Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Sputter sputter SUPER FAST ACCELERATION

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 11:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had the same problem on my 84 22r i changed the fuel filter and it went away. also it oly seemed to happen on cold mornings, once it warmed up it went away.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:44 AM

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
Ah, same issue here, and it's driving me nuts. But I'm pretty sure of the reason in my case. Mine only started doing this after I had water over the hood and sucked some muddy water into the AFM (K'N filters filter air great, but not so much water, lol). I tried to clean it and dry it out to the best I could, but about a day later while driving it, I started noticing the same symptoms you guys are; starts fine, and actually runs fine on first startup and running, but if you let it warm up, shut it off, then start it again a bit later, it'll run fine for a bit, then when you try to go anywhere, under partial throttle it spits and sputters and has no power until about 2,500-3,000 RPM, and them WHAM, it's like horrible turbo lag, lol. Under full throttle, it runs fine though. In my case, I'm pretty sure my AFM is toast, and it's been burning a lot more gas than it did before, so it's been running rich too. This all happened about 4 months ago, so it's been running rich for that long and I've just been dealing with it. Chances are my O2 sensor is shot now because of the rich running, but I'm replacing that with the exhaust upgrade soon anyway. Not until I put in a good working AFM, which is on it's way right now (I love eBay). Both of these parts are the originals as far as I can tell, and if that's the case, they have 284k miles on them, lol. I'll let you guys know how it woks out; if it helps at all.
thats interesting, because mine only happens when i have been driving in wet conditions, and I only mean like a wet highway. my runner is my dd, and hasn't been wheeled, so i know no huge gulp of water has gone through my afm, which has been swapped with a known used good one, and the problems i have experienced did not change at all even after swapping in this afm. it happens after i have been driving on a wet road for a few hours worth of driving, and takes a few hours worth of driving to get back to normal, usually the day after, and all of a sudden after its dried out, it is fine again. I have looked at the motor and such, and even when it is happening, nothing there looks like it has gotten wet. my new theory is that maybe my o2 sensor is getting wet and acting weird. by the way, it has never happened while driving on a dry road, so i can only conclude that it is caused by water getting somewhere.

Last edited by de6w6it; 03-12-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
Ah, same issue here, and it's driving me nuts. But I'm pretty sure of the reason in my case. Mine only started doing this after I had water over the hood and sucked some muddy water into the AFM (K'N filters filter air great, but not so much water, lol). I tried to clean it and dry it out to the best I could, but about a day later while driving it, I started noticing the same symptoms you guys are; starts fine, and actually runs fine on first startup and running, but if you let it warm up, shut it off, then start it again a bit later, it'll run fine for a bit, then when you try to go anywhere, under partial throttle it spits and sputters and has no power until about 2,500-3,000 RPM, and them WHAM, it's like horrible turbo lag, lol. Under full throttle, it runs fine though. In my case, I'm pretty sure my AFM is toast, and it's been burning a lot more gas than it did before, so it's been running rich too. This all happened about 4 months ago, so it's been running rich for that long and I've just been dealing with it. Chances are my O2 sensor is shot now because of the rich running, but I'm replacing that with the exhaust upgrade soon anyway. Not until I put in a good working AFM, which is on it's way right now (I love eBay). Both of these parts are the originals as far as I can tell, and if that's the case, they have 284k miles on them, lol. I'll let you guys know how it woks out; if it helps at all.
I thought the same thing about the AFM, changed it out with a supra unit from a junk yard, and it made not the slightest difference. I think its my O2 sensor now, just ordered one a while ago, should be able to get it on friday. Will keep y'all posted.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by 94svt50
I thought the same thing about the AFM, changed it out with a supra unit from a junk yard, and it made not the slightest difference. I think its my O2 sensor now, just ordered one a while ago, should be able to get it on friday. Will keep y'all posted.
I was thinking O2 sensor as well but I'm leaning toward coolant temp sensor.

I found one of them, the one that picks up the temp for the gauge but I can't find the other one.

Anyone know where it is on the 22re?
Old 03-12-2008, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Snotrocket

I found one of them, the one that picks up the temp for the gauge but I can't find the other one.

The sensor is right next to the cold start timming switch thing. Just in front of where the thermostat housing is, it will be the unit on the right.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:12 PM

Seems like that because it gets better once I start driving and that's when the water flows through the best.

The location is right under the throttle body, slightly to the right and you'll see two plugs...it's the green one closest to the cylinder head.

Lucky for me, I have two truck with 22RE engines...time to start swapping parts!

Hopefully, whatever the problem is will fix everyone else's problem too.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by ToyYoda
Seems like that because it gets better once I start driving and that's when the water flows through the best.

The location is right under the throttle body, slightly to the right and you'll see two plugs...it's the green one closest to the cylinder head.

Lucky for me, I have two truck with 22RE engines...time to start swapping parts!

Hopefully, whatever the problem is will fix everyone else's problem too.
Get swapping!

I'll be heading to Napa tomorrow to grab a new coolant sensor or I might try cleaning the old one. I've got a new thermostat I haven't put in yet so I'll kill two birds with one stone while I'm under there.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:06 PM

Keep us posted with what you guys find. On my coolant temp sensor I checked the oHMs on a number of occasions, both when the problem was occurring and when it was running okay. Every time i checked it, it was well within specs. So, unless the problem doesnt show up in resistance then mine is fine. But, it does have 200k miles on it, and it is only a $35 part, its worth a shot.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:50 PM

Hmm, my p/u used to do that exactly...and when it would warm after driving around a little it goes away. I would hit the gas and it would hesitate almost to a stall and then give'r. Traced it first to the O2 sensor, replaced that and it went away immediately. Also got 100km more a tank after a few fill ups.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:26 AM

Bump.

Anyone get around to putting in an O2 sensor?
Old 03-14-2008, 04:52 PM

Bump.

Anyone get around to putting in an O2 sensor?

Heck ya. Just finished changing the oil, greasing the fittings and swapping out the 02 sensor from the cheapo splice in bosch to a propper plug in denso oem unit. My problem is fixed! Let me say it again, Finally after a year of chasing this gremlin, the problem is fixed.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
...and swapping out the 02 sensor from the cheapo splice in bosch to a propper plug in denso oem unit. My problem is fixed!
I'll have to do that too when I put my new header and the rest of my exhaust on. I still know I need a new AFM because I tried to adjust mine before I knew what I was doing, and I didn't mark the spring with the original clock, so I know mine's out of whack and I really have no way of recalibrating it, so it's still getting replaced regardless. But I'm purdy sure my O2 sensor is shot from running very rich for quite a while all because of the AFM.

So technically, what it all boils down to in my case, the AFM caused my problem, but only because it crapped out my O2 sensor by making the truck run rich, but after reading what you guys have found out, the O2 sensor is causing my running issues!

Old 03-14-2008, 06:53 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Heck ya. Just finished changing the oil, greasing the fittings and swapping out the 02 sensor from the cheapo splice in bosch to a propper plug in denso oem unit. My problem is fixed! Let me say it again, Finally after a year of chasing this gremlin, the problem is fixed.
How old was your Bosch sensor? Just curious.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by thook
How old was your Bosch sensor? Just curious.
About a year, it had maybe 20k miles on it.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:22 AM

I replaced the TPS, the oxygen sensor and adjusted my timing (it was waaaay advanced) and my problem got A LOT better but it's still there but not nearly as bad and doesn't hang around nearly as long. I bought a OEM replacement Bosch O2 sensor tho so maybe I should try a denso, although I don't think it will make a difference.

I'm going to the junk yard today so hopefully today I will finally fix the problem for good.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:39 PM

Did how much did your Bosch unit stick down into the exhaust pipe?
Old 03-17-2008, 03:59 PM

Did how much did your Bosch unit stick down into the exhaust pipe?
Probably about 3/4 compared to the other one and it didn't bolt down to the gasket all that way but it doesn't leak exhaust.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:51 AM

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I replaced my o2 sensor, and low and behold, it is raining today, and i still have the same problem, hasn't really changed at all. definitely running out of ideas, so if someone has one, I am more than willing to entertain whatever idea you have!!
Old 03-19-2008, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same issue on my 89 V6. Changed all the tune-up parts. You have to figure out if it is ignition or fuel. I'am a mechanic by trade but I'am too lazy to fix it. Here is a trick that works on all fuel injected vehicles. To eliminate certain sensors in closed loop you need to put the computer in open loop. How? Jump the connector under the hood, you know the procedure for checking ignition timing? Well this puts the computer in open loop. Open loop does not read the O2 sensor, EGR, knock seensor, just TPS, MAP(if equipped),and coolant temp. Some manufactures still read the MAF/AFM and even the IAT. I'am not sure on what Toyota does.

So anyways, jump the connector and take the truck for a spin. Does the problem go away? Also do not over look high mileage injectors, they will fail under load and give you the same symptom of that of a bad ignition system.

James

Last edited by JamesD; 03-19-2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by de6w6it
I replaced my o2 sensor, and low and behold, it is raining today, and i still have the same problem, hasn't really changed at all. definitely running out of ideas, so if someone has one, I am more than willing to entertain whatever idea you have!!

Make sure your O2 sensor harness clip is not getting moisture in it. That could throw off your readings. Clean the connector with some electrical part cleaner. If thats not it you probably have a wire rubbed free of its insulation, or cracked and its partially grounding out through moisture.

Quick Reply: Sputter sputter SUPER FAST ACCELERATION