Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Reviving a long-dormant, low-mile 22RE

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't had time to update this thread regularly, but I'll get back to the write-ups soon. In the meantime, here are some teasers:

Engine, trans, and transfer case are back in the truck. I installed the engine first, by itself, because I realized my pilot bearing was missing and had to wait for a new one to arrive. This ended up making the engine install super easy, but the transmission/transfer case install quite a bit harder. Looking back, I can say that a transmission jack and a lift would have made my night much shorter!

Just hooking up the little things now in preparation to start this engine for the first time in 25 years...
Old 01-11-2013, 03:17 PM

Just a quick update, this truck has been up and running for about 5 months now. I've put less than 1000 miles on it in that time since I have a short commute, but it's running great. The only issue I've had so far is an idle surge when I turn on the AC...is that common with these trucks? Mine never used to do that.

I will finish my engine build / install writeups to complete this thread, but just wanted to post this unless I left anyone hanging.

Here's the truck now, running again and wearing new BFG 31x10.5 ATs on the original white steelie wheels. Hooray for overexposed cell phone pics.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Duder

But what's that in the background? A stack of BFGs? Yes!

New 31x10.5R15 ATs as a treat for the truck. I even got five so it will have a matching spare.

It will be so much better looking with these - not to mention some real trail capability. I've never had anything other than the stock street tires on this truck so I'm excited to try it out. The comparison pic makes the stockers look even wimpier than they really are (if that's possible). I'm thinking of mounting them with white letters out to compliment the stock white steelies and keep the 80's theme alive
How come you decided to go with white letter in!?
Old 01-11-2013, 04:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mxdw88

I like the white letter in. Plus, if you scuff up the sidewall with lettering out, it looks like doodie.

Truck looks kickass, man. Love the original Cali plates. Don't see a lot of those, remember seeing them as a kid. Do plates not stay on a vehicle when you sell it down there?

Sent from my iPhone using YotaTech
Old 01-11-2013, 06:05 PM

To me white letters out is pretty gay. I like the way his truck looks. Good job man!
Old 01-11-2013, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Hilux4Life
To me white letters out is pretty gay. I like the way his truck looks. Good job man!
Ill have to disagree with you on that one! Either way the truck looks great though; I've always liked the look of Toyotas with a/ts or mud tires on stock wheels!

Last edited by mxdw88; 01-11-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:03 PM

I decided that I liked the cleaner look with black letters out, and realized that the whites would end up getting scuffed the first time I touch a rock with them. Combination of aesthetics and practicality, in other words.

Originally Posted by combatcarl
I like the white letter in. Plus, if you scuff up the sidewall with lettering out, it looks like doodie.

Truck looks kickass, man. Love the original Cali plates. Don't see a lot of those, remember seeing them as a kid. Do plates not stay on a vehicle when you sell it down there?

Sent from my iPhone using YotaTech
Thanks - the plates are original to the truck from 1986. Plates stay with the vehicle after a sale, not the owner, unless they are vanity plates and the seller wants to keep them for their next car. The "sunset" plates I have on this truck were an optional upgrade from CA DMV in the '80s. Standard plates then were blue w/ yellow letters. Sunset plates were reflectorized and of course had the sweet graphics. It's odd to me that the original owner paid extra for these plates considering the truck is mostly a base model. Only options it has are AM/FM stereo, air conditioning, and 4WD. Doesn't even have a passenger side mirror. At least the all vinyl interior is easy to clean!

Originally Posted by Hilux4Life
Ill have to disagree with you on that one! Either way the truck looks great though; I've always liked the look of Toyotas with a/ts or mud tires on stock wheels!
Thanks guys, I appreciate the compliments! I like the way it looks too, and just took the shell off actually. I'll have to get some more current pics up soon.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:40 PM

Here's the video my wife shot of this engine starting for the first time after being rebuilt, in July 2012. Maybe not the most exciting video in the world, but I wanted to record the moment in the event of either great success or major failure. Glad I got the former instead of the latter.

Last edited by Duder; 01-13-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:57 AM

The only issue I've had so far is an idle surge when I turn on the AC...is that common with these trucks? Mine never used to do that.
Just need to adjust the idle-up diaphragm down a little. If it's set too high, it hits some sort of cut out controlled by the A/C Amplifier behind the glove box. If you look while it's running and surging, you'll be able to see which diaphragm it is, and the screw is pretty close to the base idle screw.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by stock87
Just need to adjust the idle-up diaphragm down a little. If it's set too high, it hits some sort of cut out controlled by the A/C Amplifier behind the glove box. If you look while it's running and surging, you'll be able to see which diaphragm it is, and the screw is pretty close to the base idle screw.
Awesome, thanks for the tip! I know that it does idle up fairly high after a cold start, higher than it did before the rebuild / engine swap. I'll take a look and adjust it back to OE specs if I can. Before I pulled the original engine, the idle speed wouldn't increase when A/C was switched on. I'm not sure if it should idle up with A/C or not...time for more FSM reading apparently. Thanks again. Glad to hear there's someone else still running a stock 22R out there.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:53 PM

Awesome, thanks for the tip! I know that it does idle up fairly high after a cold start, higher than it did before the rebuild / engine swap. I'll take a look and adjust it back to OE specs if I can. Before I pulled the original engine, the idle speed wouldn't increase when A/C was switched on. I'm not sure if it should idle up with A/C or not...time for more FSM reading apparently. Thanks again. Glad to hear there's someone else still running a stock 22R out there.
Not the cold fast idle… there's actually a specific screw just for the A/C idle up. 3 total:
Fast idle
Warm idle
A/C idle (should hold the revs around 950-1000 per the FSM IIRC)

If you're looking at the passenger side of the carb, it's the dashpot looking thing in the lower left corner with one vacuum hose going to a VSV on the fender well. I don't have a pic handy, unfortunately.

I can go check my FSM later if need be.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:58 PM

Ah, yes. Thanks for the reminder. I will check it out. If I'm not mistaken, you're referring to the vacuum actuator shown here at the bottom of the picture, which I labeled "Act. 1."

And seen again in the lower left corner of this picture:

Old 01-14-2013, 07:27 PM

Ah, yes. Thanks for the reminder. I will check it out. If I'm not mistaken, you're referring to the vacuum actuator shown here at the bottom of the picture, which I labeled "Act. 1."

<truncated>

And seen again in the lower left corner of this picture:

<truncated>
Bingo, that's the one. The flat head screw attached to the linkage should take care of your problem.

The FSM has a million checks for angles of throttle plates and the like while the carb is apart, and then you go and change it all again when you actually set it up on the truck. :rolleyes:
Old 01-18-2013, 12:55 PM

Stock87: Thanks again for the tip about the A/C idle surge. I backed that screw out and the issue was fixed instantly. It's got a nice smooth idle now, with or without A/C on!

FSM spec for idle speed with A/C on is 900-1000 rpm, just as a side note.