Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ongoing 22RE issue, Only the Greatest of mind should enter here!! :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xylicon
I have the same problem, new motor 11K on it, I've checked, re-checked, and quadruple checked the timing, egr, vacuum lines, leaks, etc. I also replaced every sensor and every ignition component on the engine, including a brand new distributor.

If I don't get it fixed soon I'm going to drive this truck off a cliff.
And by off a cliff youmean into my garage.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:32 AM

The ECU is adjusting timing because of the data the Knock Sensor is providing. Knock sensors are typically tuned to the frequency range of 7khz. Since the behavior is greatly diminished or gone altogether when the KS is unplugged, I'd start hunting for a short in that wiring. All it would take is for the KS wire to short to ground or similar and viola! 6-8khz is introduced and timing alterations begin...

And yes. Codes can be present even though the CEL is not on.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the same problem, new motor 11K on it, I've checked, re-checked, and quadruple checked the timing, egr, vacuum lines, leaks, etc. I also replaced every sensor and every ignition component on the engine, including a brand new distributor.

And that doesn't mean that the distributor is "in spec". Another member here went through half a dozen "new" ones that were out of spec before finding a "rich Porter brand" that was.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would just unplug the knock sensor and run mid grade or supreme until you can find the issue. I would lean towards the EGR or short in the wiring harness.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by skypilot
And that doesn't mean that the distributor is "in spec". Another member here went through half a dozen "new" ones that were out of spec before finding a "rich Porter brand" that was.
Good point, I have tried two Toyota distributors and I am now currently running a Rich Porter that I purchased from LCE. No change no matter what distributor I run.

Last edited by xylicon; 02-02-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:05 PM

I can only give you my experiance- My chevy 4x4 runs a TPI modded 350 with Mahle forged pistons, roller cam and Crower full roller rockers- all high quality brands. It gives the computer fits and I even put in the 'best' esc filter for noisier engines. It retards like crazy and I had to get another knock sensor mount it away from the block and ground it so the ecu doesn't 'hear' anything but thinks the sensor is working- the performance came back until I can further tune the ecm or look into the problem, I've been told the computer may also pick up failing bearings before the knock is audible. Each knock sensor in very specific to the engine configuration and at least the GM ones seem to get more sensitve as they age- which is not a good thing.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by snobdds
How is your o2 sensor? The o2 sensor takes a reading from the exhaust and corrects the fuel trim to make it run not to rich and not too lean. I have seen non OEM (bosch) o2 sensors that don't heat up enough or do not stick into the exhaust far enough to provide accurate data back to the ecu.

I know you said there is not a check engine light, but a lot of the times the light won't light up, but there are codes in there.

I would also check your fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Just put a guage in the port for the fuel pressure regulator and see what your getting.
Brand new.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by stock87
As in you've checked the EGR valve, or the PO told you it's working fine?

When you apply vacuum at idle, it should kill or nearly kill the engine. It's possible for the valve to work fine, but the passages to get gummed up. I know on the 22Rs, the sharp downturn in the pipe into the intake likes to carbon shut, even thought the valve itself is fine. I seem to recall the -REs have a fairly sharp turn into the back of the intake?
Did the full on FSM test, all new vacuum hoses. Just for the record, I blocked of the EGR system and get the same results.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by yotaman85
And by off a cliff youmean into my garage.
lol...my thoughts exactly
Old 02-02-2012, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by dfarr67
The egr diaphram may work- have you checked that the passages aren't carbed up.
You running the correct heat range for plugs?
You need to get a diagnostic flow chart.
Had the EGR off and cleaned, I would eat off this thing or use it as a straw its so clean
Old 02-02-2012, 08:01 PM

Same problem? That's good for me then, two people working on the solution. If you figure it out before me, message me!
Old 02-02-2012, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by CajunKenny
The ECU is adjusting timing because of the data the Knock Sensor is providing. Knock sensors are typically tuned to the frequency range of 7khz. Since the behavior is greatly diminished or gone altogether when the KS is unplugged, I'd start hunting for a short in that wiring. All it would take is for the KS wire to short to ground or similar and viola! 6-8khz is introduced and timing alterations begin...

And yes. Codes can be present even though the CEL is not on.
I understand the CEL, I should have stated its not throwing any codes. I have tore open most of the wiring harness and have found nothing.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:04 PM

did you check fuel pressure? clean out fuel lines?

Last edited by yotaman85; 02-02-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by 1styota4X4
i would just unplug the knock sensor and run mid grade or supreme until you can find the issue. I would lean towards the EGR or short in the wiring harness.

Been driving it with the KS unplugged, at least there's no ping.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by yotaman85
did you check fuel pressure? clean out fuel lines?

I have not checked the fuel pressure, but I do know the lines are clear. Anyone in phoenix have a tester for it I could borrow? Low fuel pressure would cause a "lean Ping" But I will look into the pressure.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:13 PM

I will be testing fuel pressure or just replacing the fuel pressure regulator. If anyone has a fuel tester built for this I would love to borrow or rent it.

Thanks for all the suggestions I will keep you posted.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbybouche
Did the full on FSM test, all new vacuum hoses. Just for the record, I blocked of the EGR system and get the same results.
It's likely because the EGR is blocked that it's pinging. There's an obstruction in the EGR system or the EGR valve is not opening when it should. The EGR valve is there to increase the apparent octane of the fuel and to reduce the combustion temperatures.

Unplugging the NS works because the ECU is now seeing a fault with NS and going into limp mode by retarding the timing to what it thinks is a safe value to prevent pinging.

BTW, are you sure you're running the right heat range for the plugs? Having too hot a plug will cause problems also.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
...I'm No expert, But Since I've been having the same problem with my 93' with 134K, AND I'd recently adjusted the Valves... I think the EGR is a valid explanation.
I started running higher Octane fuel to see if i could rectify the problem, and wouldn't you know it, it decreased So, I hate to add to the group of similar insistence, but that's why I'd go with, mon.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:47 AM

I've had egr passages blocked beyond the valve.

When's the last time you changed the fuel filter.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by InternetRoadkill
It's likely because the EGR is blocked that it's pinging. There's an obstruction in the EGR system or the EGR valve is not opening when it should. The EGR valve is there to increase the apparent octane of the fuel and to reduce the combustion temperatures.

Unplugging the NS works because the ECU is now seeing a fault with NS and going into limp mode by retarding the timing to what it thinks is a safe value to prevent pinging.

BTW, are you sure you're running the right heat range for the plugs? Having too hot a plug will cause problems also.
I assure you that that the EGR is not obstructed in any way and operates smoothly, all vacuum lines are routed correctly and there are zero vacuum leaks in this system. The plugs are factory part numbers also. As soon as I get a chance to either build the fuel pressure tester since there is no fittings on the fuel rail for one, or get a loaner I will check the fuel pressure at the pump and regulator. It makes sense to me that if the pressure is too low, it would not get enough fuel causing the ping and white plugs.

Quick Reply: Ongoing 22RE issue, Only the Greatest of mind should enter here!! :)