Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

strange washer on engine head?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, thanks all for your insight.

An aftermarket head huh? Would there be a vin# stamped on it anywhere if it was stock?

so what are the top few reasons to replace a head?

dare i ask...
Old 11-10-2011, 06:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Overheated and warped or cracked is the most common reason to replace it.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:15 PM

Well it was from California. A lot warmer out there than here in new york state, and the radiator has a nice split in the top thats been epoxy welded back together...

If the head was replaced - anything else likely or possibly compromised? Pistons, rings?

I'm real curious now...

Last edited by kirkerik; 11-10-2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:35 PM

Maybe a compression test is in order...
Old 11-10-2011, 06:47 PM

How does it run? Anything out of the ordinary?
Old 11-10-2011, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by kirkerik
Well it was from California. A lot warmer out there than here in new york state, and the radiator has a nice split in the top thats been epoxy welded back together...

If the head was replaced - anything else likely or possibly compromised? Pistons, rings?

I'm real curious now...
Chances are the pistons and rings are OK. Most people get away with decking the head and putting it back on and maybe throw some new bearings in. All heads warp under normal operating condition but these heads tend to do it more. The block holds up real well and my machinist hardly decks them unless they are pitted. I've rebuilt 2 of these recently and neither needed decking of the block.
Your radiator is toasted, throw another in before it leaves you stranded or destroys the motor. Get the Ebay radiators if you are on a budget, they work just fine. I think I paid $80 or so for mine. I put one in my commuter Civic and it has held up for 80K miles, not bad for $35 shipped!
Old 11-10-2011, 08:06 PM

wow this is very interesting. . . . . a 22re with a head replacement at 90k is like blasphemy. . . . . . . . sorry i have nothing real to contribute, except make sure it is a toyota casting. . . . . if aftermarket, who knows on the alloy, heating/cooling procedure etc.

wait till it blows and put one on from 22reperformance. sorry i cant afford one so i have to push other people to fullfill my dreams lol
Old 11-13-2011, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by 85TurboRunner
How does it run? Anything out of the ordinary?
well, it was idling a little rough yet running fine. I did some seafoam treatment and the idle has calmed down and it seems to pull better now.

from above:
"I reconnected the EGR valve and it runs better...come to think of it i bet that is why it had a bad exhaust flange gasket. i fixed that too! It looked like someone just used the old one and smashed it together out of alignment."

Whoever did the head neglected to finish (reconnect) the EGR and use new gaskets at the exhaust flange. It runs better now because the disconnected EGR created a vacuum leak before and i have installed new flange gaskets.

Considering the sloppy job on the EGR and exhaust flange it makes me wonder how well the rest of the job (head) was done.

BTW: I will likely remove the EGR system at some point considering what they dump in to the plenum and intake.

Last edited by kirkerik; 11-13-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by hnugen
Chances are the pistons and rings are OK. Most people get away with decking the head and putting it back on and maybe throw some new bearings in. All heads warp under normal operating condition but these heads tend to do it more. The block holds up real well and my machinist hardly decks them unless they are pitted. I've rebuilt 2 of these recently and neither needed decking of the block.
Your radiator is toasted, throw another in before it leaves you stranded or destroys the motor. Get the Ebay radiators if you are on a budget, they work just fine. I think I paid $80 or so for mine. I put one in my commuter Civic and it has held up for 80K miles, not bad for $35 shipped!
Good to hear the block pistons and rings are likely alright! It does seem to be running better now. A compression test will give me an idea about the condition of the rings and how well done the head job was.

Yeah - I'm not going to take a chance w/ the radiator for long. I have one sitting in the shed ready to go! Something interesting though about that.

The radiator in the truck now (seeping) is a copper/brass 2 core. Is that stock for a Cal. 22RE 4WD 5spd?

Last edited by kirkerik; 11-13-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by 92dlxman
wow this is very interesting. . . . . a 22re with a head replacement at 90k is like blasphemy. . . . . . . . sorry i have nothing real to contribute, except make sure it is a toyota casting. . . . . if aftermarket, who knows on the alloy, heating/cooling procedure etc.

wait till it blows and put one on from 22reperformance. sorry i cant afford one so i have to push other people to fullfill my dreams lol
Yeah! 90K and a new head? So these heads are prone to warpage, huh?

How do i tell if it's a toyota casting?