86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear Coils Pro Comp vs. Moog vs. OME

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Coils Pro Comp vs. Moog vs. OME

Ok guys i have determined i definitely need now rear coils. I just need to figure out what kind.
The three options i found
Moog Springs: $86.00
Pro Comp 3.5 lift: $98.00
OME 2" lift: $66.00 each
I just want the back leveled out and some payload. Don't want to spend tons of money
Please Help

Whats better Constant or Varible rate?

94 4runner 5spd v6

Last edited by Chrisnxl185; 05-23-2007 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:50 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used the Eibach springs - they seem to work really well - leveled out the truck nicely and don't ride harsh with or without a load. They have a progressive rate.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:55 PM

how much were they, where did u order them from?
Old 05-23-2007, 03:31 PM

I just installed a set of the Moog springs. I didn't want to spend too much and had read others were happy with them. I am too. They lifted the rear up a full inch and eliminated just about all of the bounce I had before. They may not be as good as the Downey, PP or Eibachs but for the price they are working out great. Easy to install too!

Greg T
'92 4Runner
Old 05-23-2007, 07:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Modifier
I just installed a set of the Moog springs. I didn't want to spend too much and had read others were happy with them. I am too. They lifted the rear up a full inch and eliminated just about all of the bounce I had before. They may not be as good as the Downey, PP or Eibachs but for the price they are working out great. Easy to install too!

Greg T
'92 4Runner
"Bounce" really has very little to do with the springs.
"Bounce" is controlled mostly by the shocks.
Shocks control the rate of weight transfer.

Fred
Old 05-23-2007, 07:31 PM

All pro makes a nice 1.5"

I hate pro comp!
Old 05-23-2007, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisnxl185
Ok guys i have determined i definitely need now rear coils. I just need to figure out what kind.
The three options i found
Moog Springs: $86.00
Pro Comp 3.5 lift: $98.00
OME 2" lift: $66.00 each
I just want the back leveled out and some payload. Don't want to spend tons of money
Please Help

Whats better Constant or Varible rate?

94 4runner 5spd v6
You got to remember something.
I see this a lot, so I assume that a lot of people here don't know what the springs you mentioned really do.

Pro Comp 3.5" lift springs will NOT lift the rear of a sagged 4Runner 3.5", nor will OME 2" list springs lift the rear of a sagged 4Runner 2".
The Pro Comp 3.5" springs will lift the rear 3.5" ABOVE stock height.
The OME 2" springs will lift the rear 2" ABOVE stock height.
Stock height is sitting level.

If you just want to level the vehicle out again (assuming it's sagging in the rear), you simply need stock height springs.
Put either the 3.5" Pro Comps or the 2" OME springs on and the vehicle will then be sitting ass high in the air, not level.

Fred
Old 05-23-2007, 07:44 PM

Nice post there man^^^^
So what are the best springs for bringing the back end up to regular, level, stock height??? Including ride and quality and price and all that.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:55 PM

I had moog on my old 94 to fix the saggy rear....it leveled out nice and the ride quality was very good. It should have come stock like that!
Old 05-23-2007, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Brad.
Nice post there man^^^^
So what are the best springs for bringing the back end up to regular, level, stock height??? Including ride and quality and price and all that.
The springs that NAPA sells and Autozone both seem to be about the same.
I have some from a local auto parts store, MOOG's, and they work just fine.
They're variable rate, which I'm not a huge fan of for offroad, but these seem to be ok.

Again, remember, that ride quality (roughness, softness, lack of "bounce") is determined more by the shocks than the springs.

Fred
Old 05-23-2007, 08:17 PM
tc
Contributing Member

I disagree with Fred - it all depends on the manufacturer. For example, my Eibachs are listed as 1.5" lift - they level it out.

I got them from NOPI, sorry don't remember how much...
Old 05-23-2007, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by tc
I disagree with Fred - it all depends on the manufacturer. For example, my Eibachs are listed as 1.5" lift - they level it out.

I got them from NOPI, sorry don't remember how much...
Then they are simply short.
The spring should yield the nomimal listed lift and this is the amount of lift above stock height.

So, that you're saying is that the Eibachs, if put on a vehicle that hasn't sagged, won't do anything for it, lift wise.
If put on a vehicle with 3" of sag, they'll list it 3", thus making it level.
If put on a vehicle that has sagged 1", they'll lift it only 1" thus leveling it out.

Right.....

If a spring is listed as a lift spring (say 2" or 3.5" or whatever) that is the nominal distance above stock height that it'll lift the vehicle.

Basically, if you're correct, Eibachs suck as their lift springs really provide no lift.

Fred
Old 05-24-2007, 04:20 AM

One thing im wonder about is with stock springs is it level. I have seen some old advertisement pictures for my 4runner and it looks like its sagging in the back.
You guys think i should buy a cheap set of moog springs and if i still want more height in the rear buy spacers.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:45 AM
tc
Contributing Member

I should have said this earlier - if I had it to do over again, I would have gone with one of the trdparts4u lift packages with BJ spacers, longer coils and shocks...

and Fred - Eibach is probably THE premier coil spring manufacturer in the world. Whether they said +0 or +1.5" doesn't matter to me, I was looking for a spring to fix the sag, and they did it perfectly.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by tc
I should have said this earlier - if I had it to do over again, I would have gone with one of the trdparts4u lift packages with BJ spacers, longer coils and shocks...

and Fred - Eibach is probably THE premier coil spring manufacturer in the world. Whether they said +0 or +1.5" doesn't matter to me, I was looking for a spring to fix the sag, and they did it perfectly.
I'm well aware of who/what Eiback is.
I've involved with circle track racing.
Point is still valid though.
If you order 1.5" lift springs and they only brought the rear of the vehicle up to stock height then one of two things is/are true:
- You have a crap load of weight in the rear.
- You got ripped and sent stock height springs.
Or, come to think of it, maybe:
- You've turned your front t-bars up ca 1.5" and you've judging "level" based on a raised front.

Regardless, ANY spring company that sells springs and list them as 1.5" lift or 3.5" lift or 2" lift, etc., that are not refering the amount of lift that you'll get starting from a sagged position, but rather the amount of nominal list that you'll get starting from stock height position.

As I mentioned, I got the standard MOOG springs and it brought the rear up perfectly level with the front.

Fred
Old 05-24-2007, 05:37 PM

Do you have a picture of what ur 4runner looks like with the Moog springs? How does it look / ride with a load in the back?
Old 05-24-2007, 05:52 PM

I got the Old Man Emus from trdparts4u.com (strap22 here on the board). Love the ride. Agree with Fred - i bought the lift springs, and had to adjust the torsion bars (also OME) to level the truck out. Keep in mind that if you get lift springs you may well need to get shocks that are a little longer to keep up with it.

Call or email the guys over at trdparts4u and they can give you all the info that you need.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisnxl185
Do you have a picture of what ur 4runner looks like with the Moog springs? How does it look / ride with a load in the back?
I'll take a couple of photos in the morning and post 'em up here.

Fred
Old 05-24-2007, 07:37 PM
Contributing Member

The only way to really solve this is to know what the factory rim to fender height was. In my opinion, a 4runner without any sagging still looks like it is raked to the rear because of the smaller rear fenders. I would think a 1.5" lift would look pretty level. But, that being said, how do we know if we see a 4runner on stock springs with no sag. These vehicles are at least 12 yrs. old. Without actual numbers of where it started stock this argument is not going anywhere.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:04 AM

Here is a photo:

The rear is raised several inches and now sits level. Note that the front and wheel well opens are not the same size so you can't go by that visual. You have to measure from the bottom of the rocker, right behind the front wheel, to the ground and then from the bottom of the rocker right in front of the rear wheel, to the ground, or put a level across the bottom of the rocker:

Fred

Quick Reply: Rear Coils Pro Comp vs. Moog vs. OME