Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

OK, Im convinced (oil filter brand)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 07:24 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I use toiletpaper.....in my Frantz bypass, of course.

But, I also use a WIX spin on. That Supertech sounds like a good option, though. Thanks.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:38 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Reason fram is bad is b/c its made outta cardboard covered with metal. And cheaply built..
Old 07-25-2007, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And I'm guessing everyone on this thread that says this filters is better than this and that one and all those ones has used every filter and has diagnostic proof that one is better than another? You're mostly paying for the brand and when you buy it you think ooooh this is a ____(whatever brand filter you think is better)___ filter so it must be good, whereas it would probably be just as good as the one for a dollar.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:58 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
There is a lot of information on the internet where folks do independant testing with verifiable results. Yeah, sometimes you are just paying for a name. But, some filters are just better than others. I'm not going to debate it, though. I just try to inform myself. It's all anyone can do.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 89silverpu
And I'm guessing everyone on this thread that says this filters is better than this and that one and all those ones has used every filter and has diagnostic proof that one is better than another? You're mostly paying for the brand and when you buy it you think ooooh this is a ____(whatever brand filter you think is better)___ filter so it must be good, whereas it would probably be just as good as the one for a dollar.
You won't hear any oil-related "this is best or that is best" talk from me at all. You will hear me say that Fram is crap because enough of them have been cut apart to clearly show the construction and I believe that the design has some serious flaws in it. I recommend against Fram, but other than that it's pretty much wide open.

Frequency of oil changes is more important than brand of filter IMO.

But as with everything else in this country, you're absolutely free to use whichever brand you choose based on your own opinions.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
You won't hear any oil-related "this is best or that is best" talk from me at all. You will hear me say that Fram is crap because enough of them have been cut apart to clearly show the construction and I believe that the design has some serious flaws in it. I recommend against Fram, but other than that it's pretty much wide open.

Frequency of oil changes is more important than brand of filter IMO.

But as with everything else in this country, you're absolutely free to use whichever brand you choose based on your own opinions.
I believe that 100%. There are so many good filters out there. I don't advocate one as the best, though I would adovcate a boycott on the Fram filters. I've also seen a big difference between Toyota & Fram air filters.

PS I used to change oil at Walmart, and when I worked there 4 years ago, Quaker State made their brand of oil.