Sponsored by: DashLynx

Straight piped...engine damage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 07:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sorry matt... but where's the proof?
Old 10-23-2008, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It can warp the valves if there is no header...but my valves I'm pretty sure aren't glowing hot. Lets prove it. I'll keep my truck this way for a month or so and if it warps...then we'll see won't we???

There is no raping apes here...JK! Haha! No its loud...extremely loud! But kinda fun too.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:58 PM

I knew it...the glass pack is like the cherry bomb red thing I see all the time at knechts...look like I'll be picking that sucker up! haha! Wonder how much it costs? Hmmm
Old 10-23-2008, 08:12 PM

I ran glasspacks on my VW's for a while... a 12 inch just ahead of the rear axle, then an 18" mounted backwards just before the cute tailpipe everyone saw.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:16 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
they are like 20bucks
Old 10-23-2008, 10:01 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just weld pipe in place of your muffler, or route it into infront of your rear tire nascar style.. Or cut a hole in your bed side and shoot it out that, looks neat.. 22R strait pipes sound REEEEEEEEE-TARDED... But I wouldn't mind running one.. Everyones a little redneck..
Old 10-23-2008, 10:14 PM

lol you're not going to burn/suck a valve from chopping off your muffler.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:18 PM
Banned

You COULD burn a valve, OR warp one if say you ran open header and got the engine to operating temps and parked it when say it was.. Like ten degree's outside and the rapid cooling could easily get to the valves from your open header and warp the hell out of them.. It happened to me, but It happened on a 12 Horsepower Racing Lawnmower with sidepipes.. Yeah I said it. Sidepipes on a lawnmower.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chrisbnaz
lol you're not going to burn/suck a valve from chopping off your muffler.
Hey man I see your from Mesa Town.. You a fan of Authority Zero? I wish I lived there man..
Old 10-23-2008, 10:19 PM

You know how I know you're from kansas?

You race lawn mowers.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Trustyrusty
Hey man I see your from Mesa Town.. You a fan of Authority Zero? I wish I lived there man..
AZ is one of my faves actually, was listening to them earlier.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
sorry matt... but where's the proof?
Well I'm not going to try it if that's what you mean.

I heard this from an old engineer who has more mechanical experience than probably anyone I've ever met. Drives an old Series Land Rover. That's as close as your going to get for proof, but the logic is sound.

Google it, here's the first hit:
http://forums.off-road.com/toyota-su...nt-valves.html
Old 10-24-2008, 08:35 AM

Matt16, my pops who is an ex-toyo mechanic told me the same thing (I ran my truck with just the LC header on the way to Flowmaster)
Shut your engine off, there isnt enough pipe to warm up the cold air, it rushes back in, hits those hot hot valves with freezing cold air, BAM, warp.
Didnt happen to me though, lol

Dont run a 22RE Straight piped. Sounds like a crop duster, not to mention you lose horsepower due to backpressure.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:43 AM

When I bought my truck the exhaust ended about right under my seat. I think the rest of it fell off lol. There was no cat, a muffler, and then it ended. It was annoyingly loud. I couldn't talk on my cell phone. Now I have a Cherry Bomb muffler and tail pipe coming out from that and it's nice and quiet unless I wind it out.

Rob
Old 10-24-2008, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by rusche
Matt16, my pops who is an ex-toyo mechanic told me the same thing (I ran my truck with just the LC header on the way to Flowmaster)
Shut your engine off, there isnt enough pipe to warm up the cold air, it rushes back in, hits those hot hot valves with freezing cold air, BAM, warp.

Dont run a 22RE Straight piped. Sounds like a crop duster, not to mention you lose horsepower due to backpressure.
Haha..take that Abe.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt16
Running the engine without an exhaust manifold the cold air can warp the valves after you shut the engine off.

i agree that not running one could be bad.. but who said anything about not running a manifold/header?? that would be just plain stupid!
Old 10-24-2008, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by abecedarian
I wouldn't worry so much about burning valves as I would worry about killing backpressure which the engine needs some of. I'd suggest for a stock upgrade, the stock manifold and down pipe, 2.25" pipe to a decent, appropriately sized muffler and 2 or 2.25" pipe out the side.

Otherwise, things are kind of hard to describe, but let's go with this:
Backpressure helps the exhaust pulse from one cylinder create a negative pressure in the system which helps 'suck' the exhaust gasses from the next cylinder.
No backpressure won't hurt the engine, but could hurt the power output.
That's why headers were developed and why there are different designs for our 4 bangers: 4-4, 4-1, 4-2-1. Each header type has a particular RPM range it works best in. 4-4 would be an all out wide open throttle drag engine, 4-1 is for a mid-high rpm engine, 4-2-1 is best suited for a mid rpm engine.

Guess what? Your stock 22re has, from the factory, a 4-2-1 exhaust, but the pipe diameters aren't the optimum size for max power.
Maybe this will kill the backpressure myth .

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_pr...torquemyth.htm
Old 10-24-2008, 02:05 PM

Okay...truck is even slower now! I'm going to get one of those $20 red flow through mufflers and slap it on! It gave me a head ache and does sound like a tractor/crop duster. haha...but I've scared so many people already...fun
Old 10-24-2008, 05:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
I chopped my exhaust off last year behind the cat and just put a 90 on it and stuck it out in front of the rear tire...

It was cool and fun for all of 2 days, then I got sick of hearing it (you described it perfect as sounding like a tractor, especially at low RPMs, lol), threw a cheap Dynomax on it, and now it sounds completely stock, other than the leak at my manifold/downpipe...

It did feel like there was less power, but I'd contribute that to the 33" boggers that I threw on for a week at the same time

My plans are the same; chop off the old system before the cat, add a little piping, but I'll probably install a turbo muffler instead of a cherry bomb or glass pack, that way it'll tone it down a good bit unless I really step on it, and probably just pipe it out in almost the same spot in front of the tire...

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 10-25-2008 at 06:43 AM.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by rusche

Originally Posted by Matt16
Haha..take that Abe.
nothing to take. read your link-a few people saying it can happen and no proof.

Quick Reply: Straight piped...engine damage?