Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Overheating Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you put in a Fan from a Ford Tarus, you completly take out the Fan clutch from the motor. place the tarus fan between the motor and radiator to pull air across the radiator. This fan will pull more air than your fan clutch could ever dream about doing. Search and you wil find plenty of threads with photos were this upgrade has been done to other vehicles.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 4x4DemonWithin
my clutch fan is working properly its just not kicking on as soon as i would like....
What do you mean as in it's not kicking on as soon as you would like. It slowly starts spinning up when the air coming across the radiator is above around 140 and likewise slows down appropriately.
when i blast the heater yes my temp gauge will drop slightly and i dont know any thing about my ignition timing, but would that cause heat? i do some times randomly have trouble starting my engine nothing consistent at all though, and it will always eventually start!
Well, if the ignition is too far advanced (detonation occurs) or retarded (peak combustion pressure occurs near BDC), that will cause excess heat for the cooling system to deal with.
any one run a fan that is bolted directly to the place a clutch fan should go? ie a clutch fan without the clutch. how much power is actually lost and about how much mpg is lost? i run a 22re. i dont care about the airplane noise just the performance loss but if it keeps my engien cool ill grab one!
I run a stock thermostat, stock 2 row radiator, stock fan clutch and often hit 70 in 3rd gear, yet don't overheat. Were I to run a direct-coupled fan to the belt without the clutch, I'd likely never hit 70 in 3rd gear. You may not care about the performance loss, but I do, but I don't lose performance. Go figure?
and yes thank you i have figured out exactly what a viscous clutch fan is it is just the type of clutch fan that they all are. i thought viscous was some new tech stuff different than a clutch fan.....
So what is it?

Originally Posted by 4x4DemonWithin
i got a 22re in a 884runner! i am looking for your guys rigs set up on keeping the engine cool.

i am completely stock cooling right now minus a K n N air filter!
Right on!
I've got a stock 88 22RE 4Runner too. (well, it has a 4" lift kit) and a K&N drop in / stock replacement filter- no CAI or such. Stock 190F thermostat and never run over 1/2 the gauge even in 100+ Los Angeles temps while climbing the I-5 / Grapevine in 3rd gear at 70.
what i am planning:

1. stock thermostat @ 180 degrees with a small hole drilled in it, to allow constant coolant flow.
stock is 190-195
2. electric fan or fans.
tried that once and overheated
3. clutch fan with out the clutch.
That's an oxymoron
4. bigger radiator. i need some help on this one! what can/will fit in?
i am looking for the biggest radiator with the least amount of fab work. i currently have a two core rad will a 3 core make that much of a difference? i can pick one up for 100 bucks and itll bolt right in! or should i go for a monster and try to fit it in!

5. cold air intake in the form of a snorkel

thats it unless i am still running to hot on the trails! then ill go for oil cooler.

do you guys run a stock clutch fan and have no problems with it? or do u run a clutch fan with an electric fan and are good on the trails?
Read what I've said. You'll find I'm doing better with my stock stuff than what you want to do with your replacements / upgrades.

Last edited by abecedarian; 08-19-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:49 PM

1. i think my fan is just rely quiet.
2. what is a sure way to tell if if the ignition is set too far advance?
3. so a direct coupled fan is that much of a power drainer? ill stick with stock!
4. local parts guy told me 180 or i misunderstood him.
5. how would adding in an electric fan to the mix of a completely stock cooling system cause overheating issues?
K i think i might be missing something.....i have everything stock as far as cooling goes except the 180 t stat. and i am over heating. where is the heat coming from? the ignition problem is the only thing i have to go off of right now.

6. another thing i might be looking at wrong...i am talking about adding an electric fan mounted on the front of my radiator to push air through with a relay switch in my dash to turn on as needed. along with my stock clutch fan.
now the electric fans you guys are talking about go in between the motor and the radiator? thats where the clutch fan is or are u talking about having the clutch fan and an electric fan mounted inside the radiators shroud? to pull even more air through with the stock clutch fan?
Old 08-19-2009, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
Read what I've said. You'll find I'm doing better with my stock stuff than what you want to do with your replacements / upgrades.
i am running completely stock minus the 180 t stat-i was told it was stock. and i am over heating. so as of right now the only thing i have to go on is your ignition problem. witch i just might have<---i need to figure out how to know it is that though!

my brother and my dad both have 4runners 88 and 86 both 22re completely stock and never go above 1/5 on the temp gauge, and we abuse them....

just mine does?? at first i thought it was cuz of the bore but you guys have all but eliminated that from the equation! so just now this possible ignition problem!
and thank u again for the help
Old 08-20-2009, 12:02 AM

well now to throw something else out there i have been thinking about getting my injectors rebuilt they are most likely worn and i think my O2 sensor is bad. i believe my engine is running rich......could this cause the ignition problems? GOD i hope so thats like only a 30$ part or cheaper... fingers crossed!!! plz let me know what u think from your guys experience! and i cant thank u guys enough i just dont have the money to drop off at a shop and say here fix it.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:21 AM

Running rich typically runs cooler, running lean causes some serious heat!
Old 08-20-2009, 05:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Stock t-stat is 88C/190F:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...tml#Thermostat

Check the timing with a timing light and make sure the timing check jumper is in place:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...CheckConnector

Going by the factory gauge, especially what one vehicle reads vs. what another one does is sort of sketchy. My '85 reads someplace between the 1/3 and 1/2 on the temp gauge. That is where it has always run and it does not overheat, at least since installing the 3-row rad.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by automated11
Running rich typically runs cooler, running lean causes some serious heat!
hmm well i said it was running rich cuz i can smell gas sometimes and thats the word my mechanic used. how would i know if im running lean? im trying to find the source of the heat? so far i maybe running lean or the ignition timing is off..... thnx for the help
Old 08-20-2009, 03:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
An Air/Fuel meter would tell you rich/lean:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...FuelRatioGauge
Old 08-20-2009, 03:26 PM

I had over heating problems, what a I did was flush the cooling system, it was still going through water, so I thought it was the head gasket, changed that had a machinist look at it, and he did not think that was the problem.
Still was going through water, by this time I had no anti freeze, so I decided to put some in, and see if i could smell the leaks, changed the thermostat, no change, installed electric fan help somewhat.
Then I noticed water around the radiator cap change that, then water started coming out of the heater control valve, fix that, then I could smell anti freeze in the cab, so I changed my heater core out, still over heated, by my stock gauge.
I put in a after market temp gauge, then my truck quit over heating by that gauge, but no by my stock gauge.

runs at 190 barely moves up only when climbing a long steep hill.

Last edited by kdo58; 08-20-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:19 PM

i just replaced the sensor to my stock temp gauge but i to am thinking the gauge itself is off. so far all i am going to do is slap in a electric fan and a bigger radiator and keep all the other stuff stock, my clutch fan and t stat.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
or you could mount the fan where its supposed to go...not on front of the radiator..but on the back..like the engine side of the radiator??

i dont think boring your motor .040 over is gonna hurt the cooling???..as far as i know..the water passages stay the same size??

i plan on running both an electric fan and my stock clutch fan.....untill i find a tuarus fan that is. so i would need to mount it on the front of the rad inorder to keep my clutch fan intact.

boring any engine isnt going to effect cooling but it is going to cause heat witch u need to upgrade/mod your cooling system to keep up.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by crafthorse
When you put in a Fan from a Ford Tarus, you completly take out the Fan clutch from the motor. place the tarus fan between the motor and radiator to pull air across the radiator. This fan will pull more air than your fan clutch could ever dream about doing. Search and you wil find plenty of threads with photos were this upgrade has been done to other vehicles.

This is complete crap. For an electric fan to compete with the (any) manual fan, it would have to be pulling ALL the available 60 amps for the stock alternator, and then some. If you're radiator is in good shape & the stock fan clutch is working properly, you should have NO problems with overheating. My first suspicion would be clogged radiator. Did you say it was new?
Old 09-06-2009, 06:08 AM

ya i bought it rebuilt about a year ago. and it doesnt look clogged at all, i can see through it fine. i also havent done any type of 4x4n' to clog it with anything..........
Old 09-09-2009, 02:19 AM

im swapping a 3 row in for my current 2 row and i will see if that takes care of it.

im also looking for a small electrical fan to put infront of my radiator to push air through my radiator into my clutch fan. if any one can post links,pictures, stores that i can find one for cheap.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:56 PM

https://www.yotatech.com/album.php?a...pictureid=3269
Old 09-13-2009, 09:05 PM

that first pic confused the hell outta me! <---didnt see it was a turbo, then i started looking through the rest of the album. that is the cleanest sickest 22re ive seen. props thanks for the pics.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:33 AM

beautiful nightmare

thanks, but...