Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New dashpot and super high idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New dashpot and super high idle

my runner, 93 22re came without a dashpot(little spring like thing that lets the idle down slowly when you release the throttle). Now i recently put on on and now my idle is running at 1500ish when it is nice and warm (after 30min drive). Now those of you who are familiar with the dashpot no there is a little screw that the throttle bring up on and i have that adjusted right now so that its not touching at all, for diagnostics reasons, and my idle is still 1500. Now this left me to believe that when i put the throttle assembly back on (jsut the thing that the throttle cable is hooked up to that turns) during the intallation of the dashpot i must have put it on slightly askew but it only goes on one way. I took it off and put it back on but it still idles high. Now of course previous to all this i did try to adjust the idle screw but it is already out all the way, at least i cant get it out any more. Can someone plz suggest something, maybe there is a trick to putting the throttle assembly back on right? or maybe its just a coincidence that this happened at the same time.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:46 PM

sorry had to bumb it up, i was watching it fall into the abyss that is the bottom of the board when i need help bad, i think its some relatively complex underling issue
Old 04-09-2006, 08:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Humm. Pictures would be helpful. The dashpot shouldn't interfere with your idle at all. Sounds like you are having problems adjusting your idle, and you can't idle it down because the throttle is bottoming out on the dashpot. Right?

Assuming the return spring is okay the throttle, then I can only think of one of 2 problems. The first is having an incorrect dashpot either by length or strength of its return. The second would be that the bracket is bent or the dashpot itself is not adjusted. Some dashpots aren't adjustable, but some are like electrical pole switches. So they have a longer neck than needed, and you can adjust the dashpot up and down based upon the nut on top and bottom of its neck. Hope that helps. Post some pictures if you can. Good luck.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:22 PM

Before i posted i had the screw thats on the throttle back far enough so that it is not touching the dashpot(adjusted.jpeg) so right now the dashpot is not touching the throttle at all, it is just sitting there doing nothing. Now the only thing that has changed from before i put the dashpot on to now is the fact taht the throttle assembly was taken off(take of the nut with the arrow pointing to it and it just slides off and slides back on) now im pretty sure that can only go on one way and from what happened today it seems to be that it is on right. This morning the throttle was high (around 1500rpm) when warm like it has been for a week, dashpot still not touching throttle, but tonight when i got home it was down around 1000rpm and purred like a kitten. Now sometimes it does go down that low but as soon as you touch the gas it goes up and comes back down to idle at 1500 but tonight it was alright. So question #1 is what is up with the above scenario and question 2 is i havent adjusted the idle screw in about a year and all along before i even had a dashpot it was idling around 900rpm where i wanted it, but now that i think about it i dont think the idle screw should be out all the way just to get it to go down to 900 should it?
Attached Thumbnails New dashpot and super high idle-adjusted.jpg   New dashpot and super high idle-assembly.jpg   New dashpot and super high idle-throttle-assembly.jpg  
Old 04-10-2006, 04:39 PM
Contributing Member

Hummm. Well, personally I never mess with the nut you removed unless I absoluetly have to. It's easier to remove the entire throttle as an assembly. It's too easy to screw up the spring tension. When you removed the assembly, did the spring un-coil on you at all?

The other thing that can happen is that you can mess up the torque, which essentially allows the plate (the butterfly) to have too much tension, and allow poor movement of the plate in the bore. Look down the bore of the throttle and see if the plate is rubbing against the bore. In fact, check this anyway, cause this could be your problem in itself. Check for carbon build up too, which can also cause the plate to bind. If so, take some carb cleaner and get this out. The plate should be able to move freely and should snap full closed (except MAR) and do so quickly.

Also, does the dashpot have a vacuum on it? If so, you need to check the source.

Check these couple things and post back. Handle the throttle and idle problem first, then address the dashpot problem.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:22 PM

yeah i never thought about the whole tightening the nut to tight deal. But no the spring did not uncoil as far as i noticed if it did it only did a bit. It's to late for me to check tonight but i will check tommorow, but if it doesnt create the symptoms then either my problem fixed itself, well maybe not it still idles at a little above 1000 with the idle screw adjusted totally ou, or its some weird thing that comes and goes. And no my dashpot is just a spring, no vacuum. Thats what i was trying to do is fix the throttle problem first, the dashpot is only cosmetic but with a 5spd i find it makes stop and go traffic a lot smoother. tommorow i will go out and tinker with it to see what happens, thx
Old 04-11-2006, 06:02 PM
Banned

Funny, On my ex 85 Celica I turned the 1 wayvalve backwards and onmy 92 4Runner I drilled the back of that out.
I like the idle to drop fast, In my Celica with a 5spd Dropping to second I could slide corners with such grace.
In the 4Runner I probly could make the front wheels bounce jerking the throttle but afraid to brake something.

Same here its just cosmetic so smog checks dont have fit because its not there.

Last edited by ^VooDoo^; 04-11-2006 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:59 PM

yeah the idle is running pretty normal now about 1000 rpm and i didnt do anything to fix it. I dont want to fool around with it because i will probably break it again.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:05 PM

I just took my dashpot out. I know it's not smog legal here in CA, but I thought it was causing a problem and I hate emissions. Besides the occasional backfire from the throttle closing much more quickly, everything is OK. I say rip the damn thing off even if it isn't causing your problems.