Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Oil Leaking at Timing Cover Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 08:49 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Right on, Buck... I think he'll start a thread and hopefully post it up here so I and others can head over and help him on how to drop that pan and fix it in a day.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to seem so clueless, because I've never started a thread, and I'm still learning how to navigate this site, but a couple of questions to you Californicators, before I begin my journey. You mentioned something about a OEM main seal, I've got the one that came with my timing cover gasket kit, and yes it's a Felpro special. If that's verboten, I guess I need to know. When I first saw the timing chain cover gasket I thought it was mighty thin, like a piece of paper. I called the Toyota parts place and asked if their gasket was more substantial and the goof couldn't tell me. So I doubled up on the Felpros and put a thin film on RTV on and between everything. Truth be told I really don't think the oil is coming from the timing chain gasket. Although the oil pump bolt, main seal and pan gasket now seem to be the most likely suspects.
Didn't have time to go through the whole Build up adventure, but I did scan through it, wish I had of seen it before I started this the last time, but oh well.
But did I catch a reference about highjacking or jacking, if there is some secret to getting this pan out from a 4WD front axle. I would really be interested. That would take a large part of the F@3CX!!! factor out of it for sure.
Thanks again for all the great info, promise to start that thread soon, promise!
Old 03-11-2012, 12:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You need to drop the front differential down, but not out. If memory serves you need to remove the steering dampener, remove the bolts supporting the diff and let it flex down. Unbolt the pan, reach up inside unbolt the oil pick up and remove both at the same time. Clean everything really well and apply the FIPG according to the instructions in the Factory Service Manual.
Before I did it I searched and found some good threads.

Last edited by Buck87; 03-11-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:46 PM
Contributing Member

It took a little searching but here you go.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...kup-how-14413/
Old 03-11-2012, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, Buck I haven't actually gone to the link yet, but what you've described is pretty much how I did it last time. It's still kind of a pain, I was always worried about dropping the diff too far and losing everything, so I lowered it just enough to get the pan out. As I recall, I had to turn it around and bring it out backwards, or some such.
Anyway I took another look at the whole deal today after cleaning all the old oil off and running the engine. Not much going on at the timing chain cover, still not sure about the front seal,and it looks pretty suspect around the A/C mounting bracket, where the bolt goes through the cover. So, I got a lot to look at when I tear back into it.
Thanks again for the support guys.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:27 PM
Contributing Member

Is your AC leaking?
Old 03-11-2012, 08:10 PM

OOOOH, now that's sounding more and more like my dilemma, remember Buck? My Timing Cover Leakage? lol. I'll find that thread and post it up... But if it's leaking there, through the AC/Timing Cover bolt.... Your odds of getting it to stop are around 'slim to NONE'... But yes, it's possible. It's just that, well, I think I CLEARLY wasted more time messing with it than I did when I finally just tore it down, ya know? What happens is that the seal of the timing cover gasket around the oil galley breaks free and it just keeps finding a new hole to come out of, each time I sealed it up. Pull that AC/Timing cover bolt, and if oil comes pouring out of there.... voila! That's your problem(at least one of them, anyway).

I'll be back with the link if my old man brain doesn't fail me! lol.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:16 PM

Ok, ..... here's my thread of pretty much the same title/issue! lol.....

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-bolts-222987/

I believe I ended up posting the solutions and final fix in my build... So if you look where that thread stops(the date), then hit up my build around the same date, it should all be in there. I did the diff drop oil pan fix, timing cover pull, then ended up deciding to just rebuild the entire motor, on a new block, as I discovered another entirely INFURIATING problem of "My machinist cracked the timing cover portion/face of my block!"....... Hope it helps
Old 03-30-2012, 01:03 PM
Contributing Member

About 4 weeks ago I replaced the timing cover gasket. I messed up the front of the head gasket in the first attempt so on the second try I cut off the bad part of the head gasket and when I installed the timing cover I used FIPG on the top where the head gasket seals it. It worked. For the first time my motor is not leaking.
I have one reservation. Since there is no gasket in-between the bottom of the head and top of the timing cover I am concerned that torqueing of the hidden bolt that goes from the head to the timing cover may cause damage. I tightened it down using a ¼ in ratchet until FIPG started to squeeze out, but I stopped well before the specked torq. I was worried about cracking the head around the bolt, or stripping out the timing cover.
I was thinking about cutting out the part of the head gasket that goes in-between the head and the cover and around the bolt, and going back and putting it in as a spacer under the bolt. But if it is working the way it is, and I don’t really want to mess with it. If I had to do it again I would put part of the gasket back in under the bolt as a spacer
Old 03-30-2012, 01:05 PM
Contributing Member

Cut the section with the hole off and insert it under the head at the hidden bolt as a spacer.

Last edited by Buck87; 03-30-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:48 PM

Nice!

My only concerns would be a future leak or RTV making it into the cover area via 'oozing' then 'breaking off'..... NO LIKEY RTV IN THE CRANKCASE!!! lol. I know, after all your planning/research... I"M SURE you did a great job, Bud Just sharing for others that consider this, etc., ya know?

Best wishes on continued, trouble free driving!!!
Old 03-30-2012, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

That's a good way to wrap this thread ... unless it fails and I have to report back again.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:33 PM

Hahahaha.... Yeah, I hear ya.... Never know for sure which way it'll go.... But you did your best with that type of fix, ya know? Have a good one, ..... but make sure you throw me a link for any new threads you start/others you have going already, k? lol.