Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

pinging with correct timing and 91+ octane...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had all of the symptoms and i have been following this thread will i accidently think i found my problem

I have recently replaced all of these parts and did maintenance on my 94 Toyota 22Re, auto tranny

Adjust TPS
Valve Adjustment
Timing Chain Replacement
Denso Iridium IW20 Plugs
Distributor Cap
Rotor
8mm Plug wires
Water pump
Belts
AFM Adjustment
Battery
Alternator
SeaFoam Treatment

I have had a problem with my timing in the past i couldn't get it to stop pinging unless i put the timing on TDC. I had to put a alternator on it today because the battery went dead yesterday and i drove to work today and the alternator started raisn cane. When i got it replaced the idling was off and was running way to fast and surging. I adjusted it down and reset the timing to spec 5*BTDC and VOILA!!!! No pinging, does this make any kind of sense???

I had posted this the other day, but i wanted to show my results
Old 10-19-2006, 08:02 PM
Banned

I know you said you've run 91 octane and it worked before and now it doesn't, can you get 93 octane in south FL? Mine pings some when I gas it on 89 octane but none on 93. The reason I'm not keeping this conversation private is if someone figures this out it will be in the search. Oh yeah my motor has about 1400 miles on it so I don't think carbon is an issue.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bodo
I know you said you've run 91 octane and it worked before and now it doesn't, can you get 93 octane in south FL? Mine pings some when I gas it on 89 octane but none on 93. The reason I'm not keeping this conversation private is if someone figures this out it will be in the search. Oh yeah my motor has about 1400 miles on it so I don't think carbon is an issue.
Actually I do run the BP 93 octane in it. As a rule of thumb I've always ran 91 or better in it and that is usually indicative of a "premium" fuel. That's why I usually say 91. The junk in the trunk right now is indeed BP 93 and it pings like hell.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
Carbon based ping will occur in any IC engine....

Ovrrdrive - is that true, you have new heads and no carbon on the pistons or anything?
The head was a remanned head with absolutely no carbon at all on it, but I did a half assed job of cleaning the piston tops when I had it apart. I scraped 1 and 4 pretty well but I was a little skittish with rotating the engine at that point to get at 2 and 3 really good so I just scraped with a razor blade at them in the bores and vacuumed out the crap.

I didn't know about the 3m pads when I had it apart or I would have used them. Hindsight=20/20 you know...

The pistons weren't bad but there was some carbon left on them. No where near as much as when I went in (which wasn't a lot btw) but there was still some.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by MAXIMUS1968
I have had all of the symptoms and i have been following this thread will i accidently think i found my problem

I have recently replaced all of these parts and did maintenance on my 94 Toyota 22Re, auto tranny

Adjust TPS
Valve Adjustment
Timing Chain Replacement
Denso Iridium IW20 Plugs
Distributor Cap
Rotor
8mm Plug wires
Water pump
Belts
AFM Adjustment
Battery
Alternator
SeaFoam Treatment

I have had a problem with my timing in the past i couldn't get it to stop pinging unless i put the timing on TDC. I had to put a alternator on it today because the battery went dead yesterday and i drove to work today and the alternator started raisn cane. When i got it replaced the idling was off and was running way to fast and surging. I adjusted it down and reset the timing to spec 5*BTDC and VOILA!!!! No pinging, does this make any kind of sense???

I had posted this the other day, but i wanted to show my results
So, are you saying that it was the alternator that ended up being the problem or did you accidently do something while you were changing it to fix the problem?

That's quite a repair list you have there...
Old 10-20-2006, 01:11 AM

By the way, for the record I did put the AFM back to the stock position. It was evident it wasn't helping and it was a little rich.

Currently I have the AFM in the stock position and the timing at 5 degrees shorted. It's gettig where the weather is cooling off finally and it only pings when the temps are over 85.

Seeing as how this is so temp related, I am starting to consider the 180 degree thermostat again... Couldn't hurt to cool things off a little more.

Btw Bumpinyota, the only reason I'm not all over the wmi is that the engine doesn't come with that stock and in stock form it doesn't ping. Rather than bandaid the problem and work around it I'd like to nail it and get rid of it. Before I start throwing money at it with sensors and water injection kits, I'll tear the 22re out and drop in a SBC with an auto. Then I'll detonate the 22re in my own way...

Old 10-20-2006, 04:54 AM

It all stopped when i put the alternator in....yes it had my idling all acting up so i went and throwed the light on it and jumpered it , i set it to factory pec and set the idling {which i have never been able to do} until the alternator change. I'm not saying this is everyones problem by NO means, but it miraculously fixed my problem. You can see all my list above that i had done to the truck,
Old 10-20-2006, 06:01 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
Yep. Shorted and at 5 degrees btdc.

I have heard nothing but great things about seafoam, but to be honest snake oils worry me...

When I had the engine apart recently and did the head and timing I also cleaned the TB and intake before I put it back together. I used a ton of TB cleaner and brushed, scraped, and dug as much of the crap out as I could.

I am wondering if the cleaner I used might have eaten all of the grease out of the TPS. I have heard that there is some lubrication inside it that it needs to work right. It may just be sticking. I'll check that too.

I'm not too keen on the seafoam but if all else fails I'll buy a can and try half through the intake and half in the tank.

overdrive---I was plagued with the same ping prob in my 92 shortbed Yota 22RE....I had to run premium to minimize the prob. I did notice that when I sprayed a whole can of the injection cleaner in the intake while the engine was running that it ran "better" and pinged less. But I never got rid of the problem.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
And the TPS testing...

The readings are a little off, but it seems to working ok...

Overdrive: First, 20K ohm range is ok. But note the following:
On that scale 0.3kohms means 300 ohms
Most DVM's have a range select and an autorange. If you are really holding the range at 20kohms, and you are reading the meter correctly, then most of the readings are not right. If you are using an analog meter, you may be looking at the wrong scale.

The IDL to E2 you can think of as a switch. It eithers reads very low, or infinite.
This input is to tell the ECU that the TPS is indicating either an idle position or not. The usual readings are 17-20 ohms in the idle position, which would be 0.02kohms on the 20k scale (despite what the chart says).

Also, you can think of the other reading, the VTA-E2 reading as a throttle angular displacement reading, with 1ohm per rpm, on a linear scale.

So an Idle of 800rpm will read about 800 ohms (0.8kohms) and linearly up to WOT of 3 or 4 Kohms. What you are showing is 0.32Kohms or 320 ohms, which is way off of a full wide open reading. 320 ohms would be telling the ECU that you are at 320 rpm roughly.

If those readings are correct, then you would be totally confusing the ECU. I would think you'd throw a code, so the problem may just be your readings. But I'd check it again if I were you.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:21 AM
Contributing Member

ovrrdrive,

Thanks for the PM. I just reset my TPS. Apparently, it was off enough that I'm hopeful it will resolve my pinging issue. I won't know until I take it out on the highway or steep incline and push it hard. I'll let you know how it goes.

Troy
Old 05-06-2007, 04:00 PM

Might as well revive this old thread because with temps now going over 90F outside I'm pinging like a washing machine full of ball bearings...

The winter was pleasant for the old girl... Power was great and it rarely ever pinged, but that's all over now.

On my list:

Change EGR and related sensors finally
Upgrade to a better alternator
Throttle body cleaner
Adjustable cam gear

Those are things I've been told to try that have helped out others... After that I'll probably just start changing random sensors like the O2 and knock etc.

I don't want to go through another summer like this.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow, that really sucks!
I have been running my truck on 86 forever, runs great, no pings
I might treat her to a tank of Chevron 94 octane one day, see if that makes any difference..

Regular is 1.21 a litre right now though
Old 05-27-2007, 08:34 PM
Contributing Member

Update: I've used 4 cans of GM Top Cleaner and ran about 4 liters of sprayed water through the brake booster line. Pinging has decreased significantly. I would say at least by 75%.

I think I must have had a lof of carbon in the combustion chamber and on the valves.

Troy
Old 06-23-2007, 05:27 AM

have you had any luck yet? i have a 94 4x4 pickup with the same problem. it runs great in the morning when its cool and crappy in the afternoon, mostly pinging under load in 3rd and 4th in the middle of the throttle. it doesn't ping when its floored but it does heat up a little. it didn't ping when i bought it but after a few months of running cheap arco gas it started.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:18 AM
Contributing Member

Yes, my truck is running much better. After trying several different products: seafoam, GM Top end cleaner, I found that spraying water into vacuum lines going into the intake worked the best. It pings far less now. I'm quite sure it was an issue with built up carbon deposits.

Troy
Old 06-23-2007, 12:37 PM

I've had other priorities lately and haven't had the cash to work on it.

I can tell you that my problem isn't carbon though because my engine only has about 18k on it...

If I ever get caught up and start working on it expect updates to this thread.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:37 PM

my 1990 2wd xtracab 22re automatic had same problem with needing super unleaded fuel. it would ping on anything else.
it did at least run well on super.
i bought it with 105,000 and at 140,000 did a top end due to leaky valve stem seals causing fouled plugs.
another top end at 205,000
mechanic never could figure it out and blamed it on too high of compression.
i can afford a head gasket job for my 3.0 with the money i save not buying super.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:58 PM

Well, I may have found either the problem or possibly a work-around...

I recent had some climbing temps going on so I started troubleshooting the cooling system. I did a new cap first, then a tstat being sure to get a 180 degree one, then I bought a water pump but didn't get around to putting it on right away, a week later the rad finally cracked all the way through so I replaced it and put on the new water pump at the same time.

Now my temps are down where they are supposed to be and for some strange reason I can barely even get the engine to ping at all. If I really feather the gas just right I can get a very slight ping to start but I have to do it just right. The constant loud ping is gone.

I'm thinking what's left is due to either slightly high compression or a crappy alternator. I'll probably do a GM conversion soon and see if that fixes it the rest of the way, but I'm in no hurry now. It isn't a problem anymore.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hmmm that would do it, abnormally high temperatures! Congrads on the fix!