Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Pic of my broken flex plate that i thought was rod knock.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peow130
A guy I knew, his cousin had the flywheel blow off his 383 and up through the floor of his 57 chevy truck.
He doesn't have a right foot anymore.
Originally Posted by James Woods
Last I heard, a lot of drag strips require cars to run scatter shields for this very reason.
Exactly the reason for scatter shields..

I remember your original thread about this https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...g-area-232316/

I figured that is what it was, seen a few times when I was a tech at the iota dealer
Old 04-18-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by 1badtoy

I remember your original thread about this https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...g-area-232316/

I figured that is what it was, seen a few times when I was a tech at the iota dealer
Yeah, if it weren't for you and my friend, i would probably still be scratching my head wondering where that noise was coming from until KABLAM omgwtfmyrightfootBBQ! Thanks again!
Old 11-28-2011, 02:22 AM

New Flex Plate....But Then a New Noise

I realize this topic is old news now. Flexplates on the 5VZFE historically crack around the TC bolt perimeter in more than a few cases due to fatigue. Evidently the stamped-steel of the OEM (and aftermarket) plates are barely adequate for the forces involved over the long haul. SC engines may rush it along, although I have seen no real proof of that.

If TC mounting bolts come loose, etc. that would surely bring it to a head. But this unfortunate disease happens fairly often - after say 125K miles- even to the best-kept trucks.

I went through the same madness as most others; trying to diagnose the growing knocking noise, over a period of months. It was only when I finally found 1 posting with the pic and an audio clip depicting the flex plate cracking and its associated noise that urged me to make a closer inspection through the BH access plate. I had inspected the bolts before, but the cracking was hard to see, until I knew exactly what to look for.

Once I confirmed the cracks were there, I paid an AAMCO guy on the side to do the R/R for me, after hours.

My mistake. I provided him the plate, new bolts, and $500, since the stealerships and other quotes ranged from $600 - $800. And honestly - I wasn't in the mood to take on the job myself, nor did I have a week's time to "down" my daily driver. It took him 2 eves to complete it.

After I got it back, I discovered by ear that all is not well.

At idle, I can now hear a slight muffled raspy sound that appears to be linked to RPM. (I am positive it did not pre-date the R/R trans work). There also seems to be a very slight added vibration also linked to the engine/TC RPM. But the vibe is not noticed until hard acceleration.

It really makes me mad, considering how well I care for my truck and how good of shape it is still in. I don't know if there is a slight balance issue, or if it's possible to reassemble with imperfect alignment, or something else. But it is obvious to me it has to be re-worked.

Any experienced trans magicians feel free to hazard a guess.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by weaselman
holy crap!
^^^^^^^x2!
Old 07-31-2021, 08:18 AM

I freely acknowledge this is an ancient post and the originator hasn't been active in a decade. But there was no description for "rod knock".

I know that sound. A rhythmic dull low thunk at the bottom end - directly tied to RPM and it never really goes away. However, SO MANY people describe a knock and a tick as the same thing. Old car guys (mechanics and wrenchers on pre-1980 cars) generally don't do that - sounds were what they used to help id issues. They say knock/thunk/clunk, they mean low-frequency and usually bottom-end - block work. If they say tick/ping/click, they mean high-frequency and typically top-end - head work. Not 100% but it got them in the ballpark generally.

I am just curious what was experienced here (if others have also had this same experience) as I am hearing something similar with my 5VZFE. Most flex plate noise would generally be described as a high-speed ticking or high-frequency rasping sound - like something caught in an open spoke (much more pronounced than a rod, unless that rod failure was imminent). So, when I saw this (amazing near disintegration of a flex plate, I mean that photo... wow) described as a "rod knock" I was hoping to get some clarity.
Old 07-31-2021, 08:39 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Flex plate failures in most cases involve ring gear and starter drive gear problems drive line vibrations in many cases the sound system is so loud when asked about any noise " I did not hear anything" Till the flex plate came flying through the cab !!

Who can say any noise is hard to pin down when vehicle sounds are new to your ears and you never heard that sound and can not relate it to anything you have experienced .

talk to service writers if you want some interesting noise descriptions

just like so many can not tell the difference between weapons firing blanks as compared to live rounds once your brain knows the difference it is simple
The following 2 users liked this post by wyoming9:
2ToyGuy (07-31-2021), br549arkie (07-31-2021)
Old 07-31-2021, 10:49 AM

Received 637 Likes on 513 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9
Flex plate failures in most cases involve ring gear and starter drive gear problems drive line vibrations in many cases the sound system is so loud when asked about any noise " I did not hear anything" Till the flex plate came flying through the cab !!

Who can say any noise is hard to pin down when vehicle sounds are new to your ears and you never heard that sound and can not relate it to anything you have experienced .

talk to service writers if you want some interesting noise descriptions

just like so many can not tell the difference between weapons firing blanks as compared to live rounds once your brain knows the difference it is simple
Especially when they're flying over you on the confidence course. Or towords you
The ones coming towords you get remembered REAL well.

Have fun, all!
Pat☺
The following 2 users liked this post by 2ToyGuy:
br549arkie (07-31-2021), kraptastic_k (08-26-2021)