Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Sweet!!!!! Dual Cases

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 04:02 PM
BMC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 89silverpu
Well after wrestling my transmission all of this morning, I finally have the beast laying in my garage floor. I've got a leak somewhere, I though it was the transmission so I got a new seal for it, but I think I may have a rear main seal leak as well....how much of a pita is that? The more I think about it the more I figure I might as well replace that while I'm in there...

Hey bro if you need any help with the install let me know.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:18 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Damn luckys with your gear driven cases

Old 08-10-2009, 05:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Dual cases....... drooooooool.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by BMC
Hey bro if you need any help with the install let me know.
Thanks, I may take you up on that...I've gotta put this beast back up there after it's all assembled and a second set of hands is always a good thing. When that time comes around I'll let ya know, the plan is to test it out up at Bob's this sunday!!!
Old 08-11-2009, 03:12 PM

Well, I ripped apart my transfer case this morning and got all the parts used ready to go back in and welded the provided key stock onto the shift rail so all I need to do now is put it together. I should be able to have the crawl box assembled tonight and have the cases mated to the transmission tonight as well so the gasket material can cure.

Just to make it easier on myself, does anyone have the measurement of where to cut the second shifter hole? Like from the center of the stock shifter to the rear case shifter? It would have to from an 89-95...

Here's a picture of the mess, I'm not very organized

Old 08-11-2009, 03:25 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
whoa, sick stuff man!

good luck to get er done
Old 08-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 89silverpu
Just to make it easier on myself, does anyone have the measurement of where to cut the second shifter hole? Like from the center of the stock shifter to the rear case shifter? It would have to from an 89-95...
Shouldn't matter on the year since you are adding the same amount as everyone else.

Mine was 6.5" center to center on the shifter assy.

I then measured my shifter throw, and then cut a hole big enough to accommodate that
Old 08-11-2009, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by 874runnersr5
whoa, sick stuff man!

good luck to get er done
Thanks!

So I got it all put together and even replaced the transmission front seal. Tomorrow I'm gunna try and put everything up in place...question about that...do you guys recommend puttin it all together on the ground then putting it up as one big thing..transmission/dual cases together...or seperate...put the transmission up then put the cases up afterwards. Seems like one big thing would be really awkward

here's a couple pictures...

Oh, and I got a new steering wheel

Old 08-11-2009, 08:52 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
put the Transmission in first than do your cases..
easier IMO

Also clean that junk up a little better before you stick it back up there, looks like a craigslist deal:Hillbill:
Old 08-11-2009, 10:08 PM

i cant wait to get my dual cases
Old 08-11-2009, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
Also clean that junk up a little better before you stick it back up there, looks like a craigslist deal:Hillbill:
haha I know I'm plannin on it
Old 08-12-2009, 07:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
AH! I hadn't realized that you have a forward shift case...My mistake...Obviously that's different than the 6.5" I posted...Hopefully someone else will be able to give you a dimension.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
AH! I hadn't realized that you have a forward shift case...My mistake...Obviously that's different than the 6.5" I posted...Hopefully someone else will be able to give you a dimension.
Yeah, forward shift I think is something like 11 inches....I can figure it out myself when I put them in, but I just figured I'd ask

I started a new thread askin for help on this, but does anyone know if this could be causing my leak? And what is it?

Right above the clutch etc...

Old 08-13-2009, 07:39 PM

Well, I got them all put up in the truck tonight. I couldn't have done it without Bryan's (BMC) help. I just put them all up at once, transmission, cases and all. It was actually really easy with the transmission jack that I borrowed, It only took about 10-15 mins of wiggling and lining up. Tomorrow I'll hook the starter up and cut the hole for the rear case shifter and take my rear shaft in to get shortened and I'll get some pictures of everything up.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:53 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Hey man that plate has coolant running thru it not oil , your leak looks like its coming from the valve cover or the half moon . which is better for you because its easier to fix than that plate . I think ..

Old 08-13-2009, 08:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RMA
Hey man that plate has coolant running thru it not oil , your leak looks like its coming from the valve cover or the half moon . which is better for you because its easier to fix than that plate . I think ..

X2...that's my call too. Easy fix.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by malteserunner
X2...that's my call too. Easy fix.
I'm pretty sure you are both wrong. There is exhaust gas going through that plate on its way to the EGR, and coolant on the back side of the plate.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:40 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by hodgepodge79
I'm pretty sure you are both wrong. There is exhaust gas going through that plate on its way to the EGR, and coolant on the back side of the plate.
well thats what I meant .

any way here are some pics I just took
Attached Thumbnails Sweet!!!!! Dual Cases-100_8830.jpg   Sweet!!!!! Dual Cases-100_8831.jpg  
Old 08-14-2009, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by RMA

So, to fix the valve cover leak, just take off the valve cover and put a new gasket on it? Easy as that? And what is a "half moon"?
Old 08-14-2009, 06:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hodgepodge79
Well, I think I'm right, but I should have been more clear by saying I also believe the oil leak is coming from the half moon on the valve cover. Nothing wrong with a little constructive criticism though.

The "half moon" we are referring to is the rubber piece that goes between the valve cover gasket and the head on the back side. There's also one in front so you can see what we are talking about. And, yes, pull the valve cover, then reseal or replace that piece and you should be good to go.

Last edited by malteserunner; 08-14-2009 at 06:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Sweet!!!!! Dual Cases