Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear window rolls down intermittently in cold weather, every time when warm

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2023, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rear window rolls down intermittently in cold weather, every time when warm

1990 4runner

Hoping I can find someone else who has had this issue or knows more about the electronics than I do.

In warm weather, generally above 60 degrees, my tailgate window will roll down first time, every time, with no issues from the center console button. The window rolls up first time, every time, no matter the weather. Once the weather gets below that I have to press the button repeatedly to get it to roll down. The problem gets worse the colder it is. When it's down into the 20's I might have to press the button 50-100 times or more but it will eventually roll down. In the 50's I'll have to press it 2-10 times.

I hear an audible click from the rear passenger side each time I press the button (which I assume is the relay working) meaning power is getting at least that far.

What would the weather affect here? Could it be shrinking metal wires so that they don't have a good connection? Perhaps the brushes in the motor shrink or something? I feel there must be some significance to the fact that it can still roll up first time, I'm not sure if there are different wires for rolling up or something though.

Figure I need to finally fix this now that it's starting to get cold again...any help is appreciated!

Last edited by Haaklord; 10-18-2023 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-24-2023, 11:46 AM

Received 409 Likes on 263 Posts
I've bypassed the ignition switch and the rear tailgate window switch on all of our 1st gens. Why?
because years ago i found out, that when I bypassed the factory wiring and relays, I could have a 12volt switch that will spin my starter every time and it also makes a great theft deterrent.
The back window makes it so I don't even have to have the key on, just reach in... hit the toggle switch and roll it up or down . Easypeasy and no more wondering IF it's going to open or not. Don't forget to install a couple of 20AMP inline fuses...

Last edited by 87-4runner; 10-24-2023 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-03-2023, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 87-4runner
I've bypassed the ignition switch and the rear tailgate window switch on all of our 1st gens. Why?
because years ago i found out, that when I bypassed the factory wiring and relays, I could have a 12volt switch that will spin my starter every time and it also makes a great theft deterrent.
The back window makes it so I don't even have to have the key on, just reach in... hit the toggle switch and roll it up or down . Easypeasy and no more wondering IF it's going to open or not. Don't forget to install a couple of 20AMP inline fuses...

huh...so just a direct wire from that toggle switch to the window motor then? Seems like it would solve any questions around wiring issues. But wouldn't that be the opposite of a theft deterrent? Can't anyone just hop in, fire her up and drive? I guess in regards to the window, they would be inside the truck already at that point so it would be beside the point. I do like that idea though, I might just do the same to simplify the whole thing. Thanks for the tip!