Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Sweet!!!!! Dual Cases

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking All done!!

Well I'm finally all done with everything, just gotta grease up the front driveshaft and get it in there. Everything works great and it crawls like a Turtle!! I'll post a video of it crawlin later. Oh, and forget buyin a shifter boot from Marlin for 55+ bucks, got this boot and trim from Kragen for $10!! I think it looks real good.

Oh and one more thing, big thanks to Driveline Service of West Sacramento, I'm very impressed with their service, and did a great job with the rear shaft! I'd recommend them highly to people in the area.

Just for the heck of it... doors back on and ready to drive back down to Vegas!!!!

Last edited by 89silverpu; 08-17-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:43 PM

That setup looks sweet! Can't wait to see the vid!
Old 08-17-2009, 01:42 PM

sweet
Old 08-17-2009, 03:45 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
square driveline?
That's just weird..
Old 08-17-2009, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by 93YotaGuy
That setup looks sweet! Can't wait to see the vid!
Originally Posted by fitzman62
sweet
Thanks guys, I'll get the video up tomorrow!

Originally Posted by peow130
square driveline?
That's just weird..
Yup, I made it myself, $30 as opposed to $200 to get the stock one lengthened. It doesn't matter if it's balanced cause it's only used in 4WD and I have manual locking hubs so it doesn't move in 2WD
Old 08-17-2009, 08:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice work. I'll be curious to see how you like the xmember you got. I hated mine. Hung down as low as my gas tank and hit on everything. So, I got rid of it and moved stuff up:

Old 08-17-2009, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
Nice work. I'll be curious to see how you like the xmember you got. I hated mine. Hung down as low as my gas tank and hit on everything. So, I got rid of it and moved stuff up:

I've had the crossmember on there with a single case for the whole summer mostly, and I actually love it...it's way better than the stock one at least, and yeah I slid across it a couple times this summer, but eh that happens and it was built to take it. We'll see, I'm not gunna be doin anything major to the truck now for a long time

You have a body lift for a drivetrain lift?

Last edited by 89silverpu; 08-17-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:19 AM
Contributing Member

No body lift. Trying to keep COG as low as possible. I have a sawzall/welder lift:

Old 08-18-2009, 11:22 AM

No body lift. Trying to keep COG as low as possible. I have a sawzall/welder lift:

Damn, that's sweet! Nice work!

So I ran into a problem puttin my front driveshaft in, the stock CV joint I used for the front hits the crawl box I think I'll have to get triple drilled flanges for the t case and the front diff and flip the shaft.

What have people with this setup done? Did you have the joint chaned, or did you flip it? I don't wanna have to make a new shaft so I think I'll just flip it with the triple drilled flanges cause cause the ends are two different size bolt patters which is weird.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:38 AM
Contributing Member

Be careful here.

The way a CV joint works is that it does not change angular velocity through the joint, no matter what angle you are at. The U-joint on the other end of the shaft, however, does change angular velocity.

If you flip the shaft, you must make sure that your u-joint has zero angle to it. I doubt that will be possible with your set up, but we'll see.

If your angular velocity is not conserved throughout the driveshaft, you'll get pretty bad driveline vibrations. Granted, you are only using this shaft offroad, but its still not good on the bearings.

Mine was close to the adapter, not the crawl box. I just used a grinder to trim about 1/16" to 1/8" off the side, and it was perfect.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:31 PM

Be careful here.

The way a CV joint works is that it does not change angular velocity through the joint, no matter what angle you are at. The U-joint on the other end of the shaft, however, does change angular velocity.

If you flip the shaft, you must make sure that your u-joint has zero angle to it. I doubt that will be possible with your set up, but we'll see.

If your angular velocity is not conserved throughout the driveshaft, you'll get pretty bad driveline vibrations. Granted, you are only using this shaft offroad, but its still not good on the bearings.

Mine was close to the adapter, not the crawl box. I just used a grinder to trim about 1/16" to 1/8" off the side, and it was perfect.
Ah yeah that's what I meant, the adapter, I'll look into grinding some off. On the rear I don't have a CV joint and there's no vibration that I can tell, I would probably be able to notice if there was a problem right? I'm about to make a 600 mile trip down to Vegas in two days.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:36 PM

Thanks to your advice Ike, I ground down the adapter and now I have a front driveshaft!! Thanks for the help!
Old 08-18-2009, 08:43 PM
Contributing Member

Drivetrain vibration sounds like noise coming from the transfercases themselves. Bad vibrations will sound like your tcase is about to blow up, and a very mild vibration will sound like a very soft gear chatter.

I've never seen anyone who hasn't had chatter with a one piece rear shaft and dual cases, but I've only seen a few. If you don't have any vibes, that is awesome, and count your self lucky.

Cheers!
Old 08-18-2009, 08:54 PM

Drivetrain vibration sounds like noise coming from the transfercases themselves. Bad vibrations will sound like your tcase is about to blow up, and a very mild vibration will sound like a very soft gear chatter.

I've never seen anyone who hasn't had chatter with a one piece rear shaft and dual cases, but I've only seen a few. If you don't have any vibes, that is awesome, and count your self lucky.

Cheers!
hmmmm....Yeah I was on the freeway goin 70 and didn't hear anything....would I hear the vibrations only when on the gas or would it also vibrate when I let off the gas goin 70?

How would people with a 4 inch lift and no drivshaft modifications get away with it then? Sorry for all these questions, this driveshaft thing is new to me Thanks for the help!
Old 08-19-2009, 07:45 AM
Contributing Member

Sounds like you don't have anything then. The sounds usually are there all the time, but sound worse when coasting.

People with a 4 inch lift don't always get away with it, but do some of the time because with a u-joint shaft, when they lift the drivetrain away from the axle, they often change both the upper and lower angles the same amount, which means that both U-joints are at the same angle, and hence, no change in angular velocity through the shaft. Angles cancel.

With the duals, you're changing your upper angle more than the lower in most cases, and vibrations ensue. Sounds like you got lucky with your set up and things worked out nicely so that you changed both by the same amount.

That is awesome!
Old 08-19-2009, 10:39 AM

Video

Here's the video I promised the other day. Overall it is 100:1 and I just had to "walk the crawler"

Old 08-19-2009, 10:48 AM

Sounds like you don't have anything then. The sounds usually are there all the time, but sound worse when coasting.

People with a 4 inch lift don't always get away with it, but do some of the time because with a u-joint shaft, when they lift the drivetrain away from the axle, they often change both the upper and lower angles the same amount, which means that both U-joints are at the same angle, and hence, no change in angular velocity through the shaft. Angles cancel.

With the duals, you're changing your upper angle more than the lower in most cases, and vibrations ensue. Sounds like you got lucky with your set up and things worked out nicely so that you changed both by the same amount.

That is awesome!
Awesome! that's a good thing to hear to keep my mind at rest while drivin thank you! When I measured for the shaft, I measured the distance from the top of the t case flange to the top of the third flange and from the bottom to the bottom as well, they were the same measure. I cant remember what my stock third member looked like, but the TRD v6 third may have had somethin to do with it as well? Maybe more of an angle or somethin idk?

Thanks for all the help! I remember you answered some questions a while ago for me when I was curious about puttin two stock cases together as well.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 89silverpu
Here's the video I promised the other day. Overall it is 100:1 and I just had to "walk the crawler"

Nice vid!

Now, pony up for those 4.7's...200:1 is even cooler!
Old 08-19-2009, 12:00 PM

Nice vid!

Now, pony up for those 4.7's...200:1 is even cooler!
Stop it!!! haha I'm trying not to think I need those right now and it's not working very well lol maybe next summer I can get some ahhhh but I need to save my money to chop the front end off lol oh well we'll see
Old 08-19-2009, 04:36 PM
BMC

That turned out pretty sweet man. I definetly have to admit im a little jealous. Time to through some duals in the runner.

Quick Reply: Sweet!!!!! Dual Cases