915-20004 on their 5vze? From what I take it is the replacement for the Lexus V8 engines and the one put on at the Toyota factories in Japan on some vehicles inclidung 4Runner. From one of the links above they compared the disected Toyota filters and the 90915-20004 is way different, the media kinda looks like felt. My 1986 4runner 22re has always used the 90915-yzzd1 and also on my 1991 3vz as recomended by my mechanic and the dealer. I don't know what to use on the 1996 5vze 4runner and want to make a good choice, and think I will try the 90915-yzzd3 unless someone can confirm that the 90915-20004 would be a better choice. Also wondering if the larger filters will effect the oil pressure? If the biggerones cause a decrease in oil pressure I would think that the stock size filter would be the best choice? Also at one of the links provided here a survey indicaites that a huge majority use Toyota filters not the other stuff. I have about 6 of the yzzd1 filters new as that is what has been exclusivly used on the the 22re and the 3vze, maybe I will just use one of them for now untill I can sort all of this out, this is making me dizzy. Though I am most courious about the 90915-20004 after all it used in the Lexus.

Last edited by 86-91-4runners; 09-19-2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:50 PM

Mobil 1 vs K&N oil filter is like arguing Buick vs Olds. They're both the premium filter made by Champion Labs and they are virtually identical. The media may be slightly different; the Mobil 1 media is synthetic, efficient but a little less so than the Purolator PureONEs, and it does not flow as well as the PureONEs. I've never seen an analysis of the K&N media but such could probably be found on the BITOG forum. The K&N does have that handy nut welded on top...

Both the M1 and K&N are good filters but it seems from the available evidence that the PureONEs filter better and flow better. The better flow probably can be attributed to the greater filter media surface area.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by 86-91-4runners
Has anyone used the Toyota 90915-20004 on their 5vze? From what I take it is the replacement for the Lexus V8 engines and the one put on at the Toyota factories in Japan on some vehicles inclidung 4Runner. From one of the links above they compared the disected Toyota filters and the 90915-20004 is way different, the media kinda looks like felt. My 1986 4runner 22re has always used the 90915-yzzd1 and also on my 1991 3vz as recomended by my mechanic and the dealer. I don't know what to use on the 1996 5vze 4runner and want to make a good choice, and think I will try the 90915-yzzd3 unless someone can confirm that the 90915-20004 would be a better choice. Also wondering if the larger filters will effect the oil pressure? If the biggerones cause a decrease in oil pressure I would think that the stock size filter would be the best choice? Also at one of the links provided here a survey indicaites that a huge majority use Toyota filters not the other stuff. I have about 6 of the yzzd1 filters new as that is what has been exclusivly used on the the 22re and the 3vze, maybe I will just use one of them for now untill I can sort all of this out, this is making me dizzy. Though I am most courious about the 90915-20004 after all it used in the Lexus.
The 90915-20004 is apparently one of the few Denso filters still being made in Japan. As you mentioned, it has an unusual depth filter media design:

from: http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/par...ter/index.html

I think it comes stock on Lexus V8s. I can't find any performance tests of it, so what we have to go on is just our belief in the cleverness of Toyota engineers and belief that they would use a good filter on a new Lexus.

They are apparently available from Carson Lexus in LA for $15 a pop:
http://l-tunedparts.com/product/index.php?id=2217

I think I would just go with the PureONE PL20195 myself, or possibly the huge PL30001 if it fit and I could find a way to prime it.

Oil filters are upstream of the oil pressure gauge (and all the parts needing lubrication); if the filter was small and restrictive it would cause oil pressure to go down, not up. You want your filter to have as little restriction as possible.

Last edited by sb5walker; 09-30-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I'l stick with my tundra v8 filters
Old 09-30-2009, 04:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the 20004 is what i used to put on my LS400. i always get filters from toyota. it's pretty much the only thing i consistently buy from a dealer, no matter what make. why would i get anything else? to save $2?
Old 09-30-2009, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
I'l stick with my tundra v8 filters
x2 haha.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:23 AM

Napa gold 1516.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
part numbers?im interested in this!

Mighty Autoparts M1

Fram is PH1, i think.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:17 PM

Thanks for all the posts everyone. While recently under my "T" I looked at the filter and it doesn't look like a wider diameter(V8 style) filter will fit .
So I may try the longer one that is the same diameter as stock.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by 8lugnuts
Thanks for all the posts everyone. While recently under my "T" I looked at the filter and it doesn't look like a wider diameter(V8 style) filter will fit .
So I may try the longer one that is the same diameter as stock.
If you go to the dealer for it, D1 is the normal size and the D3 are the V8 ones.

They are the same price. Retail is like 5.41 but you could try talkin em down.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:19 AM

Taller Size Filter Roundup

I agree the taller filter with stock width is probably the best filter, all around, for both the 22re and 3vze.

For folks who insist on using the stock compact size filter (90915-YZZD1), the Toyota filter is the only one to use, unless you hate your truck and want to destroy the engine. The reason is that only the clever design of the Toyota compact filter gives decent filtering area (160 sq in). ALL of the other compact filters have MUCH less, most of them in the 104-110 sq in range. Less filtering area means less flow and quicker clogging. Once clogged, oil will flow through the bypass valve, and that means not only will the oil not be filtered, but because most filters have the bypass valve at the top, the bypassing oil will flow along the filter pleats, washing many of the particles previously filtered right back into the engine.

The taller Toyota filter is the 90915-YZZD3 and it has the same clever design as its compact brother, giving it 203 sq in. which is 27% more filtering area than the compact. That should translate to better oil flow and longer service life. Its height is just under 4", vs 3.38" for the compact. That makes the D3 the shortest of the "taller" filters, but again, because of its clever design, its filtering area is actually greater than most of the aftermarkets. And because it is shorter, it will take less time to fill up with oil at first start up. To me, there is no reason any of us should use the D1 since the D3 gives more filtering area for the same price ($3.95 at 1sttoyotaparts.com; local dealers should sell you 10 for $40 or close to it).

If you prefer an aftermarket filter of the taller size, just look up the filter for a Ford 3.8L V6. Easiest is to search on a 2001 Ford Windstar, since it only came with the 3.8 that year. (Sometimes Windstars are listed under "Ford" and sometimes under "Ford Trucks".) Be aware that this taller size is considered a "Ford" filter and therefore uses Ford bypass valve specs, which are around 8 psi. As best I can determine, the Toyota bypass valve spec is around 14-15 psi, so that's a significant difference. It means that the toyota filters will fight to keep filtering, even though they suffer a decrease in flow, whereas the taller aftermarkets will tolerate less backpressure before oil flows through bypass.

Actually, the point at which a given filter will begin to bypass (in other words, exceeded its service life) depends on a number of factors, mainly: filtering area, filtering efficiency (how small are the holes in the mesh) and filter media type (paper, synthetic or a blend - synthetic fibers tend to be thinner and more uniform, allowing significantly more flow at a given efficiency). All other factors being equal, a filter with more area will go longer before clogging than a smaller filter, which is why I think it makes sense to use the taller filters.

Here are some thoughts on a few of the taller size filters:

Toyota 90915-YZZD3: height 3.95", area 203 sq in, synthetic media. Bypass setting apparently 14-15 psi. Great filter, and a huge bargain at $4. Couldn't find any efficiency data, but with synthetic media it probably has good efficiency and excellent flow.

Purolator PureONE PL20195: height 4.74", area 213 sq in, synthetic blend media. Bypass setting 12-15 psi. The highest efficiency rating of any filter I found. Filters 92.8% of 10 micron particles, and amazingly traps 51.3% of 5 micron particles and 100% at 25 microns. For all that filtering, its flow figures are much higher than for a Mobil 1 filter (see post 48 above). An excellent filter at a reasonable price.

Wix 51516/Napa Gold FIL 1516: height 4.83", area only 178 sq in (barely more than the compact toyota D1), paper & glass media. Bypass setting 8-11 psi. The efficiency of the Wix/Napa is not very good: they don't even give figures at 10 microns, but they only trap 50% of 14 micron particles, and 95% of 31 micron particles. Plus the media contains glass fibers, which I don't like nor trust. I've always heard good things about Wix filters, but I'm afraid the data does not back up that view. They may have good quality control, but their performance is not very good.

Mobil 1 M1-209/K&N HP-2009: couldn't find size specs, but probably near the PureONE. Area for Mobil 1 & K&N filters are usually a bit better than Wix/Napa but less than the PureONEs. I'd guess around 200 sq in for this size. These filters are both manufactured by Champion Labs (their "performance" design) and are nearly identical, only the media is different (Mobil 1 uses synthetic blend; K&N is resin-impregnated cellulose). The Mobil 1 efficiency is 99.2% at 20 microns, and 50% at 10 microns - better than the Wix/Napa, but worse than the PureONE. Flow data for the Mobil 1 is MUCH WORSE than the PureONE - see post 48 I couldn't find exact efficiency specs for the K&N, but according to the Sands Museum, the Mobil 1 is a "12 micron" filter while the K&N is a "15-20 micron" filter and "flows better". Because these filters are so expensive, imo there's no good reason to buy them. The PureONEs filter much better, flow much better (than the Mobil 1, at least), and are cheaper.

Fram/Penzoil: every single study of oil filters has clearly shown that these filters are garbage. Only use them if you hate your truck and want to destroy your engine.

Walmart Supertech/STP/AC Duraguard: these are all the economy "Ecore" design by Champion Labs. They are cheaply made and poor performing. The endcaps are thin felt and easily separate from the pleats, allowing oil to bypass the filter. Their media is cheap paper and they don't even dare publish efficiency specs for it. Filtering area is close to but just a bit better than the Wix/Napa filters for most sizes. With the excellent Toyota D3 available for close to $4, it makes no sense to use any of the Ecores, imo.

Amsoil: This year, following a bunch of complaints that their EaO filters clogged early and caused the oil pressure warning light to come on in Toyota vehicles, they released two TSBs recommending that their filters not be used in toyotas. They blamed the "bad design" of toyota engines for the problem, saying they produced more particles. However if their bypass valves worked at the proper pressure, the oil light should never come on, even if the filter is totally clogged and is just bypassing:
http://www.amsoil.com/tsb/mo-2005-08...udgeissues.pdf
http://www.amsoil.com/techservicesbu...o%20toyota.pdf Info on the bobistheoilguy forum has shown the EaO filters to leave more contaminants behind in the oil than Mobil 1 filters do. Whether this is due to less efficiency or clogged filters that are bypassing, IDK. One factor possibly leading to the problems is that the EaO has a coil spring bypass valve design similar to the Wix, so filtering area in the compact size (the EAO10, I believe) was probably poor, and that combined with the higher efficiency (tighter mesh) probably led to the clogging problems. No excuse for the bypass valve not working, tho. It's possible the taller size EAO34 would work okay, but AMSOIL doesn't recommend it. Anyway, the EAOs are crazy expensive; not worth the risk imo.

AMSOIL now recommends the Mann ML1003 (compact size) for our engines. Mann is a German company, IDK where the filters are made, but they have paper media (efficiency probably similar to Wix - ie, not great) and they apparently have quality construction. If you want to try a Mann filter, use the taller size which is the ML1005. (But they are more expensive than the Toyota D3 and almost certainly perform worse.)

Fleetguard LF3339: Made by Cummins. Height 4.5", bypass valve setting 8 psi. Paper media, quality construction. Probably similar to the Mann with the same problem of being more expensive and probably less-performing than the D3.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, my choice would be the Toyota D3 or Purolator PureONE PL20195.

Last edited by sb5walker; 03-06-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:51 PM

I used to use the 90915-20004 a few years ago. I did a search and it is now renumbered as the 90915-YZZD3:
http://lexuspartsonline.com/index2.h...&siteid=214281 (See left center).

I can't remember why I didn't switch to the D3...hmmm. Currently using the D1, but after reading this might switch back to the larger. A little extra oil capacity never hurt anything.

I wouldn't worry about the filters clogging. If Toyota designed them to go for a certain mileage/duration I wouldn't be concerned. If you filter IS getting clogged everytime, your filter will be the least of your concerns. An engine rebuilder would be primary.

sb5walker: I used that Supra sight to turn me onto the -20004!
Old 10-29-2009, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Toyo4x4
I used to use the 90915-20004 a few years ago. I did a search and it is now renumbered as the 90915-YZZD3:
They weren't renumbered - they are very different filters. The 20004 is a depth filter made by Denso in Japan, while the D1 & D3 are more traditional style accordion-pleated filters made in Thailand that are good filters, but not of the same quality as the Japanese-made Densos. See post 53 above.

I wouldn't worry about the filters clogging. If Toyota designed them to go for a certain mileage/duration I wouldn't be concerned. If you filter IS getting clogged everytime, your filter will be the least of your concerns. An engine rebuilder would be primary.
Yeah, probably no need to worry about clogging either of the Toyota filters in normal service intervals, unless something drastic going on with the engine. The warning is for aftermarket filters in the compact size, which have very significantly less filter media area and I WOULD worry about them - the Amsoil in fact was obstructing flow so bad that people's oil lights were coming on.

Last edited by sb5walker; 10-29-2009 at 05:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Tall oil filter .vs. Small oil filter