Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Quick, Easy, Painless 3vze Intake Plenum and Upper Engine Cleaning and TuneUp

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 02:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never used sea-foam. Is it really that good?
Old 02-27-2014, 08:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone in California have any luck purchasing Power Foam? I can't seem to find a vendor that will sell it.

Nvm, I found one

Last edited by Gamefreakgc; 02-27-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:09 AM
RSR

HC is hydrocarbons -- unburnt fuel. Cat might be going. Also look at your fuel injection and ignition components.

Assuming you're a V6, the flamethrowers introduce atomized fuel instead of stream resulting in better burn. Changing out spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor at least to start on ignition.

Also check all sensors on these and your AFM too. Wouldn't hurt to check all your temp sensors either.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:37 AM

I've tried this as well, with amazing results! I did not take pictures however
Old 02-28-2014, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Great write up RSR.

It will cost more for a factory Toyota Catalytic Converter, but from what I have seen of the aftermarkets converters, they are cheaply made. As I understand it the ones in California have a tough time passing smog with an aftermarket converter. I have scrapped out 20 year old factory converters that were in better condition then a newer aftermarket.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:59 PM

I ran seafoam instead of amsoil followed your instructions to a T. It's freakin awesome how much better my throttle response is now and the rpms just climb wayyyy smoother!! Nice work man everyone should do this for an immediate jump in performance. Only thing that went wrong was my intake boot was sooo old and brittle when I tried to slide it over the spray hose and clamp it down my intake boot cracked on both sides. So I had to jerry rig it and electrical tape that hell out if it until I can get a new boot .

But man it really helped a lot! I can most definitly feel the increase in power.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:16 PM
RSR

Originally Posted by oeiak91
I ran seafoam instead of amsoil followed your instructions to a T. It's freakin awesome how much better my throttle response is now and the rpms just climb wayyyy smoother!! Nice work man everyone should do this for an immediate jump in performance. Only thing that went wrong was my intake boot was sooo old and brittle when I tried to slide it over the spray hose and clamp it down my intake boot cracked on both sides. So I had to jerry rig it and electrical tape that hell out if it until I can get a new boot .

But man it really helped a lot! I can most definitly feel the increase in power.
Cheap chinese boots on amazon and elsewhere for $30. It's a quick fix. Also search ISR delete and consider going that route to move your intake up off your manifold.

While you're in there, open your throttle and look down it with a flash light. I think you'll see your plenum is full of carbon and then should do amsoil!

I look at it as Seafoam excels in cleaning the combustion chamber in your engine -- piston head, exhaust valves, seats, etc of carbon, but is less effective than Amsoil overall. Running Seafoam first cleans your combustion chamber for you. Then Amsoil does the final cleanup of your upper intake and anywhere else the seafoam missed.

Yes, it does make a tremendous difference. Equivalent for me to what I go by advancing timing to 12* btdc.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:26 PM

Cool! I'm gonna run the amsoil next then. I'll snap some photos when it's all apart again. I also been looking at a cold air intake mod instead of buying that boot. I think I gonna get a K&N and rig up a whole new pipe for my intake. I just picked up my 3vze a little while back and I'm just looking and cool mods and neat stuff I can do to help with performance.

Thx again!

Old 03-01-2014, 08:34 PM
RSR

Big NO to K&N. You want cold air, not the hot air in our engine compartments. Also, K&N's oil ruin our AFMs. And they aren't effective at filtering particulate, which creates add'l wear and tear throughout your engine.

See these threads for better ideas:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...or-mod-272014/
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-setup-272137/
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...er-one-272657/
Old 03-01-2014, 08:50 PM

Lots of options. Wow man had no clue it's that easy! Well not easy but affordable doable yourselfable haha.. Any opinions on which one give best performance boost? And not overly noisy? I like cool sounding low rumble but not super loud like a rice rocket.,
Old 03-01-2014, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by RSR
Big NO to K&N. You want cold air, not the hot air in our engine compartments. Also, K&N's oil ruin our AFMs. And they aren't effective at filtering particulate, which creates add'l wear and tear throughout your engine.

See these threads for better ideas:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...or-mod-272014/
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-setup-272137/
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...er-one-272657/

I agree, I had a modified intake that drew in engine bay air. Was great cold but in the summers and after running 10 min the power got sapped from the high temps. You want to pull hold air from outside the engine bay.

P.S. the holes in the frame trick works great
Old 03-01-2014, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by RSR
I'll add that if someone does before and after pics, I'd be stoked to see them as I just have memories... Again, the keys are a piping hot engine and plenum, and allowing time to soak (allowing the gases/foam to spend more time and to dissolve the crud in the upper intake instead of running straight through to the upper engine cylinders). And don't forget the final tuneup items to get the full benefit from your now clean and less restrictive plenum.
I'll take before and after pix when I run the amsoil.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:24 AM

Just did it yesterday on a hot engine, seems like mine's already pretty clean since nothing really changed. A lot of smoke though!

I'm gonna try the engine flush next. I've run seafoam and MMO in my oil once before (made it really dirty!) so looking to clean it out even better. I'm trying to get my rig in as best of shape as possible since I will have to sell it in the near future.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:09 AM

Just to follow up on this one,

My O2 sensor failed at 10k miles. I don't burn oil or coolant. The only thing I did different was the Powerfoam treatment. I knew this was a possibility going in but I had a spare and my engine's old so had nothing to lose really. When I pulled it out the forward edge was coated in carbon and a white film (the powerfoam, incidentally, is also white).

Just a heads up!
Old 06-27-2014, 12:04 PM

Is this a good heads up or bad. Planning on doing this once I get the truck drivable again. We are having real bad power issues.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:50 PM

Bad, I suppose. Every cleaning chemical claims to be "O2 sensor safe" but this one is not. Just be prepared to change the sensor if you do this (which runs about $60) or swap in an old one instead while cleaning.