86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Scrap the 3.0 or not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scrap the 3.0 or not?

OK, so Ive ben working in my spare time swapping the head Gaskets on a 95 4Runner,

trying to crank it last night to check the compression, and apparently had a gas leak, and WOOOF!, I never ran so fast in my life, to get the fire extenguisher.
Yelled at Mrs Roundhouse to run upstairs and get the other ext.
and one ext wasnt enough, had to use both.

a gas soaked, foam exercise mat (what I was laying on under the truck) is apparently very hard to put out.

The fire didnt do too much damage, mostly just to the wires on top of the transmission,
Anyhoo, with the corrosive dry-chem and water, I figure the engine is ruined since I had the valve covers and intake removed.

Anyone had this problem before,
& what did you do?

I turned it over it to clear the water out of the cyls,

I could pour lots of oil & trans fluid to flush out the oil pan, but i dunno if it would be worth it.

This could be the excuse I need to swap in a diesel, but I was really hopeing I could get the 3.0 running to sell the engine for big $$.

Anyone need any 3.0 or auto trans H/tcase parts?
Old 08-06-2006, 08:38 PM
Contributing Member

diesel would be a great solution. I'm not really sure if that motor is in the grave yet. I'm sure someone will though.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:05 PM
Contributing Member

Your motor should be fine, just make sure you get all the contaminents out of it.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:55 AM

Clean it out.
Reseal it.
You should be fine.

As a side note, I looked LONG AND HARD at doing a diesel swap.
I wanted to do a 2L-T turbo diesel. I found one, with 220,000 miles on it, and it came with a transmission and t-case.

The seller wanted $4000, which is WAY too much $$$ for an engine with 220,000 on it.

I've decided to rebuild the 3vz.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:12 AM

Yeppp, clean it and it will be fine.

Although this might gi ve you a good excuse to the wife to justify a 3.3 swap out of a tacoma =) It bolts right in!!!!
Old 08-07-2006, 07:19 AM

WHats best to clean it out with?
I used lots of water, and thought about using baking soda as well.

I think the VW diesel would be a easier & cheaper swap.
I havent found a 2LT , all Ive seen are 2LTE's with all the computer junk, which wouldnt want on a diesel. & Ive heard that all the @LT crack the heads often and the heads are about $1800 new and not avail in the US.

Last edited by roundhouse; 08-07-2006 at 07:24 AM.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SupraSport
Yeppp, clean it and it will be fine.

Although this might gi ve you a good excuse to the wife to justify a 3.3 swap out of a tacoma =) It bolts right in!!!!
Aaahh....that would be a 3.4 liter out of the Tacoma....and it involves quite a bit of modifications to swap them out, not the least of which is the ECU...
Old 08-07-2006, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by roundhouse
WHats best to clean it out with?
I used lots of water, and thought about using baking soda as well.

I think the VW diesel would be a easier & cheaper swap.
I havent found a 2LT , all Ive seen are 2LTE's with all the computer junk, which wouldnt want on a diesel. & Ive heard that all the @LT crack the heads often and the heads are about $1800 new and not avail in the US.
I'd probably pour some diesel fuel through the engine. Start at the valve covers, let it flow through to the engine pan, and empty it. Pour a few gallons through to get it cleaned out, and change the oil filter.

Then fill with motor oil, turn the crank a few times to pre-lube the engine.
That should do it.

I did a crapload of research on doign a diesel swap.
The VW TDI diesel would be cool. But there are a CRAPLOAD of electronics associated with that motor, and the injection. Also, they are 1.8 liter. So the discplacment wouldn't be nearly enough to push a heavy (relativly speaking) 4Runner around. Adapting the VW TDI or the older diesel to the toyota tranny wouldn't be very easy.

The W10 VW turbo diesel would be REALLY cool, but the only ones I could find were $8,000 or more. And adaptinng the W10 to the 4Runner drivetrain wouldn't have been easy.

The 2LT that I found (94) did have electronics to control the emissions controls. However, the engine itself is mechanical, and I could have easily removed the emissions controls to simplify the installation.

That said, the frame for the 4Runner has holes in the frame for the 2LT motor mounts. You simply move the motor mounts and drop the engine in.

There are other issues, such as removing the stock fuel pump, etc. But they aren't that much of a hassel.

the only stumbling block was that everyone who has those enignes know what people will pay for them, and all of them have a crapload of miles on them.

Had I found one for $2k or less, I'd be putting it into my truck.

A cummins 4BT would be killer, but you'd need to put in some beefire components. Such as an NV4500, Dana 300 t-case. Not to mention that it's a VERY tall motor.
You'd need to do a body lift and a SAS.

Last edited by Tigerstripe40; 08-07-2006 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
Aaahh....that would be a 3.4 liter out of the Tacoma....and it involves quite a bit of modifications to swap them out, not the least of which is the ECU...
Ya, thats what I ment.... That my plan for next year. 3.4L!!! I found a swap write up in a magazine.... didn't seem to hard. Wir harness and ECU are a pain, but nothing I can't handel.

As far as cleaning out your engine.... I don't know..
Old 08-07-2006, 08:52 AM

I think a VW 1.9L turbo diesel would be a great engine. They have mechanical injection before the TDI came out in 99 and have the same torque if not more then the 22RE. More HP then the 22RE and they make their power around the same rpm band 2000-3500 so the Toy trans would work great. The only issue you would have is getting the 1.9 to fit the Toy tranny. If anyone has a VW diesel laying around and can get me bolt hole and shaft measurements off the back I can make up an adapter for the Toy trans and post it here.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Flash319
I think a VW 1.9L turbo diesel would be a great engine. They have mechanical injection before the TDI came out in 99 and have the same torque if not more then the 22RE. More HP then the 22RE and they make their power around the same rpm band 2000-3500 so the Toy trans would work great. The only issue you would have is getting the 1.9 to fit the Toy tranny. If anyone has a VW diesel laying around and can get me bolt hole and shaft measurements off the back I can make up an adapter for the Toy trans and post it here.

I wouldn't want any diesel with a computer, that kinda defeats the purpose of having a diesel.

I want one that can do like the Top Gear TV show where they tried many times to kill it and couldnt, not even sinking it in salt water overnight.

I think the stock 1.9 HP/Tq numbers are very close to the 3.0 #s

VW sold a lot of mech injected 1.9s in Canada, and Ive seen a few TDI transplants with a modified Cummins 4BT mech pump instead of the computer.

Acme
http://www.acmeadapters.com/store_engine.php
makes adapters to mate the VW to the Toyota 5 speed.

Crimney, I need to get this running so I can sell it before the HG blows again, or at least stop driving my 3/4 ton 4WD SUburban, 9 MPG really sucks!!
But it tows the 4RUnner like its not even back there.

But I checked the compression and one cyl, the center on the drivers side has 125 lbs and all the rest have 180. so something isnt right still.

Last edited by roundhouse; 08-07-2006 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a note on the Diesel swaps: Theres a guy over on IH8Mud who has done this/been doing this on FJ80/FZJ80's with the Cummins 4BTA, and he said it runs in the ballpark of 12-14k. Quite a chunk of change, and Im sure you could get it done a bit cheaper, but thats a number to start with.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by F0RSAKEN
Just a note on the Diesel swaps: Theres a guy over on IH8Mud who has done this/been doing this on FJ80/FZJ80's with the Cummins 4BTA, and he said it runs in the ballpark of 12-14k. Quite a chunk of change, and Im sure you could get it done a bit cheaper, but thats a number to start with.

While the Cummins is a great engine, I dont want a 1000 pound Cummins in a yota, and they are SO LOUD.

Why cant Cummins make one as quiet as the Isuzu box trucks?
Old 08-07-2006, 08:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
too loud?!? LOL

Here most of us with Turbo diesels, on the forums anyway, are tyring to find ways to make them LOUDER and blow MORE black soot everywhere, yet keep EGT's in check....hehehe

You think a cummins is bad? You should hear the I444 7.3L Navistar found in most of the powerstroke diesels when it first fires up!! Next loudest in OEM form would be the International 6.5LTD on a cold moring, damn thing sounds like a train wreck there's so much advance in the IP...lol

I love a loud clattering diesel, particularly if the turbo's whistle can overpower the clattering!

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 08-07-2006 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
too loud?!? LOL

Here most of us with Turbo diesels, on the forums anyway, are tyring to find ways to make them LOUDER and blow MORE black soot everywhere, yet keep EGT's in check....hehehe

You think a cummins is bad? You should hear the I444 7.3L Navistar found in most of the powerstroke diesels when it first fires up!! Next loudest in OEM form would be the International 6.5LTD on a cold moring, damn thing sounds like a train wreck there's so much advance in the IP...lol

I love a loud clattering diesel, particularly if the turbo's whistle can overpower the clattering!

I hear ya, I 've owned several 18 wheelers are love the rattle.

My old Rabbit sounded like it was gonna explode, every morning.
It was louder than the 6.2 I have.

Only thing thats scary is some of the posts on dieselmadness list 0-60 times of 32 seconds for one with a turbo.
Thats downright dangerous in traffic, I think I loaded garbage truck is faster than that.