Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

plans for tomorrow...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 10:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
THE TOYOTA TOWS GREAT.. this is what i did today!
Old 11-09-2008, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is that a mechanical oil pressure gauge? I'm always scared of those coming loose and spraying oil all over your cluster.

I'd recommend just using one continuous length of hose for that reason instead of using a junction, less places for it to come loose.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by NicCantDecide
is that a mechanical oil pressure gauge? I'm always scared of those coming loose and spraying oil all over your cluster.

I'd recommend just using one continuous length of hose for that reason instead of using a junction, less places for it to come loose.
well the juction will be under the hood; it it breaks loose and spray's everywhere, I'll see the pressure drop on the guage

and if their installed right, you'll never have issues with it leaking; I've set these up in almost every vehicle I've ever owned and have only had one leak because the tube vibrated against the edge of a body panel so it wore a whole in it, but never at the connectors; I'm more cautious about my routing now and I make use or wire loom in places I'm concerned about
Old 11-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 182 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by bigt
THE TOYOTA TOWS GREAT.. this is what i did today!
I've done that! Exept my truck was behind a moving truck with no rear drive shaft and little tiny tires on the front(35's don't seem to fit on those tow dolly's!) for a little over 3000 miles...
Old 11-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
well the juction will be under the hood; it it breaks loose and spray's everywhere, I'll see the pressure drop on the guage

and if their installed right, you'll never have issues with it leaking; I've set these up in almost every vehicle I've ever owned and have only had one leak because the tube vibrated against the edge of a body panel so it wore a whole in it, but never at the connectors; I'm more cautious about my routing now and I make use or wire loom in places I'm concerned about
I like wires so mine are all electric, but I'm glad you've had success with manual gauges. How'd the temp sender work out?
Old 11-09-2008, 03:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah i cant afford insurance on both trucks so i dolly the one.. also had to get over sized tire straps and they JUST fit the 32 inch mudders... if i go any bigger ill have to custom fab the dolly a bit.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:03 PM
Contributing Member

Well, guys, I didn't get it all done...

The only thing I didn't do is, you guess it, the temp probe. Not because I don't think the t-stat housing wont support it, but after I pulled the housing off, dropped the new t-stat in, then drug my tap set out, I realised that it doesn't have a tap larg enough for even the smallest adapter that came with the gauge.

I just glad I didn't drill and tap a hole before I realised that...

So the other option I was thinking about was the in-line with the rad hose idea that I see being done and talked about a lot. My only issue is this; there's just enough length in the temp gauge probe to reach the t-stat housing, so there's no way it going to reach the upper rad hose... I could just do it on the hose coming off the water pump on the driver's side, but that's not an accurate reading becuase it'll just be cool water coming from the rad...

Does anyone know of a way to lengthen the temp probe line? It looks like it's just a copper wire, and I don't know if it would throw the readings off if you just cut it soldered on an extra foot or 2.

The other thing I thought about is will an earlier style 22re t-stat housing bolt to the later 22re intake manifold? Because doesn't the ealier style housing have the OEM temp sender threaded into it? If so, that would be perfect!

But on the up side, my oil pressure sensor adaptation worked perfect!

Yes I know, dirty motor; old valve cover gasket leak... I sprayed it off a little today, it was even worse, lol

I'm also happy to say that I now know my truck makes good oil pressure for 290k miles!

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 11-09-2008 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:19 PM
Contributing Member

The oil setup looks great, did the volt meter wire in ok? Bummer about the temp sender. I'm not sure either about the thermo housing from earlier 22r-e's. Hmmmm, my temp gauge sender is aft of the thermo housing and I believe there is another thermo sender that feeds to the ecu that forward of the thermostat...is that the one your thinking of?
Old 11-09-2008, 03:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
The oil setup looks great, did the volt meter wire in ok? Bummer about the temp sender. I'm not sure either about the thermo housing from earlier 22r-e's. Hmmmm, my temp gauge sender is aft of the thermo housing and I believe there is another thermo sender that feeds to the ecu that forward of the thermostat...is that the one your thinking of?
oh yeah, the volt meter was a breeze

yeah on my 91 22re, there's 2 temp sensor pointing forward (one's for the ECU, the other's for the cold start injecter timer), and the sender for the gauge is pointing up on the intake manifold between cyl 2 and 3.

I'm not sure what the temp sensor on the earlier modle 22re relays info to; not sure if it's to the dash or ECU, but either way it wouldn't matter, if it bolts up, I could use it, even if I have to open the hole up a little bit to fit the adapter

there's also that vaccum swith pointing up that's twards the front of the manifold, and I was just going to bypass the hoses on it and loop them around to each other and try to tap in there, but I couldn't get the dang thing to break free...

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 11-09-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:29 PM
Contributing Member

the two senders below the throttle body?
Old 11-09-2008, 04:25 PM
Contributing Member

The TVV is was I attempted to remove and bypass, as the other 2 are a little more important to the vehicle running fairly decent...

and here's where the temp sensor is on my truck...

Now look at this picture...

Couldn't tell ya what's going on with that intake, but that looks like a sensor on top of the t-stat housing to me...

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 11-09-2008 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

ok gotcha, I had to go out and look at mine. I have that sender shown in the last pic and am pretty sure that it's a temp sensor FOR the ecu. I still have the same sender for the gauge as you do there between pistons 2/3. Sooo, if you DON'T have that on your later 22r-e then one from a prior model should bolt in and you could use that to run your other sender...

I just wanted to use that one...
Old 11-09-2008, 05:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm just gonna throw this out there as food for thought...
why not oil temp instead of coolant temp?
Old 11-09-2008, 05:20 PM
Contributing Member

see that's what I was thinking; it would work freeking perfect if it'll bolt right up!

I also read that the outlet on an RTE would have the sensor as well, but that might be a little harder to find around here, lol

I'll have to stop by the junk yard tomorrow on the way home and see if I can find one.

Know off the top of your head what years they had the early 22re's?

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 11-09-2008 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by abecedarian
I'm just gonna throw this out there as food for thought...
why not oil temp instead of coolant temp?
then I'd have to find a spot to probe that though, lol
Old 11-09-2008, 05:30 PM

sheesh... fine!.... lol

so for cooling... what about the plugged fitting on top of the lower intake manifold right next to the cold start time switch?
You might have to adapt / bush it down to fit your probe... but why not? The coolant temp sensor for the ECU is right there next to it.

Last edited by abecedarian; 11-09-2008 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by abecedarian
sheesh... fine!.... lol

so for cooling... what about the plugged fitting on top of the lower intake manifold right next to the cold start time switch?
You might have to adapt / bush it down to fit your probe... but why not? The coolant temp sensor for the ECU is right there next to it.
plugged fitting?

I believe I'd have to see a picture of that one...
Old 11-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Contributing Member

I would think that any of the 1980 years of truck motors would probably work, but don't forget about the Supras too.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
I would think that any of the 1980 years of truck motors would probably work, but don't forget about the Supras too.
yeah, I might just have to scroung around the U-Pull-It tomorrow with a racket, extention, and a 10 and 12mm socket, lol
Old 11-09-2008, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
plugged fitting?

I believe I'd have to see a picture of that one...
I tried to get a good pic, but it's dark out side (as if you didn't know )...

the 'black' plug is in front of that 'plug' (closer to the bottom of the pic).
the 'green' plug is not in the shot (it's underneath the blur on the right side of the pics)

and this is on my wife's 91 22re.

Last edited by abecedarian; 11-09-2008 at 05:57 PM.

Quick Reply: plans for tomorrow...