Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

An old article I found with some Dyno #'s

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 09:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tc
did the driver miss a shift? Just plain not do something EXACTLY the same?

My point is that the difference is too small to say it's significant and attributable to the mods - there are MANY things that can explain such a small difference.

In legalese, I would say there is plenty of reasonable doubt.
Another thing to think about: How easy is it to lose/gain 0.5 seconds from run to run, yes I know that there are plenty of guys out there that are incredibly accurate, and can get within 0.2 or 0.1 seconds everytime they launch, but most of those guys are running auto's w/manual valve bodies, and whatever else they choose to run 1/4 miles with, now they don't say in the article, but I am assuming that they have a 5spd, and I am not totally sure, but I don't our trucks like to do 60mph in second gear, so that's two shifts that they can screw up, and throw the whole thing outta wack, and like stated before, we don't have the whole picture with before and after dyno curves

Now I am not a drag racer by any means, nor do I really care at all if spending $2100 will actually get me 0.5 seconds in the quarter mile, this just all seems a little rediculous, like stated before, I would rather save up a little more and either swap in a 3.4 or just get a taco that already has one,

I will never buy a product simply because it says that I am going to get 3hp or 0.5 off my 1/4mile times, that is just plain dumb to waste that kind of money unless you are professionally racing vehicles

and why someone would even bother to print anything like this is beyond me, I am just getting so sick and tired of reading a car/truck mag, or watching a show on tv where all they do is put on headers/exhaust/intake, do a reflash of the ecu or put a little "tuner" unit in the cab and they get 40hp or whatever, yeah, I know that crap works, esp on newer trucks, it's way too easy to get hp, I just don't see how they can continually pump out the same drizzle and get paid to do it, it (automotive journalism) has merely become a way for the aftermarket to get more advertising coverage for thier goods

Sorry, I'm done now
Old 01-15-2008, 10:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For those of you who are fixated on the HP number you need not be. It is not telling the whole story, but here it is telling part of it The amount of energy produced about the are under the torque curve. In this case, a 4% improvement in total energy output was realized. A 3.4% increase in HP was realized so those numbers are fairly close. What is also interesting is the 1.3mpg improvement. That's an 8.7% improvement which means they solved some pumping losses during partial throttle driving.

Take the whole picture here. You got more power and more mpg, that is a good thing. Usually you sacrifice one for the other.

Frank
Old 01-15-2008, 11:10 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by elripster
Take the whole picture here. You got more power and more mpg, that is a good thing. Usually you sacrifice one for the other.
I don't think you can say that Frank ... I'm saying the purported difference is within the measurement variation and is therefore not "real"

If one calculates MPG accurately, they know how much variation you get tank to tank - this is much more easily explained by measurement variation than actual performance improvement. And the simplest explanation is often the right one...